Do you eat before your workout?

Options
I workout in the mornings, I get up everyday at 7:30 am and my workout classes typically start at 9:30. Should I be eating something before I workout or wait until after?

Replies

• gstaubs1
    gstaubs1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I usually eat something or drink a protein shake 1 hour before I work out. Seems like if I try to work out on empty stomach I have little energy to really push myself for a intense session. To each their own, this is what seems to work for me. Best of luck!
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat about 2 hours before my workout. I lift so I really need the food to fuel my energy
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. Some prefer to work out fasted, others like to have something in their stomach. Do whatever works best for you.
  • stac3wa
    stac3wa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing and I always do it fasted. The few times I have eaten, I've either felt sick through the whole workout or I've actually bought it up.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Only coffee
  • Clarque_oo7
    Clarque_oo7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I never eat before I train, it would be too difficult as I train at 3 am. I'd literally have to eat around 12 or 1am in my sleep, so it's fasted training for me, with a small pre workout energy drink. Everything else is in the mind!
    Hope you find your happy medium.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I eat something light, usually a banana and some dates and/or a small protein sandwich.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes. Doesn't necessarily need to be right before, but if I haven't eaten in a few hours before my workout, I will have a snack at least.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Before my morning run: no. Coffee and I'm good

Before strength training: yes, a small meal about an hour before hand.

It's just my personal preference.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    I train fasted 5 days a week - up at 4:00 to go to the gym before having to get my daughter up and off to school... I am not going to get up any earlier to eat far enough in advance of the workout to prevent giving the food back halfway thru the workout. I do have caffeine before/during the workout tho which helps.
  • LiveInLeggings
    LiveInLeggings Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If I work out in the morning, no. In the afternoon/evening I'll try not to eat 3 or more hours before just because I get heartburn.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I typically work out without eating first, but that's only because I go to the gym early in the morning before I go to work and I don't want to have to get up earlier to eat beforehand.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Morning weekend workouts are fasted. During the week I eat a light breakfast and lunch and maybe a snack mid-afternoon at least a few hours before a work out.

I get queasy and burpy (is this a word???) if I eat too close to a workout. I even do this for longer sessions of 2-3 hours. People say I'm limiting my performance, but I think puking is more limiting.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    A few months ago, I said in a different thread about this, that I couldn't eat before a workout because it made me too nauseated. Three months in, I can eat something very small and bland/plain before a workout and feel fine. I like to have something before doing weights, and usually still prefer not to eat before cardio, but if I feel like I'm fading away, I will.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I do eat before a workout. I workout in the morning. I will have something small like toast with peanut butter or some brown rice with an egg. I like to have a carb to fuel my workout and a protein to help recover. It's what works for me. I do pretty intense stuff so if I go on an empty stomach, I lose my steam too fast.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on my schedule. I'm pretty indifferent about it. I guess I tend to lean more towards eating after, though.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Personal preference makes zero difference to weight loss. I don't because it makes me feel sick.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    personal preference. sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. depends on when and what i'm doing.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you

I need to eat something before I workout or I get all grumbly and agitated and I rush through my workout to get to eat. I don't eat too much though or else it's hard to move around.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I like to train in the am on an empty stomach but not necessarily in a fasted state. so the night before I eat 300-500 grams of carbs right before bed as almost my preworkout meal