Slow and steady (w/ pics... hopefully)

Options
A friend posted some pics on facebook from our high school days, and holy cow! It's really helped me realize how far I've come. It's been a loooong journey this past 8 years. Lots of bad habits have been broken and healthy ones formed. The process has been slow and frustrating at times, but I know that I am doing it the right way. I'm changing my life, not just my weight. Keeping the weight off is most important, I am very confident that once I reach my goal (however long it takes!) that's where I'll stay!

From a show I was in during high school, at my highest weight of around 214 lbs. This was taken in 2003 when I was 18. That dress was an 18, too, and I could barely fit in it!
thehollow.jpg

This pic is from a show I was in two years ago, at around 175 lbs. Size 12.
gettingsaramarried.jpg

And this a from a show I was in two weeks ago. 150 lbs. Size 8.
laundry.jpg

I would still like to lose another 15-20 lbs. My main goal now is to tone up. I'm starting to really like the athletic look. I'd ideally like to be a size 6, but most importantly I just want to feel comfortable in my skin and be able to have a healthy body.

Replies

• caretheaton
    caretheaton Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh, fine! I don't know how to do pictuers! Any pointers?
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    laundry.jpg but with the IMG in lower case (img)
    thehollow.jpggettingsaramarried.jpglaundry.jpg
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it from Photobucket, copy the link that starts with [IMG], and then when you paste it, change the beginning and the end IMGs to lower case. :)[/img]
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Try using the message board code from photobucket, then change IMG to img...
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    thehollow.jpg

gettingsaramarried.jpg

laundry.jpg
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    For your pics to work, use the same link but put IMG as img instead. :) I had this problem yesterday. And btw, GOOD JOB! :)
  • caretheaton
    Options
    Ah-ha! Thank you!
  • toxicat
    toxicat Posts: 79
    Options
    Very cool and inspiring to see! What did you change to help you lose weight?
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    WOW.... Congratulations! You are HOT... '-)
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! You look great.
  • Hyster1
    Hyster1 Posts: 75
    Options
    You look GREAT!! Slow and steady is the way to go!! Little changes add up to big changes.
  • adventuring
    Options
    Wow, way to go! You actually remind me a lot of an actress called Allison Scagliotti now.
  • caretheaton
    Options
    Very cool and inspiring to see! What did you change to help you lose weight?

Thanks! For me it was all about making one serious change and sticking to it for a couple of years before trying to incorporate something new. I learned that every time I made a significant change, I would lose about 20 lbs over the course of a year. But because I took the time to really let the change incorporate itself into my lifestyle, it would stay off. So I would be really content with a 20 lbs loss for a couple of years, then look in the mirror and decide I wanted to try and lose some more. Then I would add or change something to my lifestyle and lose about 20 lbs more.

The first 20 were easy, almost accidental, after I moved out of my mother's house and went to college. My mother is a wonderful person, but she shows her love through food. LOTS of food. So. Much. Food. And we bonded as a family by watching TV, not by doing anything active. So when I went off to college and was able to make my own food choices for once, as well as becoming active through dance classes and waking all over campus for classes, my body just kind of natural shed about 20 lbs of sloth weight.

After I graduated college I got my first job in a dinky little town where I knew absolutely no one and was bored spitless most of the time I wasn't at work. So, I started going to the gym for the first time in my life. I would try all the different aerobics classes they offered to meet people (Zumba and TurboKick were my favorites), and I also joined Weight Watchers. WW saved my life. If you know nothing about health, food, or nutrition, it is THE place to turn to. That's when I started to incorporate healthy food choices into my life. Whole wheat everything, learned what a portion was, started eating more fruits & veggies as close to their natural state as possible, and also learned about healthy substitutes for cooking and baking. I will forever encourage anyone starting out on their weight loss journey to go to WW first. It will change you. I got down to about 175 during that year, and that's where I stayed until last summer.

Last summer I started running. I didn't think I would ever say this, but I love running. Didn't even think I COULD run because I have a bum knee, but after a year of consistant running and a 20 lb weight loss, my knee doesn't hurt anymore. Ever. I think running has made it stronger, and losing the weight helped lift a giant strain off of it, I'm sure. I will forever be a runner.

Two months ago, I started to think I wanted to lose that last 20-25 lbs. I found this website through the app on my phone back in Feb., but decided I needed to start taking advanted of it if I wanted another change. And voila! I'm here! I've lost 5 lbs by tracking my food and exercise. It's slow again, but I just have to keep reminding myself that I am trying to lose, not maintain. My eating habits HAVE to be different during the period of losing. I know how to maintain, I'm good at that, but switching my mind back into losing mode is always hard for the first couple of months.

My piece of advice for anyone is to educate yourself. On your body, on food, on different activities. And stay active in the message boards, even if you're just loitering. You all really do make a difference in my life, and I hope I can return the favor!
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Aw, you look gorgeous! And you have great clothes :D
  • kewoo
    kewoo Posts: 3
    Options
    WOW what a change, well done on your journey to become fit and healthy. You look fantastic and are an inspiration. WELL DONE xx
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You look great!! Can you tell me how tall you are?
  • Shawtee808
    Shawtee808 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    great job! very inspirational! =)
  • kyger
    kyger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weight loss. i lost 52 pounds last year and found that i have put 40 of that back on. Do you have any pointers or suggestions that might help me out?
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Lookin' Fabulous!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!