How exactly do cheat days work?

Options
So e.g. if I eat a crapload of junk food on a cheat day do I need to make up for it throughout the rest of the week? If I have a cheat day aren't I going to cancel out like 5-6 days of exercise and dieting just like that? Can somebody explain if there's any benefits apart the morale ones?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    unless its a carb re-feed then its generally just for adherence.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think you're asking the right questions. Your overall calorie intake over time determines your weightloss, so how you choose to eat, can only make it easier or harder to stick to an appropriate amount of calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Don't know ... I don't do "cheat days" when I'm actively on a mission to lose weight.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    First, I despise the term 'cheat day'. If it's something you've planned into your diet, it's not cheating.

Now, potential benefits:
    - It can give you a psychological break, and allow you to eat some foods you're otherwise not because they don't fit your calories.
    - Easier if you have a social event
    - Eating at maintenance in the form of a structured refeed (quite different to eating a crapload of junk food, but you can potentially fit in some things you wouldn't normally, maybe) for two to three days has some physiological benefit in terms of bringing hormones that get out of whack with prolonged deficit back in line to some extent. There's a whole thread about those and diet breaks here (you only really need to read the first post and watch the video): https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks#latest

Potential drawbacks:
    - Yes, you can very easily undo an entire week's progress, and then some, especially if you're eating whatever and however much you want over an entire day
    - Some people find it hard to go back to their calorie deficit

If you want to have a 'day/meal off' once a week, that's fine, just plan for it. Either save up some calories during the week towards it, eat at maintenance that day and accept a slightly lower weekly weight loss, or a combination of the two if you really want to eat above maintenance. So long as you are at an overall deficit and your weight is trending down, you're good.

another con is that people tend to freak out when they weigh themselves after a cheat day... and then start a 'i gained 5lbs after my cheat day, whhhhhhhhhhhhhy' thread.

Oh yes! Meant to include that (it's almost bedtime and I'm sleepy). OP, even just eating at maintenance for a day, particularly if the foods are higher carb and/or higher sodium can cause a significant jump on the scale. It's just water weight and extra food in your system, and will be gone in a few days.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Are you going to track everything you eat on that 'cheat day'? hate that term btw. Many people find that one day of over eating will undo all their weeks calorie deficit.
  • leobrah
    leobrah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Are you going to track everything you eat on that 'cheat day'? hate that term btw. Many people find that one day of over eating will undo all their weeks calorie deficit.

I'm not even planning it yet. Just considering maybe having one sometime over the next month. I've just started dieting and exercising two weeks ago so I am still feeling fine eating the healthy stuff. I don't particularly have bad cravings for pizza or booze.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    leobrah wrote: »

I'm not even planning it yet. Just considering maybe having one sometime over the next month. I've just started dieting and exercising two weeks ago so I am still feeling fine eating the healthy stuff. I don't particularly have bad cravings for pizza or booze.

I do my best to stay out in front of my cravings instead of letting them get bad. I am actually kind of sick of pizza because I was eating it on Friday for about 7 weeks straight. I eat all of my normal craving foods in planned situations on a regular basis. I can fit some in a normal day and some I eat for Sunday lunch because I bank calories all week.

There are also some foods I am satisfied with if I just get enough to have the flavor. When I do want something sweet, which is rare, I can be perfectly satisfied eating a bite or two. That might be a hardship for someone who loves sweets and would feel deprived with so little though.

Keeping yourself happy and satisfied is very important if you want a long term sustainable plan. There is no right or wrong way to get there if you can mostly stay within your weekly calories.
  • mlsh69
    mlsh69 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain excess weight because of only one day of excessive eating. Its the cumulative that counts. If u want to overindulge one day, go ahead. Just get back to tracking the next day. Also a little extra activity won't hurt. This is how I have lost and maintained 50 pounds off.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I don't plan a day. more a meal. Because at 1300 calories (which I have since upped as I need to slow down weigh loss) there wasn't much room to "fit in" a fun dinner out. So one day every 6-8 weeks I may eat a few hundred calories over to get a "normal" meal out (as in, not just getting the stinking salad which I hate) OR to fit in a regular size piece of cake at 500 calories. Or two have two fancy drinks. They key was not letting it become ALL of that on the same day and to log as best I can (and as honestly).

Beside that very occasional meal, I fit things in. skip snacks on the weekend to get a beer. Or a slightly bigger dessert. Or have a light lunch and no snacks to have a larger dinner.

Others will "keep" save some calories daily (50-100) for 5-6 days to then have an extra 250-500 calories on the weekeend. But at 1300 calories i couldn't do that without starving.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Cheat days seem to be mainly common among restrictive dieters. People who deprive themselves of certain foods (or food groups) or excessively restrict calories. They have cheat days to keep their sanity during their torturous weight loss journey. And cheat days are often regretted because they're more like a binge than anything else, resulting in stomach pain, bloating and way too many calories.

You'll find that many people around here abide by the idea that no food is off limits. Simply fit it into your calorie goal. Want a slice of cake? Maybe spend a little extra time at the gym to earn the calories or have a smaller lunch or skip breakfast the next day. Plan ahead and make your indulgences fit into your goal.

Personally, I count any day where I eat at or below my TDEE as a success. Maintenance days are fine, if you want to enjoy more calories at a restaurant or for a special occasion.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    leobrah wrote: »
    So e.g. if I eat a crapload of junk food on a cheat day do I need to make up for it throughout the rest of the week? If I have a cheat day aren't I going to cancel out like 5-6 days of exercise and dieting just like that? Can somebody explain if there's any benefits apart the morale ones?

Good job pointing out the pitfalls of cheat days! This is why I don't do them myself.

When I want to eat more, I exercise more.

Some people bank calories for the weekends.
  • mlsh69
    mlsh69 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Cheat meal is another option
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I'm probably just repeating everyone else here, but I'm of the mind that the best approach is to learn moderation. Losing weight and/or getting healthy does not have to be an all or nothing type thing. You can still eat the things that you love. Everything in moderation. Don't label foods as good or bad. They are all just food, and the combination of those things is what is unhealthy or healthy, not any one particular thing.