Bread question

Options
Any suggestions for a low carb bread that’s palatable?

Replies

• kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Depending on your definition of low carb Nature's Own Life bread has 19 carbs and 80 calories for 2 slices
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    There is a Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat that is sugar free. Has the lowest carbs I have found.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Any palatable bread will have carbs. Look for breads that also have higher fiber. Assuming you are eating low carb or keto you would be counting net carbs instead of total carbs like diabetics need to do so the more fiber, the fewer net carbs. There are some tortillas out there with only 4 grams of net carbs and they make tasty wraps and burritos.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    The only low carb bread I've tried which was remotely decent would be fathead dough flat bread. You could make foccacia, garlic knots/sticks, twists, pizza, rolls. If you're going to use it for sandwiches, remember to roll it to accommodate you ideal sandwich size or roll size. Standard recipes only accommodate slider sized servings. Adjust caloric amount for logging here

Any other low carb Keto bread is either too cakey or eggy . When toasted, it tastes a lot like Cinnamon French toast, without the need to add actual cinnamon.

Flaxseed bread is delicious, only if you like high fiber breads.

Ezekiel Flax Sprouted Whole Grain Bread is great for those, "I need a low carb bread sandwich" moments.🍔

Tried Udi millet chia bread 🤢 ... I did not favour it at all.

You really have to experiment with store bought and low carb breads you bake at home to determine what agrees with your taste buds.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Good luck finding traditional bread that is really low carb. You might try subbing in low carb tortillas instead so you're still getting some "grain fullness". You can usually find several brands with 5 or less net carbs.
  • lyzxyzzy
    lyzxyzzy Posts: 52 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    There are some keto breads you can make. They tend to be high in fat and calories and may or may not actually be considered bread. Store bought items in this area are very expensive. In my view the amount of energy you are getting for the high price is unjustified. It is much cheaper to just control portion sizes.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain Very Thin Sliced Bread comes in around 7 grams a slice. It's not magical or anything, it's just regular bread sliced really thin, but it gets the job done when you want some bread.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have tried a few grain free recipes out of curiosity. Of the ones I've tried, some taste good, but don't expect it to actually taste like real bread or you will be disappointed.
    Google oopsie bread. It's made from eggs, cream cheese, and cream of tartar. It's ok, but honestly calorie content is probably higher than real bread so it wouldn't help you with weight loss.
    You could also try using almond flour or maybe coconut flour, but it won't be the same as actual bread.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    This looks interesting...

BEST KETO BREAD
    COURSE: SIDE DISH CUISINE: AMERICAN PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES COOK TIME: 30 MINUTESTOTAL
    TIME: 40 MINUTES SERVINGS: 20 SLICES CALORIES: 90 KCAL
    Net Carbs: 1.25g

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving (25 g)
    Calories 90 Calories from Fat 63
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 7g 11%
    Total Carbohydrates 2g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 0.75g 3%
    Protein 3g 6%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
    INGREDIENTS
    1 1/2 Cup Almond Flour
    6 Large eggs Separated
    4 tbsp Butter melted
    3 tsp Baking powder
    1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar It's ok if you don't have this
    1 pinch Pink Salt
    6 drops Liquid Stevia optional

INSTRUCTIONS
    Preheat oven to 375.
    Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Add Cream of Tartar to the whites and beat until soft peaks are achieved.
    In a food processor combine the egg yolks, 1/3 of the beaten egg whites, melted butter, almond flour, baking powder and salt (Adding ~6 drops of liquid stevia to the batter can help reduce the mild egg taste). Mix until combined. This will be a lumpy thick dough until the whites are added.
    Add the remaining 2/3 of the egg whites and gently process until fully incorporated. Be careful not to overmix as this is what gives the bread it's volume!
    Pour mixture into a buttered 8x4 loaf pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Check with a toothpick to ensure the bread is cooked through. Enjoy! 1 loaf makes 20 slices.
    https://www.ketoconnect.net/best-keto-bread/
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think there are some low-carb / low calorie tortilla wrap type things. As far as bread, I don't think there is a good substitute. IMO you either eat bread or you don't. You could do open-faced sandwiches with only one slice of bread, or you can do those sara lee 45 calorie loaves. Or lettuce wraps instead.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few recipes for bread alternatives and honestly, none of them taste great to me. They never satisfy the craving.

When I'm craving some bread I just have regular bread--just a very small portion that fits into my overall goals. I opt for wheat or whole grain over white. Because I have to be concerned about blood sugar I might also do something active, like take a brisk walk, after eating bread or pasta to help control any blood sugar spikes.

If you have Pinterest you can find some great low-carb/keto recipes. I've tried some things that have been disasters (like low-carb cookies that looked terrible and tasted even worse) and some things that I've liked (like fat head crackers, egg roll in a bowl, and fried cauliflower rice).

But what others are saying is true--low-carb alternatives never (to me, anyhow) taste exactly like what you are replacing. You will flavor and texture differences in most of these switches. You have to find what you like. I could never just eat "plain" cauliflower rice. Ick. But--it really crushes my craving for rice when I make it into cauliflower fried rice and pair it with shrimp or chicken.

Experiment and get creative or low-carb isn't sustainable, and if you are low-carbing for medical reason then you need it to be a sustainable life change.

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    It's not bread, but I use low carb wraps often. I'm not watching carbs specifically, but the reduced carbs results in reduced calories which I am watching. The brand I use (Skip the Sandwich, or something like that) has 60 calories and I think 6 net carbs (I don't pay attention to the carbs).

I use them for wraps/sandwiches, in place of crackers - kinda flimsy though lol, fajitas or tacos, tear off small pieces for soup, layered egg dishes, dessert quesadilla with a smear of FF cream cheese or PB2 and fruit or cinnamon, etc...
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    When I want bread, I go for the low-calorie stuff, which I guess would be lower in carbs than regular bread too. I like the Aunt Millie's brand of bread. I eat bread for psychological satisfaction and get the satiety from the vegetables or whatever else I eat with it, so an airy low-calorie bread works for me.
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee "delightful" is good tasting , 45 calories and 9g carbs per slice
    Did I mention it tastes good?
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? I absolutely love the old tiyme Schmidt 647 bread. It’s not available everywhere though. I buy it at Costco, $5.69 for two loaves. My second choice for bread is Sara Lee delightful wheat bread.

http://schmidtbaking.com/products/647-2/
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    It's not bread, but I use low carb wraps often. I'm not watching carbs specifically, but the reduced carbs results in reduced calories which I am watching. The brand I use (Skip the Sandwich, or something like that) has 60 calories and I think 6 net carbs (I don't pay attention to the carbs).

I use them for wraps/sandwiches, in place of crackers - kinda flimsy though lol, fajitas or tacos, tear off small pieces for soup, layered egg dishes, dessert quesadilla with a smear of FF cream cheese or PB2 and fruit or cinnamon, etc...

Tumaro is the brand. I just bought them but haven’t tried them yet.