Diet vs. Lifestyle Change

Options
Taken from Page 12 of The LEARN Program for Weight Management by Kelly D. Brown, Ph.D. "The word diet conjures up images of deprivation and suffering, but most of all, it is something that you go on or off. Whether someone is "on a diet" or "off a diet" is part of our modern culture and language. Herein lies a key issue. Changing habits is not something that happens while a person is on a diet and then stops later when the diet ends. This implies a temporary solution, a quick patch job that only requires effort over the short term. We are seeking a permanent solution. Instead of a quick, temporary fix, we want permanent lifestyle change. This involves establishing new habits and working hard to make them part of the day-to-day life. Most people who struggle with weight have a chronic problem, and chronic problems require attention over the long term. ............The LEARN Program, emphasizing gradual, sustainable, and permanent changes in eating, exercising, thinking, feeling, and acting."

Replies

• pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Been on "diets" all my life. Gained back every time plus more when then "diet" stopped. Time for a change for the rest of my life.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This is how I am approaching it as well. I simply tell myself "I am changing my life." Much like if I changed careers, or opted to marry/divorce/have kids - major life decisions. I am deciding to eat better, exercise more, and BE different than I have been. I have not once felt deprived. Because I am not on a diet, I can have cake or pie or carbs. I just have to choose them, and then choose to be more active, or choose to watch the portion, and choose not to have them every day because not every day is a special occasion.
  • DDub4ever
    DDub4ever Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this! I have dieted my whole life and it has not worked. Now that I'm looking at it as a lifestyle change and not a diet, I'm finally having success. I try to explain this to people but they don't always get it.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is why MFP is so great. l You don't have to be on a diet, but you can monitor what you eat. Portion control and eerything in moderation is key! MFP helps you do this by tracking your nutrients etc. Don't forget to exercise. Our grandparents never really exercised as their living means were quiet different and they never dieted. Soooo we have to take our lifestyle into perspective and be like our grandparents, moving more and eating smaller portions. This is so true. Take a look at the plate sizes compared to a few generations back.
    Just had to comment on this one.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    This is another reason why eating more is better. It's sustainable forever.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm on a "diet" to create a deficit so that I can lose weight. The lifestyle will be once I've reached goal.