Maintaining weight while losing fat/gaining muscle. Is it possible?

Options
j22zh8z0wyb0.jpeg

Hey everyone!

I'm 5'6 and 118lbs. I'm fine with my weight and have not been trying to actively gain or lose pounds, but I'm not happy with the way that I look. I've had a high body fat percentage my whole life and recently have started taking exercising more seriously. I do cardio 3x weekly for 30 minutes (generally elliptical or brisk walking) and 30 minutes of pilates, resistance bands, or HIIT 5x weekly (I started this about a month ago but admittedly have taken some extra days off in the process). I eat a pretty balanced diet and am eating maintenance calories.

I'm pretty new to all of this and can't afford a personal trainer or anything, so I'm not sure if I'm doing the right regimen for my goals. I feel like I haven't seen anyone with my stats look the way that I do, so I can't tell if I just have a weird body or if I need to be doing something differently. I'd like to look more lean/defined.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You don't look to be remotely at a high BF%...

But to alter your body composition you need to hit the weight room or otherwise do some form of progressive overload resistance training. The bands aren't going to do much for you and cardio, cardio, and more cardio isn't going to either.

There are a multitude of good beginner programs out there...probably the most popular program geared towards women is Strong Curves...There's also New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely change your body composition whilst staying at your current weight (commonly referred to as "recomping") but you'll need to start doing some resistance work, as Wolfman described. The two programs he mentioned are well-regarded and there are plenty of women here who lift and have good results to show for it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's not just possible it's totally normal for anyone training effectively.

You certainly don't have a high body fat - sorry but that's a feeling and not reality.
    You are also missing the optimal exercise to lose fat / gain muscle - resistance training.

Cardio (especially cardio with a high resistance factor) can certainly change your body but it's inefficient if that's your primary goal.
    To grow your muscles you need to challenge your them beyond their current capabilities.