Leg cramps

Options
Hi all. I am currently trying to lose some weight by cutting out sugars and most carbs. Although fruit is not necessarily a no no, I am really trying to keep my carbs low.
In the past I would get bad leg cramps and fix that by eating a lot of bananas. But I am wondering if anyone can give me advice on low carb potassium items that help them with the cramping. I already eat a lot of green vegetables but they don’t seem to have the same instant cramp relief that a banana gives me. All suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Pickle juice and generally staying hydrated.
  • JenRlcks
    JenRlcks Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I’ll have to try the pickle juice.
    PS... it’s a great chaser for Patron too. 😏
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Bananas work for me too. Don't you need high potassium?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Your electrolytes are unbalanced because of the low carb.
    Get some Nuns tablets, Emergen-C, or other electrolyte replacement.

Low carb isn't needed to lose weight. If you choose to continue low carbing look for the 'low carb' and 'Keto' groups, they will give you guidance on salt intake etc.

Cheers, h.
  • WhiskersOnDucks
    Options
    Tonic water works for me, along with the usual bananas.
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    JenRlcks wrote: »
    Hi all. I am currently trying to lose some weight by cutting out sugars and most carbs. Although fruit is not necessarily a no no, I am really trying to keep my carbs low.
    In the past I would get bad leg cramps and fix that by eating a lot of bananas. But I am wondering if anyone can give me advice on low carb potassium items that help them with the cramping. I already eat a lot of green vegetables but they don’t seem to have the same instant cramp relief that a banana gives me. All suggestions are appreciated.
    I used to get massive leg cramps in inner thighs and calves at the same time until I started taking magnesium supplements. Haven't had one cramp in 12 months.

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Leg cramps can also be caused by magnesium deficiency, not just potassium. I would look into sources for both.
  • bluebirds5
    bluebirds5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is high in potassium
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Avocados have a lot of potassium, and the net carbs are ok for low carb, you’ll have to see if it’s ok for your style of keto.

Low-sodium salt substitute is high in potassium. (Nu-salt type, not Mrs Dash seasoning blends). Your doc can prescribe potassium tablets if needed, too.

Look up foods to avoid for dialysis patients. Patients on dialysis can’t have a lot of potassium, so those are foods for you to eat if you want to boost your potassium.
  • CNG24
    CNG24 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Pickle juice. Magnesium softgels and potassium!
  • SusannO
    SusannO Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    funjen is right that you should look at both magnesium and potassium. If you are just trying to lower your carb intake, then one banana a day would be ok. Avocados are great too. You can get potassium by using Morton lite blue salt which has potassium added. Be careful when you start adding potassium in other ways than food as you can have too much. Magnesium from lots of different vegies and meat. If you need supplementation, use the malate form as the citrate and others are laxatives. If you are trying to do keto, then bananas are out and also make sure you are getting more sodium. I rarely salted food, but now I add more to certain dishes.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    JenRlcks wrote: »
    Hmmm. I’ll have to try the pickle juice.
    PS... it’s a great chaser for Patron too. 😏

Picklebacks!!!! Yes it is!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!