Feeling miserable

Options
Recently discovered intuitive/mindful eating & it seemed like the answer to my prayers. I’ve done weight watchers loads of times & tried to lose weight via mfp too but it always came back on. I’m following the Beyond Chocolate approach but I’ve gained even more weight. Should I keep following it or should I go back to traditional diet methods & just put up with restrictions & feeling miserable again?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I think my problem is the all or nothing mentality

Hows that worked out for you so far?
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you like and stay within your calorie budget every day. I lost 30 pounds by logging on MFP and having a dessert (slice of pie, 2 cookies, small portion of cake) nearly every day. I don't feel happy when I feel I have to give up everything I enjoy. I did start drinking a lot more water between meals, which kept me feeling fuller. The key for me was to decide I wasn't depriving myself, I was treating myself to better health, more energy, and a more attractive body.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    To lose weight:

1. Eat less
    2. Repeat step 1 as necessary.

No special diets are required for weight loss. There are no magic foods that cause weight to increase or decrease (you don't have to eat stuff you don't like, nor give up stuff you do like). Simply eating at a calorie deficit is enough to lose weight.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Well, you’ve got a couple of options here.

You could just get rid of your scale. Your weight never goes up if you don’t weigh yourself.

OR

You could figure out a way to consume fewer calories than your body requires and implement that strategy. Which will undoubtedly lead to restrictions and possibly feeling miserable again. (Note- eating less than you want to, whether by specific design or by ‘mindfulness’ is, by definition, living with restrictions.).

OR

You could change your goals related to weight management.

You might be thinking I’m not being very sympathetic here. More that I’m trying to provide a little reality check. Which can also be useful in the process.
  • lorindariess
    lorindariess Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try a little of both? For example when eating weigh your food when possible for a week and write everything down with no judgement. Then input everything in after and see how many calories you consumed. Then you can look back on it and say did I have maybe a larger serving of mashed potatoes than I thought or maybe I need to add more vegetables to my day.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost over 70 lbs. I’ve maintained my loss since April 1, 2018. Some days I’m really hungry, even in maintenance, but most days I’m so happy I’m not fat anymore. I didn’t ever get to “miserable” when losing the weight or maintaining the weight. You can’t do extreme changes, but you do have to count your calories to eat in a deficit.

There was A LOT of misery with being obese and overeating. I fight the battle to maintain every day, but it’s so worth the fight! I refuse to go back to misery!
  • lacatgirl
    lacatgirl Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've done the whole eat what you want mindfully thing so many times! It really makes sense but honestly I just gain and gain! I have given up on that snd now count calories allowing myself to make some of them unhealthy but needed! I will have a carvel cone 1x a week for lunch! It keeps me sane! Also I save calories si I can have a treat (usually halo top) at night! This keeps me honest all day... Good luck hope that helps!