Help! Nothings happening!

Options
Hello!
So I’ve decided to start using this awesome tool to help me lose some weight. In addition to counting calories I also workout six days a week and use my Apple Watch to help with my total daily calories. In four weeks I managed to lose six pounds (cool) but it’s all stopped. I feel like maybe I’m not eating enough? I’ve given myself 1650 calories to eat. (That’s what calculators are telling me) but my daily “calories going out” are around 2600- 3000. Is this why I’m not losing lbs? Should I trust my Apple Watch? I’m currently trying a different approach by intermittent fasting and doing low carb (almost Keto) and not working as much. My workouts were mostly cardio and some weightlifting. I’m so confused with all this.. please help!

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    no fit-bits and apple watch cal burns can be off by a long shot, not always, but yes off.
  • Rocio12
    Rocio12 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 it’s been two weeks since losing lbs.
    I’m 5’3 192 lbs Goal weight-160
    No food scale yet. Logging everything, everyday!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Rocio12 wrote: »

Your answer is here.
    kami3006 wrote: »
    y2feayeoym6w.jpg

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Your answer is here.

@quiksylver296 - momentary off-topic, but I love that new avatar pic! :D

Hawt, right?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    And I so wish we would add to the standard questions and graph: Are you weighing daily and using a trending weight app or web site, or are you sampling your weight on a weekly basis and failing to see progress due to natural weight fluctuations? <-- I firmly believe that a GOOD percentage of "help I am not losing" are just simple scale water weight variations and insufficient weight sampling to establish the actual underlying trend.

I agree. We seem to be seeing this more and more.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Two weeks may mean nothing. It's well within the bounds of normal weight fluctuations. If you've made any changes to your diet or exercise routine, expect the scale to be kind of wonky for 3-4 weeks before making more changes.

Food scales are great for accuracy, but also be sure you're using good entries and such. You'd be surprised how many people we see who don't log things like cooking oils or veggies or cheat days or who confuse fluid ounces and ounces or eyeball portion sizes or don't use the recipe builder or rely too heavily on other people's "generic" or "homemade" entries or don't know the difference between an entry for the cooked product vs. the raw product.

These little things can really add up, so take a step back and be sure you've got a good handle on your logging. If you're sure you're getting everything entered as accurately as you can, then wait it out and adjust again in a couple more weeks. I'd guess you'll see movement again before then, but if not you'll have to drop your calories further or investigate other possible issues.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    And I so wish we would add to the standard questions and graph: Are you weighing daily and using a trending weight app or web site, or are you sampling your weight on a weekly basis and failing to see progress due to natural weight fluctuations? <-- I firmly believe that a GOOD percentage of "help I am not losing" are just simple scale water weight variations and insufficient weight sampling to establish the actual underlying trend.

^yep. This. Two weeks isn't enough time to jump to the food scale issue, imo. That's just normal fluctuations. Especially when the mentions they've just made big changes to their diet.
  • chubbycatcorner
    chubbycatcorner Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    no fit-bits and apple watch cal burns can be off by a long shot, not always, but yes off.

Do you know what is close to accurate? I ask because I am in the same situation.
  • chubbycatcorner
    chubbycatcorner Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I feel like what's the point of owning a tracker if it's not accurate
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I always used my Garmin for keeping track of steps walked or run or Zumba'd. Then I'd check MFP for calories burned for those activities. For Apple Watch at least, you can search "how to calibrate Apple Watch for calorie burn" and there are websites that walk you through it.
  • klovesd84
    klovesd84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My Apple Watch seems to be accurate for me. I deduct my calories in with my TDEE from my watch to spot check and it always makes sense with my weight loss. I think my fitness activities are easy to estimate though, jogging, walking, cycling.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

Do you know what is close to accurate? I ask because I am in the same situation.

All ways of determining calorie burn are just estimates. Yes, the more factors they can take into the calculation should make them more reliable (if they're used for the right activity) but they are still, nonetheless, estimates. The best thing to do is to use one method and evaluate your progress over time (4 to 6 weeks to start) and make adjustments as needed.