Keto

Options
I’ve been doing Keto now for 6-7 weeks and have only lost about 8 pounds. I miss all the fruits and veggies. I eat a lot of eggs, bacon, and avocado. I also have a cup of bulletproof coffee every morning Are there any great tips out there??? This life style may not be sustainable much longer for me.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    4-6 lbs of that 8 lb loss is going to be water, so don't freak when you go off keto and gain that back - it's not gaining body fat, it's just water fluctuations.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    First of all, a loss, is a loss, is a loss, is a loss. Keto is not magic. Keto is great at helping with calorie restriction for a lot of people, but it also isn't the end all be all of weight loss. If you are only doing it for weight loss, maybe consider switching to low carb which could be up to 150 grams of carbs per day.

Also, Bulletproof Coffee is such a waste of calories. Ditch the BP and add back some of the other stuff that you miss. Once fat adapted, many people can eat up to 50-75 grams of carbs per day and still stay in Ketosis.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Are you just doing keto to lose weight? Do you have medical conditions that make this type of lifestyle necessary? If your goal is weight loss and you have no underlying medical conditions that require you to keep close track of carbohydrate intake, then keto might not be the right fit for you.

I am diabetic and even I don't stick with keto values. Right now I eat between 50-100 g of carbs a day, which leaves room for lots of veggies and even things like sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. I do tend to stay away from fruits high in sugar because they impact my blood sugar so terribly (grapes are the worst for me). I do love to eat berries, which are much lower in sugar and fit right into my nutrition goals.

You need to choose something sustainable. Keto/low-carb can get redundant unless you start experimenting with new recipes and foods. I've found ways to make cauliflower rice that are really delicious and satisfy me--same with zucchini "noodles". Experiment a little!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I would just ditch the keto, but - careful - not with an expectation of losing faster (you lose weight in accordance with your calorie deficit); what's your height and weight anyway? And expect some the water weight to return as you come off keto.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    kam3190 wrote: »
    8 lbs in 6 weeks is amazing. That's over a lb a week. And if you don't like keto stop doing keto.

QFT. Unless you have over 75 lbs to lose, you shouldn't expect to lose faster than that.
  • toughmuther
    toughmuther Posts: 27 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I'm losing about 1lb a week on keto, but honestly have kept at it for the changes I've felt in energy levels and mood swings. The things I missed were chips (just anything crunchy) and bread. I've found some low carb tortillas and crisp them up on the oven w/olive oil and salt and also munch on Quest protein tortilla chips if I need a hit. Pinterest and Insta have soooo many wonderful egg loaf (made into french toast), fat head dough recipes. It's insane how much wonderful, tasty food you can eat on keto. I don't drink coffee but have made high fat hot cocoa for the morning using real coconut milk, heavy whipping cream, cacao powder and mct oil-outright delish and 1 sugar. Ok I'm rambling lol...good luck in finding what works for you, so many options to reach your goals.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    You have to find a way of eating that is sustainable for you, whatever that may be. I’m six weeks into my keto journey, so there’s still a lot for me to learn, but I can tell you there’s a wide latitude when it comes to how you can approach it. For example, I don’t keep to the less than 20 grams of carbs a day; I don’t worry about my carb count, as long as they come from vegetables. I occasionally have berries, but virtually ALL my carbohydrate intake is vegetables- my daily diet includes a wide variety of them, both fresh and cooked. My net carbs vary anywhere from low 20s to upper 40s, depending on the day. The biggest thing for me has been cutting out starches, grains and sugars; I’ve tried before, and failed, until pairing it with increased dietary fat.

tl;dr- don’t be afraid of veggies, especially green, leafy ones, or almost anything that grows above ground- those carbs aren’t bad for you. Focus on good fats to keep you satisfied.
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    And remember- just the fact that you are eating Keto does not guarantee weight loss unless you are burning more calories than you are taking in. With some people that happens automatically because of the appetite suppressant results of Ketosis. For me, I LOVE cheese and macadamias and heavy cream. I have to watch my portions very carefully to stay in my 1100-1200 range. Even with Keto, your food scale is still your ally, it’s just easier. 😊
  • CNG24
    CNG24 Posts: 432 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I'd try going without the coffee for a few days! That helped me bust through a plateau. Also. Are you staying within your macros?

A pound a week is awesome, by the way!! Dont give up, stay consistent! Maybe you haven't had the whoosh effect yet!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    First of all, a loss, is a loss, is a loss, is a loss. Keto is not magic. Keto is great at helping with calorie restriction for a lot of people, but it also isn't the end all be all of weight loss. If you are only doing it for weight loss, maybe consider switching to low carb which could be up to 150 grams of carbs per day.

Also, Bulletproof Coffee is such a waste of calories. Ditch the BP and add back some of the other stuff that you miss. Once fat adapted, many people can eat up to 50-75 grams of carbs per day and still stay in Ketosis.

I agree with all of that. You are having great losses. If you think you should be losing faster due to a planned large calorie deficit, I would weigh all your foods and fats. You are probably eating more than you thought - BPC can be a large calorie suck too. Drink your coffee black or with just a splash of cream or other fats, and you'll save a couple hundred calories.

If you want to add back veggies and some fruit, go for it unless you have a medical need for very low carb like treating insulin resistance or a neurological problem. Keto is not magic for weight loss. Some of us love it for weight management because it curbs our appetite and cravings, but it isn't for everyone.

Switching to low carb (under 109-150g of carbs a day) will allow a LOT of veggies and fruits in your diet. Many find adding in grains and added sugars will bump carbs up to moderate or high levels.

Good luck.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing Keto now for 6-7 weeks and have only lost about 8 pounds. I miss all the fruits and veggies. I eat a lot of eggs, bacon, and avocado. I also have a cup of bulletproof coffee every morning Are there any great tips out there??? This life style may not be sustainable much longer for me.

Hi Laura!

I’ve been on keto now for awhile - are you counting calories? Are you in a deficit?
    Also - even though I’m on a keto diet - I eat more vegetables now then I ever did. I just make sure (for my purposes) not to go over 30 net carbs. That’s a ton of veggies.
    I get 5+ servings low glycemic vegetables a day and when I want to toss some low sugar berries in there I do and just make sure I add that into my net carbs. I actually eat meat less frequently on keto! Avocados are my bff. So you can still have the fruit and vegetables if you want - just in modest amounts and the low sugar type- if you want to remain keto.

My 2 cents. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

@NovusDies she meant giving up the very caloric bulletproof coffee might help start moving the scale in the right direction.

The recipe in the following link comes to 411 calories. If one was just a little heavy on the oil or butter, that's a pound a week.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/3-reasons-why-bulletproof-coffee-is-a-bad-idea#section1
  • squigglylot
    squigglylot Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First of all, the fact that you are losing is good. So don't get discouraged.

Are you hitting your daily macros? Remember that keto is macro-focused, not calorie-focused (yes, you have to have a calorie deficit, but properly calculated macros will include that).

I miss the full array of veggies and fruits too. But, I have found alternatives that I've learned to be satisfied with. Instead of bunch or strawberries and a banana, I have a few blackberries or raspberries -- limiting myself to an ounce. I eat more broccoli, spinach or romaine salads, instead of iceberg. I like the option of ranch or blue cheese dressing over some low fat something.

I started low-carb on June 1, 2018 and went to Keto toward the end of June/start of July. I've lost 40 lbs over that time (I have an ultimate goal of losing 135). I watch a lot of youtube videos to learn about how my body processes food so that I feel I'm educated.

I think the biggest thing I've learned so far is to be satisfied with a restrictive diet/lifestyle/choices. I may switch off Keto when I get to my ultimate goal (I don't know), but I know that when I do, I will have to continue the things I've learned from Keto .. namely, that any indulgences can no longer be a regular thing, and I am in control.
  • CNG24
    CNG24 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

@NovusDies she meant giving up the very caloric bulletproof coffee might help start moving the scale in the right direction.

The recipe in the following link comes to 411 calories. If one was just a little heavy on the oil or butter, that's a pound a week.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/3-reasons-why-bulletproof-coffee-is-a-bad-idea#section1

Yup!! ^^this! Thanks @kshama2001!