Self Sabotage..........

Options
It seems as though every time I take on a new challenge whether it be weight loss, a course of some kind or whatever..........I do really well for a little while and once people start complimenting me or I'm feeling great about my accomplishments I somehow sabotage my progress.........for example, I did not cheat on my new eating habits for 5 weeks, then, noticing how great I was feeling (not to mention the loss of 20 lbs), I just can't stop eating.......junk, good stuff, whatever.......

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?????????????

I'm afraid I will lose the will power and the progress that I have made this far........

:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Replies

• marc4
    marc4 Posts: 79
    Options
    It seems as though every time I take on a new challenge whether it be weight loss, a course of some kind or whatever..........I do really well for a little while and once people start complimenting me or I'm feeling great about my accomplishments I somehow sabotage my progress.........for example, I did not cheat on my new eating habits for 5 weeks, then, noticing how great I was feeling (not to mention the loss of 20 lbs), I just can't stop eating.......junk, good stuff, whatever.......

I'm afraid I will lose the will power and the progress that I have made this far........

• running4myhealth
    Options
    Write down all the reasons you want to lose weight and carry it around with you in your wallet. Post it on your desk at work. Remind yourself why you are doing this to start with.

I know this will sound bad but I have a picture of a morbidly obese person on my desk. That usually cures my fast food cravings with one glance.
  • skinnymel
    skinnymel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i do this too! i am hoping that MFP will help me overcome this problem. so far over the last 2 years, i have lost 5 pounds about 3 times, started feeling & looking better, and almost immediately put it back on!
    advice anyone?

145236.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options

I am the same way. I don't know what is wrong with my mind. If I do really well during the week, then by the weekend I do something to mess myself up. I've been trying to listen to the people on there that say tomorrow is a new day if you mess up. But just hang in there, maybe we can train our minds to be good to us instead of sabotaging us.
    Pam
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I do it too!! I did it this weekend. I was 150 on the nose, only 5lbs away from my first goal. I bought some lingerie and looked awesome! I felt so thin...So what did I do? Eat over 2100 cals on sat and sunday!
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hmmm . . . well not to make it obvious what my chosen vocation is, but if you feel that your self-sabotage is really a problem, you could try seeing a therapist about it. A CBT (cognitive-behavioral therapist) would probably be ideal, because they can help you track and pinpoint those thoughts/actions/events that lead to your falling off the wagon, and counter them. You might have to shop around a little for a therapist that's matched to you and your needs, but I think it's worth it in the end.

I'm sure you'll figure it out one way or another, though! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If I jump off the wagon, I have a really hard time getting back on. So I simply don't jump off (or at least I hang on with one arm! LOL!)

Start right NOW, go back to your good habits! Once you're on board with them, it's easier to stick to it.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I was EXACTLY the same way, as soon as I felt a little good it's like I gave in to my cravings and stopped was doing right. I have never gone this long without gaining everything back. It's insane..... and this is how I deal with it.

After I felt good the first time(this time around), the first time temptation came, normally I would just give in, but this time I had an entire internal dialogue with myself. I told myself that it was these little cheats that ended me back where I was and I reminded myself of mornings when I would get dressed and be practically in tears beacause I felt so terrible about how I looked in clothes, or nights I was going out with my friends and I had to put on spanks just to suck in my stomach and how depressed I would feel just getting ready. Then I told myself that yes, in fact, if I wanted a _____(fill in your weakness), I could walk over right now and have one, BUT, I am choosing not to because I love getting up in the morning and putting on all my clothes that feel great on. Knowing I could and that I chose not to was so empowering it kept me going, and every time I turn sometyhing down, I feel more and more empowered and want to continue that feeling!!!!

I've had to have this "conversation" at least every day for a month....and now it's getting easier, I put on a two piece swim suit for the first time in my life and felt great and nothing beats that GREAT feeling!!!!!!!

I have of course given in to temptation once in a while. We went to the mandarine for my mother in laws birthday and I gave myself permission to eat what i wanted. I wouldnt allow myself to feel guilty about it because i was CHOOSING to eat this and I know I could and it wasn't me on a downward spiral somewhere. I ate everything I could, felt gross, and loved it and the next day I was right back on track because there was no guilt associated with eating.

Good luck, it's a hard battle to win. I just wanted to share my experience. Sorry it's so long winded!
  • lenece
    lenece Posts: 389 Member
    Options

I too have done this and am going through this right now..I have gained 10 lbs back so I'm back up to 200lbs n was at 190lbs...I've been going through some stressful times..I go in the store n it seems like the junk food is calling to me, "We can make you feel better, take us home" lol I know crazy but I need to find my will power again..I can look in the mirror n tell I've put 10 pounds back on..I disgust myself.. I have to stop eating or I will be 300 lbs again...