Question about FAT.

Options
On myfitnesspal for yesterday-
Total fat 71, Saturated fat 9, Polyunsaturated fat 2, Monounsaturated fat 7, Trans fat 0.
That doesn't add up to 71 so what happened to the rest of the fat? Anyone know what kind it is?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Most entries don't have the break down of total fat in to the trans/poly/mono/saturated.
  • DonnaNC2022
    DonnaNC2022 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So you mean that most of the foods I entered on my diary don't break down the fat like that and therefore my numbers are not adding up?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Most of the entries are user entered. There's no guarantee that it's accurate. You have to check your entries for accuracy.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    So you mean that most of the foods I entered on my diary don't break down the fat like that and therefore my numbers are not adding up?

Thats right.
    A lot of food labels show total fat and saturated fat, a complete breakdown isn't always available and many users may not care to add the breakdown info.

If there's a particular reason you need to know an accurate breakdown of total fat intake?
  • DonnaNC2022
    DonnaNC2022 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Curiosity. Looking at nutritional breakdown is totally new to me. I am trying to familiarize myself with what is important and what is not important.
  • brandy_losinit
    brandy_losinit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had a question similar to yours. I am trying to understand why my set goal for poly and mono unsaturated fats is 0. They are good fats to have. But i can see that if the fats aren't typically broken down on a lable panel, it would be hard to figure it accurately.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I had a question similar to yours. I am trying to understand why my set goal for poly and mono unsaturated fats is 0. They are good fats to have. But i can see that if the fats aren't typically broken down on a lable panel, it would be hard to figure it accurately.

The number attached to saturated fats is a suggested limit, not a goal. There is no limit for unsaturated fats.