So, I have this friend...

Options
The classic story, eh? Anyway, it's actually my male boss. I just found out from a co-worker that he is doing the HCG drops/500 calorie diet per day. He is overweight, admittedly, but he was doing well with food control and exercise before he hurt his knee a few months ago. He is in his 40s and probably in the upper 200s in terms of weight. His diet is pretty terrible. I see few vegetables and a lot of bread, and diet sodas constantly. Very little water. I am concerned about his health if he continues on this diet, as I also heard he's dropped 10 pounds in about a week. Should I say something to him? If so, what do I even say? I would feel awful if he ended up in the hospital and I didn't say anything to him.

Replies

• saadler
    saadler Posts: 116
    Options
    I feel like people who choose to do things like that without thoroughly researching it are going to be the types of people who will probably dismiss your warnings as jealousy or ignorance or something else when the opposite is really true. And since it's your boss, you might want to keep the peace.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Be careful discussing health issues with coworkers. My advice is: just dont do it, not your business.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Guess I should add that him and I are pretty casual with each other. It wouldn't be the first time we've discussed more personal issues.
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    wow he's eating a lot of bread and diet soda on HCG??? I've done HCG before and I think its a good way to learn to start eating healthier and portion control, however, if what you said is true than he's not even doing it correctly.

Some people abuse HCG by still eating bad and yeah you lose weight but since he's not doing it correctly, once he's off, all i can say is that his weight will go back to what it use to be and some more in no time!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. It' his choice to loose weight that way and not really any of your buisness.
  • PamelaRose88
    Options
    Yikes!! Thats a tough situation! Where did he get the HCG stuff from ? A doctor? or over the counter?(I havent heard much about that stuff)

If he got it from a doctor I would imagine he'd think its ok to do that! If not , he's probably feeling pretty desperate to lose the weight! Maybe tell him about what you're doing and about this site! Let him know there's people of all ages and sizes on here and its a great motivator! But after that, unless HE brings it up and talks to you about it, I'd lay off a bit. You don't want your boss to be annoyed with you!

Good luck!
  • cydonian
    Options
    wow he's eating a lot of bread and diet soda on HCG??? I've done HCG before and I think its a good way to learn to start eating healthier and portion control, however, if what you said is true than he's not even doing it correctly.

Some people abuse HCG by still eating bad and yeah you lose weight but since he's not doing it correctly, once he's off, all i can say is that his weight will go back to what it use to be and some more in no time!

I'm not sure exactly what he's eating to be honest, because every time I go in, it's been a soda on his desk. If he's been doing it for a week, I haven't really seen him eating at all. That's my concern. He's a large male intaking less than I intake on a daily basis.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't say a thing unless he asks for your opinion. I have to bite my tongue ALOT when I see friends doing the old starvation diet thing but if they don't ask, I don't say a word.
  • SarahFrankel
    SarahFrankel Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that was doing this exact same diet. I wanted to be sensitive because I know how much it hurts to want to lose weight and feeling like nothing else is really working, so you go to extremes. But I managed to find a way to tell her I was concerned about the low calories and the artificial hormone but admitted I'm no expert and didn't know much about the diet other than that. I don't know if it was me or the unrealistic diet itself, but she doesn't seem to be doing it anymore. Hopefully she finds a healthier alternative and that your co-worker does too!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    unsolicited advice is not cool
  • Brandirina
    Brandirina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree with saadler. He's also probably not going to listen because he's seeing fast results on the scale.
  • cydonian
    Options
    Yikes!! Thats a tough situation! Where did he get the HCG stuff from ? A doctor? or over the counter?(I havent heard much about that stuff)

Neighbor. Another concern. He hasn't told his physician and he's got blood pressure/cholesterol issues anyway.
  • cydonian
    Options
    I heard him raving about it to co-workers... see, I didn't explain myself well enough previously, lol! I think he's gonna end up bringing it up to me at some point.
  • DancezChick
    Options
    He may take it personal being that he is your boss or he may be greatful for you saying something :huh: ....But in the end its your call... IF you talk to him offer help... OR I would send him an annonymous email maybe? :glasses: It just makes it harder to tell him since hes like your BOSS :noway:
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say anything either unless he mentions it or opens the topic up for discussion and ONLY if we were on extremely casual terms and even then, I would probably bite my tongue. Workplace can be tricky for stuff like that.
  • aling01
    Options
    Well with HCG, depending on how many drops he takes, it releases about 2500-3000 calories into your system which is why you only eat 500 calories. When i was on it, if I were to calculate my caloric intake, it was usually between 7-800 calories.

The deal is for breakfast you drink tea or coffee and water.

lunch and dinner you eat 3.5oz meat and as much veggies as you want with 2 servings of fruit and grissini sticks if you want.

You dont have to eat all that in one sitting.

I've always broken it down so that I eat every 2-3hrs as I'm use to that since before HCG, I did do the regular eat clean and workout 6days/wk.

HCG if done correctly can really help lower your blood pressure and cholesterol. My only concern with this is if he's not doing it correctly than he's wasting his money and time cause he will feel like major **** later when he gains all his weight back and some more.

I'm not sure exactly what he's eating to be honest, because every time I go in, it's been a soda on his desk. If he's been doing it for a week, I haven't really seen him eating at all. That's my concern. He's a large male intaking less than I intake on a daily basis.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The thing is that all of us would try anything before we found MFP. We were all desperate, which is exactly how your boss sounds... but I agree with many here, talking to him may make him resentful because he IS losing weight and he KNOWS what he's doing. He will get defensive. He may even get angry. He will tell you that he is fine and as long as he is losing he will eat the way he wants to.

Remember how you felt before you realized that a healthy diet and exercise are really the only right way to do this?

You can try, but don't be upset if he dismisses your conversation and continues on his path of self destruction.
  • aling01
    Options
    if he does, maybe you should at least point him to where he can learn more about it?

I went to www.hcgweightloss.com/forum/ for learning and support.
    I heard him raving about it to co-workers... see, I didn't explain myself well enough previously, lol! I think he's gonna end up bringing it up to me at some point.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Neighbor. Another concern. He hasn't told his physician and he's got blood pressure/cholesterol issues anyway.

In my opinion, you can tell him and be as nice as you can about it. I think if you come from a point of concern without sounding judgemental, it should be received kindly. I agree that it is none of your bizness what he does, but if it was my boss, I would feel terrible if something happened to him and I did not say anything. Just look at it as if you saw him taking cyanide pills or about to drive off a cliff...Yes, he may live but should you at least not tell him it may be hazardous to his health for doing it. Not to sound perverted, but a man will always listen to a pretty girl talk so make sure to use ya feminine wiles. IJS.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he's doing it all wrong. If he is gonna do it he should do it under a doctors supervision not some neighbor who gives him the stuff. Over the counter stuff isn't reliable and getting something from your neighbor probably isn't safe either. If he's eating only 500 calories a day of course he'll lose weight and he may think it's working. IMO I think HCG is a bad way to lose weight. you lose muscle mass along with the fat.Anyway The decision is yours to say something or not.