Help!!! Low carb KETO DIET 7 days and still have the runs???

Options
lbzmse
lbzmse Posts: 19 Member
Any help with this or information. Please help. Also at a Mexican restaurant any ideas on what to order!!! Thanks everyone in advance 😬😬😬πŸ’ͺπŸΌπŸ‘‹πŸ˜Ž

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing keto? We need an update.
  • lbzmse
    Options
    Diabetic. Need to bring my blood sugar down.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are getting too much fat? How’s your protein intake?
  • ladyethorne1
    ladyethorne1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Diabetic and had to make the switch a couple of weeks ago. I'm on day 13 of going fully keto, and I definitely noticed the loose BM's and the having to go more often (including some gut cramp) and did a little research. From what I gleaned this is a normal part of the body shifting metabolic gears. The runs only stopped for me a couple of days ago, but experts say it can go on for a few weeks for some, so give it another week and you'll likely see it come to a halt.
  • lbzmse
    Options
    Thanks so much. I was wondering 😳😳😳
  • lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I just made it to day 15 and things have evened out. I did add in psyllium husk which I think helped, uhm bulk it up. It was mostly the frequency. I was just pooping ALOT.
    Glad to know it’s normal
  • jsb0726
    jsb0726 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    More fiber will help but if I’m not mistaken it’s caused by the change in gut bacteria from the dietary change. Try increasing your dietary fiber and taking a probiotic. Mine only lasted a few days with that.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I find this interesting because for me, keto with IF makes me go WAY less often.
  • Erinloveable
    Erinloveable Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husks giveth and psyllium husks take eth away.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Too much fat, especially MCTs or coconut oil, can cause the runs.

A more common cause is low electrolytes and dehydration. Most new ketoers will get low in sodium unless they make an effort to replace lost electrolytes with 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day. (2300 mg sodium= 1 tsp salt.) try eating half a tsp of salt a couple times a day, eat salty boullion frequently, take salt tablets, drinks pickle juice or make your own salty keto-ade from Mio.

Increasing sodium, and getting enough water, could help within a couple of days. If sodium is not the problem, you'll just excrete the extra sodium.

ETA I'm a celiac who doesn't eat out much so I can't help with the restaurant question. Plus I'm in Canada so good Mexican food is not very common. ;)
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you have a Whole Foods or Sprouts nearby, look for "shirataki noodles", they have a lot of fiber and zero net carbs, so it's good for keto and will help your poops. The noodles will probably be in the fridge near the tofu and eggs. Check the package to make sure you're not getting tofu noddles. You want ingredients of water, Konjac Flour, and one more thing for a preservative, I forget what it's called.
  • Strawberrygrl
    Strawberrygrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend had the same issue. Psyllium husk powder did the trick for him. You can make pizza and use the psyllium in the dough. We make this once a week.