40/35/25 Macro meal plan ideas?

Options
Hey
I’ve been trying to track Macros on a 40 protein, 35 fat and 25 carbs basis but I’m having problems getting enough protein and also working out how and where to bring in the carbs without going over.
I’ll eat most things, not fussy... does anyone have a week or so of meal planning for this kind of balance or know where I can find inspiration... thank you in advance

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Why so high on the protein? What is your weight and calorie allotment?
  • clairecornwell
    clairecornwell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Goal is weight loss BMR 1275cal per day weight 65kg goal is 58kg. Training 5 times per week HITT and weights. Macros advised by trainer - does this help?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I'd personally interchange to protein and carb ratios if it were me. There is a reason you are struggling to meet protein needs. I'd also be eating more too. How about see a dietitian instead of relying on a personal trainer for nutrition advice?
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I frequently eat around 50% protein (30-40% fat and 10% or lower carbs). It’s doable - I love the foods I eat and feel full - i eat between 1200-1500cal/day depending on how hungry I am :-)

This week I’ve made up to have

Turkey meatballs cooked in tinned tomatoes and herbs with cheese (you could add a bit of carbs under this to change your macros slightly)
    Prawns (I eat these as a snack)
    Chicken breast stuffed with light cream cheese, broccoli, mushroom and spinach and wrapped in low fat bacon - I’ve been having this with either just raw baby spinach or salad (depending on how lazy I’m feeling)
    Steak
    Sausages
    Boiled eggs
    I also have protein bars (carb killa brand) because they’re delicious
    Snack on cheese, pickles, dark choc, nuts

I’ve added you as a friend so you should be able to see my diary.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    (Also btw I have my calories set at maintenance and just eat under them so I can see my total ‘leftover’ so don’t think I’ve got a way different cal intake than you when you look at my diary)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Damn that's a lot of pro! I eat 30% and that's a lot!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Damn that's a lot of pro! I eat 30% and that's a lot!

It's roughly 156g at OP's intake. That's not crazy. Probably higher than OP needs, but not some outrageous number.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The protein is probably high because he is helping her gain muscle.

She's not likely gaining muscle with that calorie deficit. Protein can be helpful in reducing muscle lost, but based on her current weight, it's still higher than it needs to be.

Goal is weight loss BMR 1275cal per day weight 65kg goal is 58kg. Training 5 times per week HITT and weights. Macros advised by trainer - does this help?

Protein seems a bit high, but it's not dangerous to try this, if you like. I'd be curious where your trainer came up with these numbers. Most are not trained in dietary, and if not, then s/he's stepping outside of his/her scope. My trainer has never even attempted to give me dietary advice other than to tell me to not eat too little. When his coworkers give out dietary advice, it really irritates him, because they aren't trained and are going off general gym broscience. It can be a liability issue, if someone chose to make it so.

As for protein sources: lean meats, fish, shrimp, egg whites, diary (particularly lower fat like dry curd cottage cheese), and protein powders are my go to foods to hit my protein target.
  • holly_0211
    holly_0211 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 40/35/25, too! But im doing 40% carbs, 35% protein and 25% fat. I'll add you and you can look at some of the ways I get my protein in.
    Yogurt, fat free milk, nuts and meat are all great, but maybe you can try a protein powder! Walmart has a hemp protein powder if you don't want to spend a lot and cut out all of the sugar and fat that come with most generic protein powders
  • i_ride45
    i_ride45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Claire, how did this ratio work for you?
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Zombie post. It’s from 2 years ago.