Indulge day to stimulate metabolism?

Options
Hi guys! I've been losing weight very, very slowly. I am 5'4.5 and started at 135 in January and now I am at 130/131 give or take.... I was eating about 1650 calories a day and now I am shooting for 1550. I'm thinking of trying a high calorie day tonight to change things up a bit. For those who have done this, how do you guys approach this? I was thinking of just not watching my calories tonight and eating some Mexican food and a margarita. However, I don't want to go too overboard!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I still log those days.

I've been at maintenance weight for a long time, over a decade. I like having all the data. I eat way over my calories at least one day per week. Still log it. It's anywhere from 500-1500 calories over. It hasn't affected my weight in the two years I've done it. But I do stick fairly close on the other days.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi guys! I've been losing weight very, very slowly. I am 5'4.5 and started at 135 in January and now I am at 130/131 give or take.... I was eating about 1650 calories a day and now I am shooting for 1550. I'm thinking of trying a high calorie day tonight to change things up a bit. For those who have done this, how do you guys approach this? I was thinking of just not watching my calories tonight and eating some Mexican food and a margarita. However, I don't want to go too overboard!

Two consecutive days of low fat, very high carb and high protein is what is required for a refeed (generally at maintenance levels). This will allow for leptin (fat burning) levels to return to normal and ghrelin (hunger hormone) to reduce. Since you are pretty lean already, you might want to consider working in refeeds and/or diet breaks fairly often. Below is a good thread on it.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • celeste_2009
    celeste_2009 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Super helpful psulemon. I’m going to look into that and give it a go!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Also be prepared for a jump in weight which is actually water and additional bulk in your system. Don't let it panic you. It will come right back off.