New to MFP

Options
sweatnsparx
sweatnsparx Posts: 6 Member
edited September 2018 in Introduce Yourself
After hitting an emotional rock bottom stemming from my weight, I’m here and working hard to lose 70-80 lbs.

Several years ago I was about 70 lbs lighter due to severe bulimia. That ship sailed but I’ve gained all the weight back. Here I am now, sweating in the gym everyday on a mission to do this the healthy way.

Terrified to purchase a scale, but also unsure how else to track progress. Sometimes a scale can be a trigger, but with a warped body image I can’t trust myself to track progress through mirror shots or the size of my clothes. Any thoughts? Currently only acknowledging goals achieved in my workouts (incline/resistance adjustments on cardio machines, increased dumbbell weights, etc.) Thoughts on “healthy” and “positive” body weight tracking?

💥💥

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Practically speaking, weighing yourself is the easiest way to track weightloss progress, and eating less is the easiest way to lose weight. What's mentally/emotionally easiest, is another issue. And then maybe you just have to challenge some of your fears. But do it sensibly. So we're not really the best place to get advice. Are you currently in treatment for eating disorder, or have you been, if so, did you get any advice on the things you're asking now?
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    As for weighing yourself, if you can't deal with losing small amounts, your weight stalling, or the patience weight loss takes, it might be helpful to hold off having scales at home until you feel ready emotionally. I get weighed at the doctor's when I have an appointment, and rarely step on my own scales at home, because they don't give an accurate reading, and because I found it difficult emotionally if they didn't show any changes, or if I hadn't lost as much as I'd thought. If you see a HCP regularly you can get weighed and might be able to have your measurements taken at your appointments, or at the dietitian's if you have one. That might help you gradually ease into weighing yourself at home without getting triggered, and you can always ask for advice when you're there.
  • sweatnsparx
    sweatnsparx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah thanks, guys! In response to that first message - I’m no longer bulimic (it’s been maybe 3-4 years since). I never went to treatment for it or anything. I’ve just heard through the grapevine to try and avoid scales because it could get obsessive. I’m not restricting my diet either, as I’ve found the foods I normally eat are healthy, balanced and fueling. After plugging in my information to this app I’m falling short from my “targeted daily calories” by about 1,500. Seems like a far stretch? Though I’m never finding myself too hungry or craving anything between meals/snacks so I’m trusting my body in that I’m eating enough.

I suppose I’ll just keep pushing harder and harder in the gym. It’s a mental challenge as much as it is a physical one. Maybe in several months I’ll look into buying a scale (LOL) but I’m actually liking your idea of occasionally hopping onto one if I have a doctor’s appt. Thanks for the tip! I appreciate it.

I’m looking at this return to the gym as a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. It’s time for me to get realistic about meeting my goals in a healthy fashion.

Cheers!