LAZY GIRL MEALS suggestions?

Options
Just started my diet up again as I am a bridesmaid on 17th November
I am the laziest human when it comes to cooking and really don’t want to live on scrambled eggs for every meal 🙄 simple meals, few ingredients & quick to make suggestions WELCOMED!

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    • Granola parfait
    • Cottage cheese with berries
    • Nut butter and fruit jam/preserve toast with cottage cheese
    • Sweet potato toast*
    • Mini pizza*
    • Sandwich (eg Cilantro turkey burger with raita or tzatziki or toasted pita with gouda, avocado & tomato or avocado & salmon toast) Flatbreads (like pita/tortillas) for wrap options, can sometimes remedy some early morning takeoffs.
    • Devilled egg toast*

* For when you're feeling up to putting in more time than you usually do to put your breakfast bites together.

ETA: Alternatively, you may consider meal delivery services or something similiar, for your meal options. Personally, I like Dream Dinners and Fresh & Easy which has unfortunately closed.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I find stir fries to be pretty easy - I know in the UK and Australia you can get fresh prepackaged stir fry veggies, so assume you can wherever you are...I just throw that along with some protein (tofu, chicken, prawns, whatever you are in to) in to a wok with a tsp of oil and cook with a low calorie sauce of my choice. Even just straight soy sauce is pretty yummy.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Fellow lazy girl here!!!!!!

My go-to quick dinner is a serving of some sort of meat, coated in seasoning and cooked in a pan or baked, with some microwaved veggies and a heated-up frozen roll on the side. Maybe some fruit after if I'm still hungry. Takes 10-15 minutes and minimal effort.

Crock pot meals are of course a great choice also. You can throw pretty much any combination of meat/veggies/some liquid in there and let it go for a few hours so it is ready when you get home. The easiest recipes I've heard of are chicken or pork with a jar of salsa or a jar of marinara. You don't even have to defrost meat or veggies first. There are plenty of blogs and recipes out there if you do a quick google search.

Making larger batches of meals and having leftovers is always an option, but I like variety so I am more likely to just make a lot of a protein, like steak or chicken. Then I can throw it into things like salads, wraps, sandwiches, stir frys, etc. Those rotisserie chickens from the grocery store are great for this too, just bring one home and pull off all the meat and it lasts like a week.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Healthy ready meals. I wouldn't recommend them every day, but they come in handy and you can steam or stir fry extra veg to go with them.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Microwave meals. I had them for lunch and dinner every day for a few years.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I batch beans and brown rice on Sundays (instant pot = zero effort). Nuke frozen broccoli, dump 100g beans, 100g rice. Squirt sriracha— boom. I also bake a bag of small sweet potatoes and eat them cold for snacks. Overnight oats in IP for breakfasts with blueberries and packaged nuts. Premade salads and pre-cut fruit bowls for lunch.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    following
    I want to know what deviled egg toast is
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I'm a fan of bag o' frozen veg + precooked protein of your choice. I keep chicken sausages and frozen shrimp on hand. Every couple of months I cook a huge batch of brown rice and freeze individual portions in a muffin pan, so I also have rice pucks to add if I need a starch.
    What is your method for freezing brown rice? I have never had much luck freezing rice.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I get individual portions of fish, or a bag of frozen chicken, or other single pieces of protein, and a frozen vegetable i cook in the microwave. It really can't get any easier than that.
  • SummerTwentyOne
    SummerTwentyOne Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Me and my family are basic, I love my food quite bland. But one of my favorites is a simple chicken rice and peas and a tiny bit of soy sauce
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy too, and I love how simple routines keep me healthy. Maybe some of my routines can help you: Every day of the week has a designated dinner "theme" - red meat, white meat, fish, soup/stew (this is repeated through planned leftovers), breakfast for dinner, and whatever/new recipe/takeaway/readymeal. All meals follow a loose "formula" - breakfast is bread, spread, milk, fruit, veg, lunch is either that or replace one or more elements with omelette, salad, noodles, porridge, smoothie, unplanned leftovers, or practically whatever. Dinners are protein+starch+veg - unless it's a vegetable soup; if so I add dessert. All kinds of meals can fit into this setup, and at the same time, it narrows down the alternatives for each day. I simplify every recipe, or skip recipes altogether.

I also schedule food shopping, portion and freeze and take out to thaw in the fridge overnight.

(I love to plan extensively, but I try not to obsess.)
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    mjrc2 wrote: »
    I'm a fan of bag o' frozen veg + precooked protein of your choice. I keep chicken sausages and frozen shrimp on hand. Every couple of months I cook a huge batch of brown rice and freeze individual portions in a muffin pan, so I also have rice pucks to add if I need a starch.
    What is your method for freezing brown rice? I have never had much luck freezing rice.

I cook my rice in the crock pot, let it cool and then just spoon 50 gram (scant half cup) portions into a muffin tin lined with plastic wrap. Freeze until hard and put in ziploc bags with all the air pressed out. When I reheat it, I add a spoonful of water and zap for 30-60 seconds. The water during reheating seems to make the most difference to the texture.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

I freeze and reheat rice regularly. I cook it in a rice cooker, let it cool completely, then weigh it out into freezer bags and flatten them out to freeze. I reheat it directly in the freezer bag and it comes out perfect every time without having to add water. I've done this with brown, jasmine, basmati and flavored rices.

OP because I'm also sometimes lazy, I will cook chicken and some sauce in the slow cooker (general tso sauce, tikka masala, marinara, salsa, whatever I can find in a jar that tastes good) and portion the chicken and rice into bags together, freeze them in flat planks and reheat for lunches at work.
  • roniqua24
    roniqua24 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I freeze and reheat rice regularly. I cook it in a rice cooker, let it cool completely, then weigh it out into freezer bags and flatten them out to freeze. I reheat it directly in the freezer bag and it comes out perfect every time without having to add water. I've done this with brown, jasmine, basmati and flavored rices.

OP because I'm also sometimes lazy, I will cook chicken and some sauce in the slow cooker (general tso sauce, tikka masala, marinara, salsa, whatever I can find in a jar that tastes good) and portion the chicken and rice into bags together, freeze them in flat planks and reheat for lunches at work.

Really good idea! I just purchased an instapot so I will definitely try this. When you track it do you track the sauce to? or is it not that much to worry about?
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!!!!!
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I cook large pots, I got a express cooker and a slow cooker, let it cool and then keep it in individual portions in the freezer. I cook three or four different meals every two weeks and that's it, then I just have some salads and meat free in the grill. Some recipes:

- Ratatouille: canned chopped tomatoes, courgettes, aubergines, onions, black pepper, chopped onions, garlic and some vegetable seasoning.
    - Double bean meat free chilli: a can of chopped tomatoes, a can of cooked mixed beans, some (Tesco) free meat mince, chopped onions and chilli.
    - Veggies and lentil soup: red lentils, carrots, celery, a leek, chopped tomatoes, coriander, garlic and vegetable seasoning.
  • PloddingTurtle
    PloddingTurtle Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    One of my go-to simple basics is vegetable soup that I make (very similar to this recipe linked here: Big Batch Vegetable Soup) I've personalized my recipe to one I really enjoy. This past long weekend I made a massive stock pot full using broth I'd previously made from chicken carcasses and frozen and used up all the sorry frozen vegetables in my freezer that had too much ice build up in them. I will also use of commercially prepared stock or bouillon cubes if I don't have chicken stock already made. It's just as good. This is a great way to clean out all the vegetables that need to be eaten quickly but are no longer at their peak of perfection, though I usually just resort to using a 5-lb bag of mixed frozen vegetables because the veggies are uniformly sized and there is less chopping involved. Then I freeze the soup in 1-gallon pails.

A defrosted 1-gallon pail of soup will barely last me a week because I eat it every day and sometimes as a snack. It sits on the bottom shelf of my refrigerator, and I use a two-cup measuring scoop to portion out a serving. I occasionally add whatever I feel like to the individual bowl of soup -- potato, rice, beans, any left over meat -- to make it a slightly different meal. I really prefer hot vegetable soup over cold vegetable salad in the winter.