Road trip- 17 hours

Options
Hi everyone! I am going on a road trip to visit a friend in South Carolina and will be in the car for about 17 hours. I’m having trouble thinking of what to bring that will stay good and easy to eat in a car. I will bring some fruits as those are easy but am looking for other suggestions on what to bring that are still going to be nutritious?? I don’t mind prepping some things befor hand to bring either. Any ideas?! 🙂

Replies

• ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wal-mart Equate protein shakes are as good or better than chicken breasts for calories per gram of protein -- 30g protein for 160 calories -- and they have a fair amount of vitamins and minerals. They are my go-to for road trips.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Will you not get out of the car for 17 hours? Stretch, bathroom, sleep? No places to stop and eat too?
  • shangetsfitx
    shangetsfitx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will look into those protein shakes!
    Yes of course there will be stops for the bathroom and stretching. I am just looking for ideas on food to bring with me on the trip prepared.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will look into those protein shakes!
    Yes of course there will be stops for the bathroom and stretching. I am just looking for ideas on food to bring with me on the trip prepared.

can't you take a cool box?

just pack up a normal lunch and dinner and a couple of snacks if you usually snack?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a cooler or even a lunch bag with freezer packs. Take fruit, raw veggies, sandwiches, etc. The biggest thing for me on car trips is not bringing too many snacks that are high calorie and easy to keep eating without thinking like nuts, cookies, yogurt pretzels. If you do want to bring some of those, I would suggest putting them in pre-portioned bags/containers.
  • shangetsfitx
    Options
    Thank you! Great ideas!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    cooler/lunch bag - I have a great one that you put in the freezer prior to use - it has like internal ice packs - it kept my stuff cold for a 17hr flight a few months ago

i precook protein - chicken or steak that you can eat cold; yogurt; the single serving nut packs - so many options
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'd personally plan stops at grocery stores or restaurants along the way for the bulk of my eating instead of packing a bunch of food and worrying about ideal nutrition for a day. I would expect a grocery store to probably have sandwiches, salads, ready to eat vegetables or fruit, cooked meats, tuna, hard boiled eggs. Resturants have foods that fit my goals okay.

If I packed a cooler I might bring:
    Breakfast ideas- fruit, muffins, bagel, smoothie, breakfast burrito, sandwich, yogurt, granola bar, protein bar
    Lunch ideas- salad, sandwich/wrap, fruit, vegetables, cheese, meatballs, hard boiled egg, hummus
    Snacks- small tomatoes, carrots, wasabi peas, apple, yogurt, cheese, nuts, crackers, pretzels, popcorn, beef jerky, energy balls, blueberries
    Dinner- cut up cooked meat, sandwich, cold pasta, sandwich/wrap, salad
  • shangetsfitx
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions!!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I'm all about almonds, granola bars, goldfish or cheezits and other small snacks you can munch while driving. If you can bring a cooler for larger "meal" type items then great. otherwise, just snack while you are driving and be sure to stay hydrated.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I realized enjoy eating most of my calories snacking during the trip than eating large meals. I do stop for breaks and rest stops.

So I bring strawberries, celery or other veggies that are cut up already to eat. I also get one of those mini cheese and nut samplers as a treat, which definitely isnt low calorie but it is my substitute for meals.

Nothing fried for me, even potato chips the smell lingers and after a while in the car I am not a fan.

Sparkling water is great for keeping me perky as well as gum. I find trident cinnamon gum is the best because it doesn't get tough and I chew on it for ages.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I ate quite a few protein bars during our cross-country move. Reasonably nutritious compared to a lot of travel snacks, and prepackaged, so I had a decent idea of the portion size even though prepackaged things can still have varying weights. We bought fresh fruit and other snacks along the way.