Lessons Learned While Trying to Lose Weight.

Options
So We've had a couple of bad advice threads floating around, asking people to list the bad weight loss advice they've heard along the way. I thought it would be fun to share what we've actually tried through the years, and what we learned about it. It could be bad advice you took, or just a way of eating that didn't work for you.

Things I've tried in the past (in no particular order):

Slim Fast shakes: Were not satiating enough. Left me hungry, and I ended up consuming more calories then the shakes were saving me. Fail.

Garcenia Cambodia: Back when I thought Dr. Oz was something more then a quack with a TV show... It sure did "boost my metabolism" just like they say! In the sense that it made me even more HUNGRY. Stopped taking the crap, hunger levels returned to normal. Was it all placebo? Maybe. Was it totally pointless as made Natural Grocers some money? You Bet!

ACV weight loss "booster": At the suggestion of some coworkers I tried this drink you make with ACV to drink in the morning to "detox" and "boost" your weight loss. While it was a tastey apple cider like beverage, the only thing it boosted was sales of ACV at the grocery store. I drank the KoolAide- did not get results.

Low Carb- Turns out, I need some carby things or I just feel off. I did find out however, that I can happily live without as much pasta and bread as I originally thought.

"Clean" Eating (AKA no processed refined carby things. Whole foods ok.): Added some healthy meals to my repitoir. Found out just because it's touted as "whole and healthy" does not mean it's low calorie! (Look up Whole30 ranch dip sometime. YIKES!) Cthulu won't get me if I eat preservatives & aspartame.

Now for the less rediculous techniques:

1200 calories a day: Works for about 5-6 days and then I need to refeed. -3 days if I am working out hard. I found it's important to fuel my body. Now I use a weekly budget. Some days are over, some days under weekly average though puts me at a deficit. Much more sustainable. I found slow and steady wins the race. And doing too much all at once results in burn out and failure.

Gluten free: Thought I could have a gluten intolerance due to a month solid of heartburn and bloating. Turns out I have an overeating intolerance. Gluten is fine. Symptoms reduced when I quit overeating, lol.

Intermittant Fasting: I swore by this for a few months. I learned that I can go a suprisingly long time (for me) without eating. I learned that being a little hungry isn't going to kill me, and that even when my blood sugar feels rock bottom, it isnt. (I checked). I also missed breakfast foods. I still follow a loose 14/10 schedule. Since I get hungry late morning.

Intuitive eating: I have succesfully lost and maintained paying attention to my hunger and fullness ques. But calorie counting is key for learning portions, and for staying accountable to myself.

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Options
    Oh this is fun.

So I will say that until I was around 30-35, I thought a "diet" was something you did when you put on a few pounds, and didn't realize that if I went back to the way I ate pre-diet, I'd get back to that weight, too. Oops.

My early and late 20s included Slimfast, The Cabbage Soup Diet, a diet that was just frozen meals and shakes, and a few others like that. And absolutely NO exercise.

I was pretty lucky with my metabolism because this process pretty much worked at keeping me within a decent weight range...but really I was either on or off of a diet at any given point in time!

Since then, age, pregnancy/post-partum etc. have set in and now I have to play the numbers game and count calories and stick with satiating foods to be happy with my weight. It's all about the numbers. I also fell in love with exercise (running in particular) which gives me a little more leeway.

I don't think I will ever eat a bowl of cabbage soup again!
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I've dabbled in:
    Slim fast- yeah, kept me satiated and worked for me, but not sustainable (funds and dietary requirements)
    Slimming world - red days and green anyone?!
    Weight watchers - I was on and off this for years... and that's the problem:
    What these have taught me is how to play (And pay) their system. Not how or what to eat that which is healthy and yummy. Now I happily munch on a biscuit regardless of "points". Life doesn't end if I forget which day it is. I can eat real food. Just CICO. The end as far as I'm concerned.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness I tried them all...

Weight Watchers
    the US Ski team Diet
    Dr. Bernstein
    Dr. Atkins
    Fasting
    a Lap Band
    the Gym
    etc.

Finally I just did what worked for me and have been maintaining for about a year now. I spent nearly 50 years trying to do what others told me worked. I finally learned that everyone is different and what works for me might not work for them and vice versa.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    My biggie was low carb, and I’m the type that “if a little is good, a lot is always better” so I went full on Keto. Bought the urine strips and everything.
    I lost some weight, prob all water, very quickly, and thought I had found the key to weight loss.
    Not to put down Keto, (or low carb) because I know it helps and works well for some, but I had no exit strategy or anything so I failed miserably when I couldn’t sustain it.
    The biggest lesson I learned after landing here is patience. Staying within my calorie allotment works, but it works over time. Once I trusted the process and kept my eye on the big picture, I actually did find the key to weight loss.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Well I'm doing 16:8 IF now and actually like it. I'm losing weight again easily staying within my calories.

WW- felt deprived on the new system and found out how ridiculous the system is through double tracking points vs calories. Old system was great and lost most of my weight on it

Exchanges/ low fat- actually worked but lost interest and left it for WW.

HCLF vegan- gained weight

Accupressure diet- hated my existence within a few days.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Log it. All of it.
  • k2mexox
    k2mexox Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    In college I tried the HCG diet where you put the drops underneath your tongues and eat only 500 calories of very restricted food. 🙄 clearly I knew nothing of actual nutrition and what my body needed. I lost weight fast but didn’t last long obviously.

I’ve also tried MFP in the past (before HCG) but I still didn’t understand portion sizes, and I wasn’t consistent so I didn’t last long.

Now about 5 Years later on MFP I’ve lost 70 pounds, I understand and know what body needs and my weight loss journey is SUSTAINABLE. I still occasionally eat chicken nuggets, French fries, pizza, lots of wine. But I also eat lots of lean means and veggies MOST of the time.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Diets I've tried:

Military (Just plain ridiculous, lasted about 4 days)

Adkins (I love carbs way too much. Also, giving up carbs left me extremely irritable - like murdering random strangers irritable)

South Beach (actually worked while I bought the products)

Herbalife (Because a friend gave me all her free samples after failing to sell that crap - worst tasting shakes ever!!!!)

HGC (I personally think this one should be outright banned)

Paleo (See Adkins.. )

Raw Food (that lasted about 1 day)

Grapefruit (Lasted 2 days, I don't like grapefruit)

Water (at least I didn't waste money on it)

ACV (great for pulled pork, does nothing for weight loss. And yes, did that whole ACV + cayenne pepper drink crap. YUK!!!)

Green Coffee pills

Upside Down (you eat food upside down, 🙄)

"Insert woo" Detox (tried them all)

"Clean Eating" (There's only so much grilled chicken breast, brown rice and steamed veggies with raw unsalted nuts as snacks I can have before turning into a full blown rage monster, and I gained weight on this one. Just because it's "clean" or "healthy" doesn't mean that it is low in calories)

Breathing diet (at least that one was free. No surprise that I didn't lose any weight based on how I was breathing)

No-White food diet (I don't even know why???? Seriously, any weight loss program that would ban cauliflower yet allow chocolate is beyond me)

There are more, I just can't remember them all.

What worked for me: figuring out that I don't have to eat food I hate, or give up food I love, so long as I eat mostly healthy with some snacks in modern while being in a calorie deficit. And realizing how important a food scale really is!
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    OKay last necro bump I swear! But this one is kind of fun, and may be useful to new people considering what WOE(Way of Eating) they want to use to lose weight.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Many years ago I tried Slim Fast (gross)

I tried a few different "pills" from various companies (expensive with no noticeable difference)

I lost a fair bit of weight when I finally cracked down on my eating and started measuring all my food and then tracking macros. After that decided to focus on fitness, went up a few pounds, but then started to slowly trend back down. Then, big injury, and the better part of 2 years of "yuck."

I've since settled on my own variation of OMAD. I took a good look at my lifestyle, natural eating habits, what I could and couldn't live with, what would work no matter where I was or what I was doing, and this proved to be a very sustainable thing for me. It's not a "true" fast, because that doesn't work for me. I enjoy my morning coffee with flavored creamer, one larger meal each day, and if I'm hungry, a small (~200 kcal - depending on my workouts that day) "meal/snack."

I still have to count calories and measure my food if I'm going to lose at a noticeable rate, but even without that, I will have a downward trend, albeit slower. For reference, I'm F, 40, 5'7", CW 149, GW ~130.

It's not the fastest way to lose weight, but it's completely sustainable, I don't feel like I'm depriving myself, and it's something I can live with, and my weight trend has stayed in the proper direction since making this change (been at it for close to 6 months now I think). It works no matter the time of year, race weekends, work weeks, gatherings with friends....