How to beat sugar cravings

Options
I’m just starting my weight loss journey and am having a hard time with my sugar addiction. I eat healthy meals but can’t pass up a donut or will binge on ice cream.

What tactics have you used to get past your cravings? Is it to allow yourself something sweet each day or totally disengage from desserts?

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Personally I was a candy addict eating two or three bags in a sitting before losing weight. I had to get my eating balanced and decided on cutting out candy with sugar and substituting sugar free. That limited me because I am sensitive to sorbitol so I couldn't eat it mindlessly. Then I started walking and miraculously found it reduced my appetite. I have since (three years now) had the odd craving and occasionally indulge in a small dessert but usually when I am eating more sugar than I should I find I have been eating less protein and fat and too much carb. When I adjust my macros it gets better. Take your time and you will get there. Do what works for you and accept that changing habits takes time. Good luck.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Options
    Personally, I have things made with stevia instead. The lack of sugar reduces the overall calories and usually helps me get in that sweet treat. But sugar is my weakness--I literally cannot be left alone with candy corns!!!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Mini tootsie roll pops get me through sugar cravings. They are 20 calories and worth every one.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    My big weakness when it comes to sugar is soda. For me, progressing towards cutting it out is what helps me succeed. I start out every other day. And then gradually put more days in between when I have it, until I can finally cut it out completely.

Also, there isn't anything wrong with enjoying those things from time to time. Just watch how much of it you eat. Best of luck! :)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I completely avoid foods which I can't have just one portion of. However every now and then I skip a meal or two and allow myself to go a bit above maintanance in favour of several portions of the food in question. Like 5 doughnuts with cocoa! Yum!
    If I didn't do that I'd be very unhappy and frustrated. But I have to do it on rare occasions only.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Try chromium picolineate supplement, cheap and effective
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This post says it's all in your head.
  • jsb0726
    jsb0726 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I went keto and it helped me fight the addiction. Took a bit of will power but my cravings are no where near what they used to be to the point I may go several days without sweets.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Please remember we have a debate board for debating. You are welcome to start a thread there any time when something interesting pops up. Please keep the threads on the General Help Board and Getting Started focused on the questions presented by the OP of the thread.

Thanks for your cooperation,
    4legs
    MFP moderator
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    My cunning plan to beat sugar cravings is to weigh the sweets and log them honestly. I don't pretend to avoid them.

Are you channeling Baldrick with you cunning plan?
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I go for healthy sweets first. For example, I frequently have BelVita Chocolate Breakfast Biscuits (240 calories, 3g fiber, 3g protein) and a cup of tea with 1 packet of raw sugar for breakfast. That's a little sweet without the sugar bomb of a filled doughnut and more satiating. When I pack lunches I will usually have fresh strawberries or blueberries in it or a cup of fruit on the bottom yogurt. Post dinner & workout I might have a Chobani flip if I have the calories.

Last night I had 4 fun sized candies from the bowl for trick-or-treaters and stopped because I was out of calories for the day.

We all have days when we fail to have a "perfect diet", but I try to plan those. Like when my parents fly in for this weekend I know we are going to go to Snooze and have their insane pancakes. So knowing that's coming up in a few days, it's easier to resist the free donuts that have a habit of walking into work.