Frustrated over 50

Options
Hi my name is Kat and I have been trying to loose weight for sometime now. I don't have a scale (but will by the end of the day) so I only know what the doctors tell me when I go in, which is not too often. All I know is I am over 50 and FRUSTRATED! Are there any people from the Las Vegas Nevada area that would like to meet up for some motivational buddy talk?

Replies

• lisafitmama
    lisafitmama Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello, Kat. I too am over 50 and have been trying for about 6months to lose weight. I have tried everything from green smoothie's to fasting. I don't live near you but if find something that works for you please let me know, and I will do the same. Good luck!
  • ldmic
    ldmic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Kat. Also not in your area, but we could do a group chat for motivation. I will be 50 in 3 weeks and I am frustrated also. Just started to dive back in with a new attitude! Looking to be more healthy overall. But a few pounds off the scale will be a bonus.
  • HalfMarathons
    HalfMarathons Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MFP has worked for me in the past in order to limit my calorie intake but we'll also need weight training and cardio. Sounds like a lot and it may not seem possible...but it's necessary. So hit your calorie target, walk, run or bike for cardio and find a way to get a weight training routine in place. At 50 you're all a bunch of youngsters so I'll expect progress on all three fronts within a week.
    And for goodness sake...SMILE while you're doing it! You're gonna look great!
  • ccahls
    ccahls Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So, I am over 50 and up until 2 years ago, I always managed to lose my holiday pounds after the he holidays. Now have a difficult time losing no matter what I do. I just started walking 10,000 steps a day but everyone is tells me I need to do strength trading. I signed up a a ew gym that has circuit training and Pilates classes. Wish me luck!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yes agree with Halfmarathon you are all a bunch of youngsters!!! You can do this but you do have to stick with it and make it a life change. Good luck
  • Stampingdeb
    Stampingdeb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Reno, NV area and feel your pain! I'm 52 and have never had such a hard time losing weight. What I have found so far is that I need both cardio and strength training to see the scale go down (as well as a calorie deficit - of course). Now to be consistent. I recently started walking on my treadmill 3-4 times a week (3.5-4 mph at an incline between 5 and 9 on my machine) and lifting weights 3 times a week. I also just started tracking everything again in MFP and am focusing on eating healthy and staying active. I plan to budget treats (wine) into my weekends because I am changing my lifestyle and want to be able to sustain the changes I make so that i keep the weight off. I want to be a healthy, active grandma :smiley:
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I just turned 54. Is it harder to lose weight? Yes, but it can be done. I do a 5 day a week 30 minute kick box workout which is so fun. I log my food on here. WE will never be what we were in out 20's, but we can still be in great shape. Focus on being healthy and happy and it will all fall into place. We can all do it. Don't use age as an excuse.
  • 2hartmann
    2hartmann Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Okay, I'm back. I am so frustrated. I am going to be 60 in May and am planning a trip to Hawaii for my birthday. I would like to loose weight. I kind of gave up for a while and didn't really change anything I had been doing. I was still walking and doing yoga and eating pretty well. I don't do fast food or junk. My biggest trigger is chocolate. I am now renewed in my attempts to loose weight. I have added weight training and resistance bands and working out at the very least 4 day's a week, more when I am able. I am also cutting WAY down on "added sugar". I weighed myself yesterday and had not lost a @*&%* thing.
  • dbartelt01
    dbartelt01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also in my early 60’s . I started a while back on yoga and biking but life got in the way. I just started back in January after a wake up call about some high LDL . So far I am doing yoga daily varying the routines, stationary bike, and treadmill . Just added some weights. I cut my calories down to 1200. Maybe an option for you ? So far I have lost 8 lbs. Stay with it no matter what you will feel better
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    2hartmann wrote: »
    Okay, I'm back. I am so frustrated. I am going to be 60 in May and am planning a trip to Hawaii for my birthday. I would like to loose weight. I kind of gave up for a while and didn't really change anything I had been doing. I was still walking and doing yoga and eating pretty well. I don't do fast food or junk. My biggest trigger is chocolate. I am now renewed in my attempts to loose weight. I have added weight training and resistance bands and working out at the very least 4 day's a week, more when I am able. I am also cutting WAY down on "added sugar". I weighed myself yesterday and had not lost a @*&%* thing.

Are you logging your good? It's understandable to assume that eating better and exercising means you'll be in a calorie deficit, but that's not necessarily the case. You can eat too much wholesome food.

Check out this thread when you get a chance, and best of luck:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    2hartmann wrote: »
    I'm 64. Started a serious weight loss program 2 years ago. I have lost and regained weight several times. But I had never logged all my food until I started using MFP. That has enabled me to maintain a slow steady loss over the last two years.

You can do this, but you will need to fine tune your food intake. You mentioned chocolate as a trigger - I like chocolate, too. I have some most days - I just figured out how to fit it in to my food plan. You can do this!
  • BaVIP073
    BaVIP073 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and I have lost over 20 pounds in the past 3 months. You can do it using MFP and track your calories and exercise. I eat chocolate or ice cream every day. I just fit it into my calorie goals. When it comes to weight loss, age is nothing but a number. Good luck!