Trouble getting into weight lifting... cardio bunny in training ):

Options
I need some advice on how I can kill my cardio bunny routine at the gym. I’m not sure if I just hate weights or if it’s also a little bit of embarrassment cause I have no idea what I’m doing. I’d really like to gain some muscle along with all the fat I’m losing. Any tips on how to get more into it? I have zero interest in it at the moment and when I try to use the machines at the gym I get bored within minutes and have no motivation to keep going :/

Replies

• bunnyaa
    bunnyaa Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try changing it up as much as possible so you don't get bored. If you have a friend who knows about weights they can show you the basics. Or at the gym you go to maybe you can ask for some pointers from someone who works there or sign up for a couple of personal training sessions. Once you get the basics down you can probably google schedules and routines so you have an outline or goal for daily workouts. I've heard it's recommended to do weights before cardio so you have energy to lift. Also free weights can be fun and they have a greater range of motion than machines and can be more diverse.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Try Orangetheory- that way you get your cardio fix with some weight training thrown in. Although the weights portion isn’t the same as a true progressive lifting plan, it’s a good start to see if you would like to start lifting.
  • powerplaymsu
    powerplaymsu Posts: 131 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Two thoughts: 1. I paid the gym owner for two or three sessions to work me out and get me going. He taught me proper technique and gave me a set work out to follow. From there I've watched form videos on bodybuilding.com and YouTube. 2. I met a partner that worked out at the same time I always was. He also taught me to keep track of reps and weights so I could track(challenge myself) where I've been and where I'm going. Now we've worked out together on and off for three years.

Good luck. I hope you find a way to enjoy it.

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with doing both. I train for half marathons and I lift. I just alternate -- one day is a run day, the other is a lift and barre day (barre doesn't really have much strength training, and it's not really true cardio, so I pair it with lifting for a good workout). And sometimes I throw in a spin or a swim day (which I figure gives cardio + resistance).

I see the running and straight cardio/swimming as something that *directly* helps me accomplish my goals, and the lifting as something that makes my body more efficient.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You could try circuit style training which gives you more of a cardio workout while strength training.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    What about something more bodyweight focused like pilates, more strength focused yoga classes, a boot camp class? Pole dance lessons? Lol. You don't have to lift weights or use weight machines necessarily.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Try lifting classes like Body Pump, DVDs, or YouTube videos. They're a good start. There's also a weight training app called Jefit.

Also recommend working with a trainer.
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to has a weight lifting circuit. Each machine tells you what to do and then you can choose the weight and how many reps. I really like it because if you do the whole circuit you work all your muscles, you know you are doing it right, it doesn't and take long. I don't get bored because I'm changing what I'm doing instead of just one thing for a long time.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you can afford a trainer, I'd go that route. I was so intimidated by heavy lifting, I put it off for years. I finally decided I needed proper training to make sure I didn't hurt myself learning the movements and found my coach who offered three hour long intro weightlifting classes for $100. I fell so in love with it that I ended up joining that gym for the long haul. Mine is a crossfit gym, but those beginning classes were just about lifting, so if you're not into crossfit you could easily take what you learn elsewhere. I've had friends who have done something similar at smaller local gyms, they found package deals for training sessions, learned movements and then took that knowledge to their (cheaper) gyms following programs like Stronglifts 5X5.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    You could try circuit style training which gives you more of a cardio workout while strength training.

I started with something similar around 6 years ago then moved onto barbells.

I personally really like Bret Contreras’ Strong Curves program.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Another vote for a trainer. But tell them you want to "lift like a man" - see "The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess" which was available in my library system so perhaps yours as well.

I've belonged to a few gyms that had small group prices for really cheap or free, and others that run specials on training. But even if you have to pay full price, it is well worth it to have someone help you with form and a routine.
  • hikinggal11
    hikinggal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and still lift 2-3 x a week. Just on my days I don't run, or on my long easy run days. I really don't like lifting but what got me interested was before after picts of women who lifted. Amazing motivation! Good luck.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I was the same until I started lifting the barbell. It made me feel tough. Lol

I found the machines and dumbells so boring. Learn properly and hopefully you will like it too. Weights are so good for the body. Best of luck.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you genuinely dislike it, then try something else. I usually try to listen to something entertaining (music doesn't do it) while I'm lifting, it helps quite a bit.
  • JoAnna4731
    JoAnna4731 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned home workouts. I started by using videos with dumbells and resistance bands at home with instructors who give very specific instructions on form and a full length mirror - I love Cathe Friedrich and Jessica Smith. Bought new dumbbells as I progressed. I loathe weight lifting and don’t see myself as a “lifter” but I really needed strength in order it work through some injuries.