Bariatric surgery

Options
janedoesntcare
janedoesntcare Posts: 5 Member
Bariatric surgery patients found this app to be useful? Advice on Macros for post op or pre-op

Replies

• Jenneke0269
    Jenneke0269 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    7 weeks post-op VSG here.
    Listen to your nutritionist. They'll have a dietary plan they want you to follow. Every plan is different, but there's a few good tips that are universal.
    1. You will have a period of liquid only foods pre-surgery, and yes, it will suck, just tough it out and get through it.
    2. The post-op food stages are: liquid, pureed, soft, regular. The first three stages usually last 2-3 weeks each.
    3. As for macros, it goes back to what your nutritionist says. In general though, avoid in this order: sugary foods, carbonated/caffeinated drinks, pastas/breads/other grains.

Feel free to friend me if you want more help and advice!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I had surgery in February of 2015. I used MFP prior to and after surgery. It isn't perfect but it works for me. Like Jenneke said, follow the guidelines your nutritionist gave you. They want you to be successful and should be flexible enough to make changes if needed. I was a slow loser, it took me 16 months to lose 103 pounds. If didn't feel like 16 months at the time. I've been maintaining with the help of the nutritionist and exercise.

As you're losing make changes to your food choices that you can continue to use when you get to maintenance. Simple changes like using egg whites rather than eggs, turkey bacon versus pork bacon etc.

Wishing you success!
  • stockmaster22
    stockmaster22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest nobody have any type of weight loss surgery. I know from personal experience and just paid 5 thousand to have it removed
  • Dubuque
    Dubuque Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    loveshoe wrote: »
    I had surgery in February of 2015. I used MFP prior to and after surgery. It isn't perfect but it works for me....
    Do you still log your food in MFP. I am wondering what life will be like 2+ years past surgery. It would be nice to know some diligent food loggers on MFP who had VSG.