Anybody taking Sertraline (Zoloft)? Advice needed.

Options
Hello! I was wondering if anyone on here is taking Sertraline (Zoloft), or has done in the past?

I am currently taking it and am due to be coming off it in September, however I have ran out (I thought I had another pack) and by the time I sort my prescription out, I will have gone just over a week without taking them.

I'm wondering if I will do myself more harm than good by not taking them for a week and then going back on them, only to be taken off them again in September?! (I hope I'm making sense here...!)

I know it is bad to mess about with them, as I have been on them in the past and came off them too early (as in a few months too early), but as I am due to come off them in September anyway, do you think I would be better off just staying off them now?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• MrsPike07
    MrsPike07 Posts: 160
    Options
    I took myself off them a few years ago and it was hard but I think I did it too fast. You may experience some bouts of being light headed and just plain feeling weir but after a week of not being on them you may go through the "withdrawls" and be okay. Good luck! I would actually call your dr and see what he or she says just to be safe.
  • NicoleLyn1818
    Options
    I have had patients taking this during clinicals (I'm a nursing student) and I've looked up this drug. I don't think there's a huge difference of not taking it. Were they going to taper you off of it or just stop it?

I am not a doctor though, so I would ask your primary doctor.
  • cameralinds
    Options
    I've taken Zoloft in the past and stopped cold turkey once. The Psychiatrist was not happy about that. The side effects were pretty horrendous if I remember correctly.I was dizzy and felt like I hadn't eaten anything in weeks, not out of hunger, but a sick stomach. my stomach felt like a hollow hole and I was very foggy. The withdraws definitely aren't worth going against doctor's orders.

I would still get your meds sorted out... at least that way your psychiatrist would be able to keep an eye on you...a week without them, you're weening process will be less difficult.. hopefully.

Although I am not a professional so I can't really tell you what harm it does to your body, or whether it's the right or wrong thing to do. I will wish you luck though. I hope everything gets sorted out so that you can get safely off the med.

:)
  • scante60
    scante60 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Not a doctor here, but I speak from personal experience when I say it's NEVER a good thing to quit antidepressants cold turkey. You will experience symptoms similar to withdrawal - nausea, headaches, etc. It's not pleasant, and if you make it through that, you will again experience side effects when you jump back on at the dose you had been taking. That's why doctors taper you on and off the meds.
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    I would not quite cold turkey if I were you.. Zoloft is really addicting without realizing it and you will experience some pretty bad withdrawal symptoms. I quite taking zoloft last year and even though I slowly stopped taking less and less and every other day to try and wean myself off, it took months to stop feeling the nausea and light head. It was not a fun time.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Talk to the doctor managing your medicines right away. Let them know what is going on. These type of meds should be carefully managed by a doctor...you don't want to mess with them and make decisions like this without speaking to a professional (speaking from experience).
  • devineyallen
    Options
    If I were you I would talk to your primary doctor. I just graduated nursing school and from what I know it is not good to just "stop" taking Zoloft. It is a drug that is usually tapered down til your eventually off the med. It will cause a few side effects when quit taking it whether abruptly or by tapering it. Nervousness, light headed and dizziness. My husband took cymbalta and had to taper off the med and had side effects.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've taken Zoloft in the past and stopped cold turkey once. The Psychiatrist was not happy about that. The side effects were pretty horrendous if I remember correctly.I was dizzy and felt like I hadn't eaten anything in weeks, not out of hunger, but a sick stomach. my stomach felt like a hollow hole and I was very foggy. The withdraws definitely aren't worth going against doctor's orders.

I would still get your meds sorted out... at least that way your psychiatrist would be able to keep an eye on you...a week without them, you're weening process will be less difficult.. hopefully.

Although I am not a professional so I can't really tell you what harm it does to your body, or whether it's the right or wrong thing to do. I will wish you luck though. I hope everything gets sorted out so that you can get safely off the med.

:)

Agreed. These medications are best managed by a professional.
  • Agree with everyone! Best to contact your doctor. I did a doctor's withdraw of the medication and still felt pretty crappy. Nausea, headaches, sleeplessness, and bouts of lightheadedness I called face lightning. My doctor did say that fish oil would help reduce some of the symptoms, but again, best to check with your own since everyone is different. Good luck
  • LMorrison1009
    LMorrison1009 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Call your doctor ASAP. Even if your insurance won't cover more right now your doctor may be able to get you samples or prescribe something else to get you through the withdrawals. Anti-depressants should never be stopped cold turkey. I stopped my prozac that way years ago and it was awful.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Pharmacist here...

My suggestion: call your physician and let him know that you have run out, and let him make a clinical decision (i.e. keep taking it, start tapering down, or just stop altogether). Yes, Zoloft is usually tapered down before stopping. Sort of depends on what dose you're on, too, though. Best to leave it to the physician to decide.