New-ish Member

Options
Hi all! I've been on MFP for a little while (according to my tracker, I've logged for 10 days in a row! Woo!) but haven't yet introduced myself. My name is Leesa, I'm 32 years old and live in PA. I've always been overweight and have lost various amount over the last 5 years but always end up gaining most of it back. I do have specific goals in mind, but right now I'm tracking my goal to make it into onederland! :) My NSV goals are to get thinner so I can take my son to amusement parks and to someday run a 5k.

My biggest issue right now is drinking enough water... I feel like I'm drowning! :) And at the same time, I know I'm not drinking enough. Ugh!

Replies

• Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I have a terrible time with getting water down and that is all that I drink. I can drink all day and still maybe only accomplish 4 glasses a day. I am like you if I force it than I feel like I am drowning, plus I am up many times in the night. Wrecks my sleep. lol Best of luck to you.
  • rgsmi
    rgsmi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    First off, welcome and good luck.

I have found this to be a great site, with lots of encouraging people and good advice.

My one comment - water is good on multiple levels. It keeps you hydrated, helps flush your body, helps keep hunger away, and sometimes people eat because they are actually thirsty.

That said...the "8 glasses of water/day" thing is a myth--and if you are forcing yourself to guzzle water just to meet that goal, you may be causing unnecessary work for yourself. As long as you are accomplishing the things I mentioned above...you don't need to keep drinking. And of course, your needs will vary per day depending on the amount of exercise, salt intake, outside temperature, humidity, etc.

Also, drinking virtually anything will hydrate you--water is just the purest and doesn't have calories or additives--and obviously some choices should be done in moderation (my personal addition, Diet Coke, has all manner of reasons it's bad for you.)

Anyway, again good luck!

ps. Link to an article I just pulled off Google on an "8x8" glasses of water story with some references to studies: http://www.minnpost.com/healthblog/2011/07/13/29954/
  • tribalwolf4
    Options
    I'm proud of you, sis. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. *hugs* Love ya.
  • sleepydaisy7
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement (and Hi Irma!).

rgsmi - thank you so much for the link! I don't feel as bad after reading that article - it was very informative and interesting. I think I'm going to rethink my water intake and worry a less about it.