How much is too much? Or are others just different?

Options
So I workout 5-6 days a week, and most days I usually w/o between 90-120mins. My sister tells me weekly that I border on obsessive. I do take rest days, and I eat really well. I've upped my calories, and if I'm hungry, I eat. WTF!

There are the rare days when I may workout 3-4 hours, but it's broken up, and 75 mins of that might be walking at a moderate pace. I currently do not work, all of my other obligations are done, and I feel fantastic.

How much are you working out? I am not at my goal weight, still 40lbs away, and I vary what I do. Just curious. Thanks!

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    People tell me I've become obsessed as well, and I do anywhere from 45-120 minutes a day, just depending on my schedule. I say as long as you're being healthy, go for it! :)
  • Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    Very cute dog!!!
    I say do what works for you!! Everyone always has an opinion but who cares!! You know your body best!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Well I take the dog out every day for about 90 minutes, which already puts me at more than you :P Plus I belly dance, jog and do zumba over the course of a week, for anything from 20 minutes to 2 hours... It' working fantastically for me, I don't obsess about it and I'm not addicted and I'm loosing both weight and inche, plu my abs are firming up. I used to do strength training daily, but I got out of the routine a few weeks ago.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I workout a minimum of 4 days/week and a maximum of 5, each workout is only 30 minutes in length.
    But I also bike to and from work, which is a short ride(7.5k/day, 3.75 each way) and only do it when the weather is good (2-5 days/week).
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    I workout 4 to 5 days a week for 60 to 90 min per workout. I know that some people exercise everyday, and some only 3 or less times a week.

I think it all depends on you. I find that if I am exercising to much my body turns against me, which will lead to not exercising at all. I've found a good routine that works for me. You're not obsessive, your just doing what feels right for you...and that is never a bad thing.
  • PJS323
    PJS323 Posts: 115
    Options
    Thanks! That's my baby-she a pit bull mix, and hopefully after Sunday I will have my own picture up here. I hate taking pictures, but I've promised for months that I would do it. Thanks for your post!
  • katzrich
    katzrich Posts: 17
    Options
    I think the amount people workout is going to vary depending on health, interest, etc. As long as you are living a balanced life I don't see a problem with it.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Throughout my whole process I have just done what my trainer has told me. Two days of weights and strength training plus 30 minutes of cardio, and three other days of 45 minutes of cardio. Sometimes I go up to an hour but not much more than that. On days I do outdoor activities such as biking or hiking, I'm obviously doing a lot more than an hour. It doesn't seem like a lot of working out, but it has definitely got me results and I burn a lot of calories so I'm not going to mess with what works :)
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I do 1-2 hours, six days a week. Everything I've read says you need that much for optimal health. I don't let my naysayers bug me. If they'd seen the slow, long, drawn out deaths both my parents suffered -- and primarily a result of not taking good care of themselves when they were young -- they'd be right there with me. Just make sure you're mixing up your activities and not wearing out your joints!
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not neglecting other obligations, you're not injuring yourself, and you have that much free time, then you can do whatever you want as your "hobby". It sounds like a whole lot of time spent to me, but I don't ENJOY working out that much, it's something I do because I need to. You might think I spend a lot of time watching TV or whatever, it's just all about what you enjoy doing in your free time.

Oh, and I do 45 mins 5x/wk. All cardio at this point, I know I need to add weights/RT but haven't gotten there.
  • JonClaw
    JonClaw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Weekdays after lunch for at least 30 minutes, for me.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    If you are eating enough to handle that calorie burn and "net" enough for your body to do the rest of it's daily duties, then keep right on chugging! Rest days will give your body a chance to heal and you may notice that you improve faster.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting adequate rest & nutrition and your body doesn't feel wiped out, if this is something you enjoy doing.. why not?

I aim for between 30 - 150 minutes 3 - 5 days a week depending on what I'd like to work out and how motivated/energized I am that day lol
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I usually work out one day, take the next off, and alternate to help with any stiffness or soreness. I can only do about 1 hour sessions, because I have no stamina. as long as you give yourself time to rest and recuperate and repair your muscles you should be fine.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    People ask me a lot "So, what have you been doing to lose all this weight?" Like I had aliens come and snatch my fat cells.... um, no! I tell them the following "I work out, hard, 7 days a week" And it's the truth. Every single day, I need exercise. It makes me feel better to work out. It helps me get rid of stress, water weight and burn calories to lose weight overall. Some days, I'm on strength training, some days I'm on cardio, some days I'm on yoga and abs. But each day is a hard workout and it's not obsessive to work on making your body better. If you're in danger of losing your job or you're unable to shorten a workout to pick up cat food and your cat dies.... then yeah, it's taken over your life. What you do with your body is your own business as long as you're not physically, mentally or emotionally hurting yourself or others. People that want to sound so unspoortive need to mind their own beeswax!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    So I workout 5-6 days a week, and most days I usually w/o between 90-120mins. My sister tells me weekly that I border on obsessive. I do take rest days, and I eat really well. I've upped my calories, and if I'm hungry, I eat. WTF!

There are the rare days when I may workout 3-4 hours, but it's broken up, and 75 mins of that might be walking at a moderate pace. I currently do not work, all of my other obligations are done, and I feel fantastic.

How much are you working out? I am not at my goal weight, still 40lbs away, and I vary what I do. Just curious. Thanks!

Obsession is what lazy people call people who are dedicated. Don't over train. You might be burning muscle which is not what you want to do. But if you feel good and you're eating well, keep at it! Since I got to my goal, I workout every other day for only an hour. I used to do 5 days a week for 2 hours.
  • marpeters
    marpeters Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was just talking with my trainer about this very subject. I've been training for a triathalon. I have greatly lengthened my cardio workouts...obviously...but have gained a percentage of fat. My trainer suggested it is because working out for longer periods of time doesn't necessarily get you the intensity it takes to get rid of fat. If it is weight loss you want, you may want to shorten some of your workouts into more intense interval training kinds of routines. After my triathalon I'm headed back to shorter more intense workouts....except for swimming...I HATE interval training when swimming...I just practice swimming so I won't drown. :)
  • 57rainbows
    57rainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking the other day about how people toss around the word "addicted". They'll say someone is so addicted to texting, or to reading, or even to eating healthy! Truth is, an addiction isn't something you just do a lot, it's something you keep doing and can't seem to stop doing DESPITE negative consequences. So using drugs a lot and not being able to stop is an addiction; it's bad for health, finances, relationships, and many people feel like crumb most of the time but they have to do it anyway. But if you're 'addicted' to say, fresh veggies, then unless it causes problems somehow it's not an addiction at all it's just something you do a lot.

Same goes for obsession, working out "too much", being crazy about eating healthy.... you definitely could have an unhealthy relationship with those things and that would be bad. Working out to the point of damaging your body, for example. But if it's something that's actually beneficial to you and doesn't have negative consequences, then you're not obsessed or addicted you just love being fit!

I'd say to just make sure you aren't neglecting other areas of your life like relationships by spending so much time in the gym. If your sis is serious about thinking you do it too much, you could invite her to explain what negative consequences she feels like there might be. Maybe she has a legit concern, or maybe she's just joking around with you because many people have to drag themselves to the gym. As long as you're really being healthy in all areas of your life, more power too you!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I think it depends upon a person's goals, too. If goals are fat loss, a lot of what I've been reading and hearing lately indicates that more is NOT always better, especially when it comes to doing a ton of cardio. Exercise can actually increase cortisol levels which promotes fat storage, not release. (I'm definitely not an expert on the matter, though. This comes from lots of listening to Robb Wolf and reading Mark Sisson -- both of whom subscribe to a paleo/primal philosophy when it comes to eating and exercise. So, you can Google them and decide for yourself.)

If your goals are finishing a big endurance event or participating in elite athletics, then more exercise might be what it takes to get there. And if you just plain like working out for that much per week, then by all means, do it! Eat enough, rest enough, and don't power through injuries and have fun.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I got this from somebody on here but I like the saying "Obsession is a word the lazy use for the dedicated" haha I just realized a poster above me wrote this too, oh well It still applies haha

I work out 5-6 days a week anywhere from 20minutes to 1 hour and a half, depending on what I need to do that day.