carb cycling/calorie zig-zagging

Options
has anyone here ever tried carb cycling or calorie zig zagging? Ive been at the same weight for about a month now and I think my body needs a reality check. So I am going to try incorporating both of these into my diet. If you have done one or the other, or both, did it work well for you? and would you recommend it? thanks! :)

Replies

• djh1980
    djh1980 Posts: 18
    Options
    ive never heard of that, can you explain it to me?
  • MsCandyLynn
    Options
    never heard of either what is it?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I calorie cycle with my macronutrients at 40% protein, 30% fat, and 30% carbs. I also started strength training 2-3 times a week, this really helped me when i stalled out.

Calorie cycling is when you have a calorie avg mine is 1416, then I cycle that so it looks like this Mon-1416 tue-1235 wed-1700 thur-1315 fri-1416, sat-1558 and sun-1416. It avg out to be 1416 calories a day but the way I eat those calories keeps my body guessing and keeps the burners on.
  • KnightsGal76
    KnightsGal76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I started calorie zig-zagging this week, and have lost 5 lbs already! It seems to be working for me right now. give me a couple more weeks and I will let you know
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    http://www.rippednaturally.com/zig-zag-diet.html

I love zig zagging my calories, I don't always mean to do it though :P but it works out in the end and I'm happier and weigh less for it.
  • amyblittle
    Options
    Thanks for asking about zig-zagging because I just read up on and it and seems like a good idea. I think I am going to start looking at my calories this way.
    Here is a site I found that is pretty helpful.

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/64/zig-zag-calculator-for-fat-loss-andor-muscle-gain
  • MsCandyLynn
    Options
    i think i have been doing this on a occaion wihtout realizing it..hahahah
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    the carb cycling looks pretty awesome too. I just got a mac so I don't know how to copy and paste a link but i found the info on bodybuilding.com. as soon as i can figure out how to do it, ill post the link. i think putting the two together could work pretty awesome!
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I calorie cycle with my macronutrients at 40% protein, 30% fat, and 30% carbs. I also started strength training 2-3 times a week, this really helped me when i stalled out.

Calorie cycling is when you have a calorie avg mine is 1416, then I cycle that so it looks like this Mon-1416 tue-1235 wed-1700 thur-1315 fri-1416, sat-1558 and sun-1416. It avg out to be 1416 calories a day but the way I eat those calories keeps my body guessing and keeps the burners on.

I've heard that strength training helps, but my problem is that I already do that :(
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of carb cycling but I'm assuming it's similar to calorie zig-zagging. I'd love to see the article on it if you can figure out how to copy the link. Thanks for sharing!
  • froggy15
    froggy15 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I keep wanted to try zig-zagging my calories, just haven't yet...guess I should start!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I've been carb cycling since December & it's going GREAT. I eat low carb/moderate fat/high protein 6 days a week then high carb/low fat/moderate protein 1 day a week most of the time. When I go on vacation I take complete breaks from the menu planning/tracking & eat what I want in whatever quantity I want. Occasionally when I'm "on-plan" I'll use my carb-up day as a "free day" & eat what I want, thought I usually still log it just to remain accountable.

I also strength train heavily 5-6 days a week & have seen significant improvements in my body shape...I couldn't be more pleased. I am currently training for a 10k in 2 weeks, but even when I'm not training I run 2-3 times a week because I enjoy it.

I eat foods I love & I feel healthy & strong. The scale has become less important because I feel so great. When I finally get to a point where I no longer feel the need to actively try losing weight, I expect to continue eating this way through the week & will take weekends "off." Carb cycling is a very effective method of weight loss.