Pancakes

Options
So I'm making pancakes for breakfast. Just normal flour, milk and eggs pancakes. I didn't weigh out the ingredients just because I never have before but now I don't know what to put them in under and how many calories. I make them the size of a proper frying pan and medium thickness x

Replies

• niamhdean97
    niamhdean97 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you smolmaus. I've just never had to weigh them before so I didn't think of it. Lesson learned anyway x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    my pancake recipe with 2 eggs is about 600 cals, minus an oil or toppings.
  • niamhdean97
    niamhdean97 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Is that per pancake or how many does that make? I use two eggs too
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Is that per pancake or how many does that make? I use two eggs too

that's for all of the mixture made with 2 eggs, flour and milk. cant remember how many it makes, pancake day was a while ago, sorry!!!
  • IrmaC94
    IrmaC94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You might want to try protein pancakes, there are tons of recipes online with far less calories than 600 per piece
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid I hated syrup and still kind of do as an adult (blasphemous I know) My mom used to use a cheese grater and grated a bunch of apple in the batter when she made pancakes then add extra cinnamon to make apple cinnamon pancakes, they were so good! The apple also lessened the calories since she would use it to replace a couple other calorie dense ingredients, can't remember what they were though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Normal...proper....medium....there is nothing in your description that provides a decent measure.

It’s the amount of fat/oil/butter you used (even brushed on the pan) that can be quite variable depending on how you made your pancake.

I suggest you make up a recipe with recipe builder making your best guess on quantities and divide by the number of servings.

My pancake batter is typically one egg, a cup flour, a cup milk, a tablespoon sugar and a tablespoon oil.
  • bustercrabby
    bustercrabby Posts: 66 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    IrmaC94 wrote: »
    You might want to try protein pancakes, there are tons of recipes online with far less calories than 600 per piece

Pancakes are worth EVERY calorie IMO.... especially with peanut butter & banana on. I just don't have them very often!

:D Dang right! That's exactly what I put on my 'cakes. Extra crunchy natural pb and a ripe banana!

That is until I started keto. :'(

But I make a mean almond/coconut flour pancake with home made maple syrup. I can't reveal how I make the syrup (erythritol, water, pure maple extract), because it's so good. And it's a no calorie syrup.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    So I'm making pancakes for breakfast. Just normal flour, milk and eggs pancakes. I didn't weigh out the ingredients just because I never have before but now I don't know what to put them in under and how many calories. I make them the size of a proper frying pan and medium thickness x

Sometimes you just have to do the best you can. If you measured the ingredients out then you can plug all of that into the recipe builder and get a decent estimate. If you eyeballed the ingredients then I'd still use the recipe builder and just use your best guess at how much of everything you used. It would likely be closer than using a generic entry in the database.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Normal...proper....medium....there is nothing in your description that provides a decent measure.

It’s the amount of fat/oil/butter you used (even brushed on the pan) that can be quite variable depending on how you made your pancake.

I suggest you make up a recipe with recipe builder making your best guess on quantities and divide by the number of servings.

My pancake batter is typically one egg, a cup flour, a cup milk, a tablespoon sugar and a tablespoon oil.

I completely agree with this ^^.

But if you just want a number that you can at least feel is a good faith estimate without trying to guess how much you used of the various ingredients, measure the diameter of your frying pan. Divide by 2. Call that number X.

One of your pancakes has (175/9) times X times X calories, or 19.4 times X-squared. Based on the USDA's entry for a six-inch pancake made from scratch and a little basic geometry.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options

What I do is weigh out each ingredient, write it down. Make the pancakes....then use recipe builder and for "servings" just use the number of pancakes made and log in all the ingredients and the amounts you used.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »

What I do is weigh out each ingredient, write it down. Make the pancakes....then use recipe builder and for "servings" just use the number of pancakes made and log in all the ingredients and the amounts you used.

That is a good way to do that. You can also use My Recipe Box here on MFP to do that easily! Just go to the Food, Recipe Builder. It will save your results and you can easily add it to your Food Diary whenever you use the same recipe. So simple once you try it.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »
    VUA21 wrote: »

That is a good way to do that. You can also use My Recipe Box here on MFP to do that easily! Just go to the Food, Recipe Builder. It will save your results and you can easily add it to your Food Diary whenever you use the same recipe. So simple once you try it.

That's what I do now. Took me a while to figure that one out (oops), but at least I was really, really accurate in my pancake logging for a few months. Now I'm just accurate.