Zero Fiber Diet

Options
Has anyone been on a zero or low fiber diet? If so- just curious what you ate because everything I usually eat is on the do not eat list except yogurt and butter lol- not a fan of white bread! Any ideas are welcome

Replies

• sam_juggins
    sam_juggins Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Usually, your doctor would give you an example list of foods. Have you not received one?

What things do you usually eat?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Do you have ibs-c? Its recommended that a low fibre eating plan can help in some cases. No fibre would be very hard to implement, but total carnivore diet is not unheard of.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Do you have ibs-c? Its recommended that a low fibre eating plan can help in some cases. No fibre would be very hard to implement, but total carnivore diet is not unheard of.

If you have ibs-c it is the common recommendation to increase your fibre to alleviate constipation and not to go for a low fibre diet which could make the condition so much worse. Fibre helps to bulk and soften stools which makes them easier to pass.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    steak and bacon would go to the top of my list
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm on low fiber
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    phoebe1975 wrote: »
    It is just a temporary diet- about a week and a half- for diverticulitis. I thought other people might have had it because it is apparently quite common. I do have a list of ideas from the GI doc, I just thought other people might have a fave food or something else off the list with low fiber- no big deal, thanks though

Why don't you post the list from your doctor here? Might be helpful for someone else.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What do you usually eat? What things are you missing? This may be helpful in coming up with specific temporary substitutes.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    phoebe1975 wrote: »
    It is just a temporary diet- about a week and a half- for diverticulitis. I thought other people might have had it because it is apparently quite common. I do have a list of ideas from the GI doc, I just thought other people might have a fave food or something else off the list with low fiber- no big deal, thanks though

Now all the pennies are falling into place in my mind as your original post was leaving me somewhat baffled as to why. I guess that is because some around these parts start these really weird and restrictive diets for no other reason than they read about it being good for weight loss somewhere online.

My guess is that the list you have already been given would be as comprehensive as anything that is said on these forums.

Good luck with the next few weeks. I hope this helps with your condition. I have never heard of diverticulitis before. Might have to look it up :)
  • scaye103092
    scaye103092 Posts: 48 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Diverticulitis sufferer here! Generally if I’m going low fiber because I can feel an outbreak coming on I go full liquid and maybe toss in a protein shake here and there to feel a little more full. It’s not the most fun thing in the world but it helps a lot. I was diagnosed about a year ago and have had a few flare ups while I’ve been figuring out what to eat and it’s one of the worst pains I’ve ever had. I went to the ER thinking my appendix had burst only to find out I’m 25 with an illness most people don’t get for another 15+ years. And be sure when you’re done doing the ‘cleanse’ you actually increase your fiber intake. Seems silly that you’d decrease during a flare up and increase the rest of the time but it does really work. Just make sure you know what your problem foods are and try to avoid them. I personally can’t have broccoli, corn, fennel seeds, chia seeds, or anything too spicy!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    Have fun with the squirts....
    Not trying to be gross but fiber is quite essential in a healthy diet....

Probably not a very helpful answer now that we know OP is doing this for a specific medical reason.

Low fibre is quite essential, temporarily or permanently, for people with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis and the like.