Can never gain weight

I don’t know what it is but for some odd reason I can never gain weight. I’m just a little bit away from being “normal” weight.
I feel like I eat often, I eat three meals a day ( two in the afternoon, one in school and one after school, and then dinner; occasionally a snack as well. I don’t eat breakfast cause I don’t have time) but I still can’t seem to gain weight.
The main thing that annoys me is that I hate my thigh gap..? Is there anything you guys can possibly recommend me to help me gain weight, specifically in my thigh area.

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    How old are you?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Not able to gain weight is aka under eating. Weight gain and loss come down to thermodynamics and energy balance. It’s simple if you’re not gaining weight you’re not eating enough and if you’re not losing weight you’re eating too much
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited September 2018
    How often, how many meals and what food is largely irrelevant. You didn’t mention how many calories per day nor your gender, age or activity level which are the relevant questions. Bottom line.. eat more and pick up heavy things and then put them down.
  • lilygarcia3
    lilygarcia3 Posts: 22 Member
    Include high calorie snacks during your day. If you eat a yogurt then add some shredded almonds and fruits, crackers then add peanur butter and have a cup of milk, maybe make smoothies with banana and peanut butter. If you eat vegetables then melt some cheese on it. Try to snack or eat every 3 hours. I hope this helps. :)
  • irock3484
    irock3484 Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2018
    Try to make time for breakfast in the morning even if its just grabbing a banana. All that walking around at school and activities burns calories from yesterday if you havent ate anything. You have to eat more than you burn. I suggest you download sparkteen because the calories here that MFP suggests are for adults. They’re not for children who’s active in school. Sorry
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    irock3484 wrote: »
    Try to make time for breakfast in the morning even if its just grabbing a banana. All that walking around at school and activities burns calories from yesterday if you havent ate anything. You have to eat more than you burn. I suggest you download sparkteen because the calories here that MFP suggests are for adults. They’re not for children who’s active in school. Sorry

well the 90 calories in a banana is better than nothing but fruit is never really a useful go to for someone wanting to gain weight.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    The frequency of your meals is irrelevant. What really matters, as others have mentioned, is the caloric density of these meals. To some, a “meal” might constitute a piece of toast and an side of fruit, which would hardly contribute to weight gain. How are you tracking your caloric intake? Have you calculated your maintenance calories and are you eating above that number? This is all what really matters. As far as your thigh gap goes, that has a lot to do with the structure of your body. If you’re at a healthy weight and still have the gap, incorporating adductor excercises into your strength training routine will help. If you’re not currently following a routine then I HIGHLY suggest you start otherwise eating in a surplus will just cause you to gain fat.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited September 2018
    Lift weights and eat a bit more protein and fat (and a small to moderate surplus of calories). Try to build muscles where you want to look more robust. Squats, good mornings, and deadlifts (progressively heavier) are great for thighs.
  • jamie711357
    jamie711357 Posts: 3 Member
    I have the same problem im 36/f and i weigh like 87lbs eww. I dont wat much because i work third shift so my days are not long and i need way too many calories a day to gain weight. I started doing protein shakes also on top of eating will that help? But at the end of the day im still short on calories its been hard i gain a pound then lose it again
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Grambo54 wrote: »
    Get into the gym. If youre young, like under 40, Squats, squats and more squats to bulk the legs, and bench presses, chinups and shoulder presses, sets of 8. Eat up,as much as you want, work hard in the gym for an hour or so 3x a week, you will gain weight. If you dont, youre not eating enough nor working hard enough.

Honestly don’t listen to this comment, horrible advice....
    Sets of 8....ummm why would I do 8 sets of bench or shoulder raises....etc, that much volume is not necessary, progressive overload is key.
    An hour or so each week? Very general.
    And not working hard enough if you’re not gaining weight?? Technically working harder would cause you to burn more calories, thus creating an easier deficit. I’m sorry, there’s just so much that is so wrong with your post/ advice

• alexa0ne
    alexa0ne Posts: 90 Member
    Have you ever tried to consult a doctor about it? I have a friend who has the same situation as you are, he consulted a dietitian then talk to a gym professional and they help him to gain weight. He is taking some supplements and is having a meal plan. He also goes to the gym atleast 2 to 3 times a week. I can see the improvement since the last time we met.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    I have the same problem im 36/f and i weigh like 87lbs eww. I dont wat much because i work third shift so my days are not long and i need way too many calories a day to gain weight. I started doing protein shakes also on top of eating will that help? But at the end of the day im still short on calories its been hard i gain a pound then lose it again

How many calories are you aiming for and how have you calculated what you think you need? If you're eating around what you should be for your height/ age/ weight and not seeing any weight gain you should see a doctor. As someone with celiac I can tend to see it everywhere but if you're not absorbing the nutrients from the food you eat, that or another digestive disorder could be at play.

If the problem is just not being able to eat enough calories then high fat foods are your best friend. Peanut butter, full fat dairy, fatty cuts of meat, pizza and sweets even. 87lb isn't "eew" because no body weight is "eew" but it is very low and your long term health may suffer. If you can fit protein shakes into your day you can add milk or yoghurt, peanut butter, bananas etc into them so you get more calories.
  • smolmaus wrote: »

How many calories are you aiming for and how have you calculated what you think you need? If you're eating around what you should be for your height/ age/ weight and not seeing any weight gain you should see a doctor. As someone with celiac I can tend to see it everywhere but if you're not absorbing the nutrients from the food you eat, that or another digestive disorder could be at play.

If the problem is just not being able to eat enough calories then high fat foods are your best friend. Peanut butter, full fat dairy, fatty cuts of meat, pizza and sweets even. 87lb isn't "eew" because no body weight is "eew" but it is very low and your long term health may suffer. If you can fit protein shakes into your day you can add milk or yoghurt, peanut butter, bananas etc into them so you get more calories.

doesnt mean its celiac though. it could be many things besides not eating enough like hyperthyroid. but then op wants to gain weight in his/her thighs which of course we know we cant spot add or reduce
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    annazou77 wrote: »
    I don’t know what it is but for some odd reason I can never gain weight. I’m just a little bit away from being “normal” weight.
    I feel like I eat often, I eat three meals a day ( two in the afternoon, one in school and one after school, and then dinner; occasionally a snack as well. I don’t eat breakfast cause I don’t have time) but I still can’t seem to gain weight.
    The main thing that annoys me is that I hate my thigh gap..? Is there anything you guys can possibly recommend me to help me gain weight, specifically in my thigh area.

Part of the problem is you stated, "I feel like I eat often." The second problem is that you eat three meals a day. Don't do occasional snacks, eat multiple snacks, but healthy ones that are easy to take with you and eat on the go or between classes. Shakes are good too. But getting back to the first problem, are you logging in what you eat? That was my first main problem is not logging my food intake, it's a pain at first, but once you get used to doing it, it becomes much easier, you really should log in most of what you eat so you have an idea of where you stand with respect to total caloric intake. You may feel full, but maybe your 3 meals are too big and you need to do more frequent smaller meals somehow.
  • Grambo54
    Grambo54 Posts: 75 Member

Honestly don’t listen to this comment, horrible advice....
    Sets of 8....ummm why would I do 8 sets of bench or shoulder raises....etc, that much volume is not necessary, progressive overload is key.
    An hour or so each week? Very general.
    And not working hard enough if you’re not gaining weight?? Technically working harder would cause you to burn more calories, thus creating an easier deficit. I’m sorry, there’s just so much that is so wrong with your post/ advice

Thanks for the comment. Can I clarify a little. If you walked into a gym and said you wanted to gain weight my plan is something like what they would give you, plus stretching etc etc. I know, I owned a gym for many years and competed as a bodybuilder, so I have some experience of how to gain weight by weight training. Its not 8 sets, its sets of 8 reps, like 3 or 4 sets of 8, warmup first set, then increase intensity each set. Its not an hour a week, Its 5 workouts in 2 weeks. Its not shoulder raises, its dumbell presses. Big difference. The harder you work the more muscle you will gain and thus more weight you will gain. You will get hungrier, and you will eat more. You have to burn the calories in the gym(work hard) for the muscle weight to go on. Eat more, drink protein shake smoothies etc. It works.

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great topic!