An eggplant, heirloom tomato, and red pepper walk into a bar

Options
slimdownspicey
slimdownspicey Posts: 110 Member
So I've got 2 beautiful eggplants, a HUGE heirloom tomato, and some red peppers from my CSA. I'd like to use at least the eggplant and tomato together...any suggestions?

Replies

• JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Roasted homemade eggplant Parm and turn the pepper and tomato into a home made sauce
  • Sgriffin2382
    Sgriffin2382 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Eggplant parmesean is the first thing that pops in my head. I have never had eggplant before, but that is what I immediately thought of :-)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/lighter-eggplant-parmesan-5-pts.html
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Slice them both fairly thick, spray with olive oil cooking spray and grill outdoors on on an indoor grill pan! Tastes wonderful!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Cut up and saute them with a little bit of olive oil, maybe 1 tbsp or so. Add some spices, such as rosemary and thyme or salt and pepper to taste. (Leave out the red pepper, assuming it's the hot kind. If it's the sweet kind, I would put it on the side. Cut it into strips and serve with an ounce of salad dressing for dip.)
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Soooo, what's the puncline? lol

I am not a fan of eggplant so I can't help you there but if you take those red peppers and slice them thin lengthwise and add some onion and a drizzle of olive oil and pepper or season to taste it roasts up real good as a side. It only takes a few minutes so check often in the oven. I am addicted to carbs but when I roast peppers it takes away that craving for potatoes or rice as a side.

I'd use the tomato for some turkey bacon blt. yummmmm.

Good luck!
  • LadyMarylou
    LadyMarylou Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You could make a Tian, provencal receipe.. its delicious!

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Side/Tomatoes/recipe.html?dishid=8290

With some fresn oregano, basilic or thym
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I was gonna suggest eggplant parm as well, it's my favorite food! Now I want some thought lol
  • amycakes812
    Options
    My first thought on seeing that is Ratatouille! YUM. Chop them up into about 1-2 inch chunks, If you have it, add some onion, garlic and fresh herbs (dried will work also) some cracked pepper, sea salt and olive oil. Saute onion and garlic in oil in a dutch oven, add veggies and stir for a few minutes. Add herbs, salt and pepper, stir and simmer for about half an hour or until eggplant is tender and tomatoes have cooked down.
    This is a pared down recipe based off of what you have available. Could also add squash and zucchini. When ratatouille is done, you can grate some parmaggiano-reggiano over it.

You have completely inspired me to go to the farmer's market this weekend to make this! :smile:
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    ooh, CSA veggies! I get mine tomorrow. :) If I were you, I'd do... baba ghanouj with roasted red peppers and tomatoes. I've never made it precisely like that before, but I'm already salivating thinking about it.

Have you made eggplant dip before? It's easy - split the eggplant in half lengthwise, rub a little oil over each side of it, and pierce the skin a few times with a fork. Place cut side down on a pan and roast at 350º or so for 30-45 minutes or until you can easily slide a fork/knife into the flesh. You can roast the peppers and tomatoes at the same time - just stick them in a separate pan, rub with a little oil, and remove them when the pepper skins are charred-looking and the tomatoes are soft. Remove the eggplant from the oven and allow it to cool a bit, then scoop the flesh into a colander. Sprinkle some salt over it, squish it around, and let it drain while you get everything else ready. Pick out some spices you like (I go for salt, black pepper, garlic, cumin, and cayenne pepper) and peel the roasted peppers. Put the eggplant, peppers, and spices in the food processor and blend well. Taste and see if it needs anything else - maybe lemon juice? Some tahini if you have it? Whatever you want! Chop the tomatoes roughly and stir them gently into the eggplant mixture.

There you have it! Baba ghanouj with roasted red peppers and tomatoes. Maybe get some pita bread up in there, or sliced cucumbers, or squash... I hope I get some eggplant in my CSA share tomorrow so I can try this!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    make lasagna! Use the eggplant sliced long instead in the lasagna instead of pasta. add meat. Use the tomatos for sauce and add pepper to it :) Good luck!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    .... While walking up to the bar, the Eggplant trips and slams his head into a barstool.

The tomato and the Pepper call an ambulance, and they take him to the hospital. The pepper and tomato call the hospital and ask the doctor how their friend the eggplant is doing, and the doctor says:

"Bad news, I think hes gonna be a vegetable for the rest of his life"

;)