Water weight gain after injury

Options
tracengel
tracengel Posts: 28 Member
edited September 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
So I had a nasty fall off the pole this week and have strained / sprained ligaments in my back, along with a sprained hand and lovely bruised legs. Also a broken window but we won't talk about that.

In the 4 days since, I've seen a much bigger fluctuation upwards than usual day to day changes which are usually a couple of hundred grams in either direction. This time I'm up by a kilogram.

From reading here, I know that after starting new exercise you gain retain water as your muscles repair. Does it stand to reason that a similar thing is responsible for the gain here? I'm still very sore.

Edited to add: I don't expect the gain to have been actual fat gain - recent numbers wouldn't allow for the big of a jump no matter how I slice it. Just wondered if a similar process happens with injury

Replies

• mrslynda
    mrslynda Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I hope you feel better soon.

I would think it would contribute to water weight. I know that if my knees, or quads are playing up I swell, and I weigh a little more. In smaller joints, like to today my toes/ball of foot, there is swelling, but my scale is showing a loss from yesterday. I would guess the smaller muscles and joints hold less water. It makes sense to me that you should have some major swelling, as you're badly banged up, and in bigger areas. Just remember some swelling is part of the healing.

I'm sure there is a good story in this later. Take care.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    So I had a nasty fall off the pole this week and have strained / sprained ligaments in my back, along with a sprained hand and lovely bruised legs. Also a broken window but we won't talk about that.

In the 4 days since, I've seen a much bigger fluctuation upwards than usual day to day changes which are usually a couple of hundred grams in either direction. This time I'm up by a kilogram.

From reading here, I know that after starting new exercise you gain retain water as your muscles repair. Does it stand to reason that a similar thing is responsible for the gain here? I'm still very sore.

Edited to add: I don't expect the gain to have been actual fat gain - recent numbers wouldn't allow for the big of a jump no matter how I slice it. Just wondered if a similar process happens with injury

That has been my experience following injury as well as surgery. I would advise eating at or slightly above maintenance during the next two weeks to give nutritional support to your recovery.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Wishing you a speedy recovery (and to the broken window too!)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Broken window - what a pane..... ;):smiley:

Inflammation while you are sore and healing is totally normal. When I have a major back spasm I would expect a couple of pounds of swelling over my SI joint(s).
    When my knees flare up they will visibly swell (and creak) with loads of fluid around the joint.
    You might even notice a water gain from sun burn.

Regarding exercise - it doesn't even need to be new exercise to trigger water retention, the day after a long and hard ride I will expect to be heavier despite being well conditioned to a high mileage. It's expected and doesn't concern me, trust the process.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Yes, inflammation can be a cause of water retention. It's a normal part of the process. I hope you feel better soon. With broken glass involved, I'm glad you weren't hurt worse!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Are you on any meds that could cause water retention because of the injury?

Edited because typos.
  • tracengel
    tracengel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I'm feeling much better today, moving much easier, and sure enough, scale is back down again.
  • AvandHK
    AvandHK Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Funny you say this I recently got injured too and im a lot more puffy than usual but I’ve been eating more too but it’s not by much