Keto diet

Options
I just started keto diet on 8-22-2018.i stick to 30 carbs a day I struggle to get 1000 calories in due to meats salads n veggies don't have much calories. I also am a diabetic n my Dr encourages me to try this but I also I have inappropriate sinus tachycardia (rapid heart for no reason) n it seems to getting worse last reading 117 laying in bed is this normal is any of this normal? Start out weight 147lbs as of today I been bouncing back n fourth with 140-141lbs...yippy for water loss. Oh also my thyroid is high at 7.5 but declined meds. I'm already take diabetes pills (metformin) and anxiety meds (Ativan) really don't wanna add levothyroxine and a beta :(:'(:'( blocker!

Replies

• SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Levothyroxine would only be replacing what your body is struggling to produce naturally. Please don’t decline medication that you need! It’s easy to look at all the meds and think you don’t wanna be on any more, but I really don’t think your body will be looking at it that way. Give yourself a break, if you’re not giving your body enough calories at the very least give it the hormones it needs to function.

It’s surprising to me that you can be wondering why your body is struggling when you’re eating under 1000 calories and declining medication.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Have you been tested for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS)? If you have a normal rapid heart beat, and it increases based on level changes, there is a good chance you have POTS, which can only be determined through a tilt table test by a cardiologist. If you do have POTS, a beta blocker and a very high salt diet are primary treatments.

Also, you should get calories up a bit.. 1000 calories is a bit low.

ETA: One interesting thing to note. My wife was constantly told she had anxiety, throughout high school, based on many of her symptoms, but after she was examined by an endocrinologist and a cardiologist, she was determined to have POTS, and not anxiety.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting plenty of salt. You will need extra salt with keto because of the water loss. I have no idea if that might be contributing to your heart issue, but that's probably best to talk to your doctor about.

As for getting your calories up to an appropriate level for good nutrition...try adding calorie dense foods like nuts and nut butters, eggs, full fat dairy, salad dressings that are high calorie, etc.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Also building on a post above, I was suspected to have a varying degree of mental health issues that were for the most part, put right when I was diagnosed and treated for hypothyroidism. Long story short, take your meds.