Potassium vitamin/ supplement?

Options
So I have been working hard to get more potassium in my diet but sometimes fall short and with cramping from exercise I get, I know I need more. Just wondering if there is any harm in taking a potassium vitamin as a supplement? Thanks for any info!

Replies

• kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have not done much research, but I started taking a potassium supplement shortly after joining MFP in June, precisely because I noticed that I NEVER GET ENOUGH POTASSIUM. I just don't seem to eat the foods that are high in potassium (and certainly not enough of them on a low cal diet). For some reason my otherwise to die for multivitamin does not contain potassium. Got my supplement at Whole Foods (because I wanted vegetarian). The dose is small, so the amount I take various daily. I can report that I definately feel better. No doubt about it. I can even tell the difference day to day in terms of how much potassium I take (i.e., sometimes I just take one pill and forget to take more, other days I remember to look at my intake and take additional supplements as needed). I don't think one should ever exceed recommended intake (like Vitamin C), but I can't see the harm in taking the recommended daily quota.

Interested to hear what others have to say.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I take a potassium supplement :)
    I am an a big advocator of getting enough potassium.

Some good food options that are high in potassium are
    Bananas (of course)
    Kiwis
    Potatoes
    Sweet Potatoes
    Avocados
    Dried Apricots
    Coconut Water
    Spinach
    Mushrooms
    Zucchini
    Brussles Sprouts
  • Crittywitty
    Options
    I also started taking a potassium supplement shortly after joining mfp and seeing how short I am on potassium. I do not take it if I am close to my daily dietary need. When I researched it, I found that potassium helps with balancing the water in our bodies, so is good for easing bloating and water retention, and also helps with bowel movements. The one thing to be careful of is that too much potassium is tough on the heart and can overwork your heart, so just be careful not to overdo it.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended potassium for me about a year ago for leg cramps. Really helps. Just don't take too much.

I also love coconut water, which has quite a bit of potassium.