Trouble getting into weight lifting... cardio bunny in training ):

Options
2»

Replies

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Group fitness classes like Bodypump are great for beginners as you control the weight. And the workouts are changed up all the time. Doing it 10+ years. Just find the right instructors/gym, makes a world of difference. I do it fasted in the morning then eat protein (6 real egg whites with salsa) soon as I get home. MAJOR difference when I started timing eating protein after workouts, starting dropping body fat fast (I'm over 50 too). Then it's greek yogurt in the afternoon. I had tried trainers and machines and at home stuff, didn't work for me - either too $$ to keep up or boring. By the way, many of the people in the class are older than me and they look amazing.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Also a body pump fan. I did it in the gym on and off for years then when I cancelled my gym membership in the spring I bought my own barbell and weights set and pay monthly for Les Mills on Demand and do body pump classes at home 3 to 4 times a week.

The music and variety of workouts keeps it interesting and my body shape has improved with great muscle tone. I was never interested in weight machines at the gym but fell in love with body pump when I first tried it 11 years ago and back then also it was the game changer in my weight loss and body shape goals after months of cardio only wasn't cutting it.

I'm so glad I decided to get into it again and plan to continue for life and increase the weights I use significantly by the end of the year. I feel so much more confident and strong lifting and even though it may seem to slow down weight loss, you definitely lose inches. Oh and back pain has significantly reduced.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    JoAnna4731 wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned home workouts. I started by using videos with dumbells and resistance bands at home with instructors who give very specific instructions on form and a full length mirror - I love Cathe Friedrich and Jessica Smith. Bought new dumbbells as I progressed. I loathe weight lifting and don’t see myself as a “lifter” but I really needed strength in order it work through some injuries.

I credit most of the improvements in my shape to Cathe Friedrich. She's amazing! I do Jessica Smith videos on "easy" days.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned home workouts. I started by using videos with dumbells and resistance bands at home with instructors who give very specific instructions on form and a full length mirror - I love Cathe Friedrich and Jessica Smith. Bought new dumbbells as I progressed. I loathe weight lifting and don’t see myself as a “lifter” but I really needed strength in order it work through some injuries.

I also started at home with fitness blender...I built up a small home gym and joined a gym and have run programs since...it was all small steps to get to where I am now.

Picking a program takes the guess work out of it and also allows your goals to be attainable and laid out. Full body is usually recommended when starting (what I did as well)...either way best of luck..lifting is my therapy.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Well, the OP has a gym membership, so that's why I focused on that. But speaking of home workouts, I'm currently doing "The RBG Workout: How She Stays Strong . . . and You Can Too!" at home. Can also be done at the gym.

When I started, I already had some dumb bells and straps, and got more from my neighbor and freecycle.org. So my initial investment was just $10.32 for the book (which is a few dollars more now.)

I recently got two more sets of heavier dumb bells and a slant bench from Walmart.
  • chuckb24c
    chuckb24c Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I hear you and like you I don't like lifting but I am paying a price for it. After years of neglect and getting older I have discovered that I am not strong for my age, gender or size. I am playing catch up just so I can offset some of the issues associated with aging.. The good news is I started going to Orangetheory and I love it. I totally agree with AMYPEDX ! It is making a difference in my strength and energy levels. You'll get cardio and strength and I promise you won't get bored. Most of the ladies there (majority of participants are women) have become very toned, strong and are in excellent shape.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Apps and programs are great, but they don’t correct bad form. To get the most out of weights and to help keep yourself injury free, please set up a couple sessions with a qualified trainer to get off to a good start.

Once you know what to look for in the mirror (it’s not just to see them gainz) and know how the correct movement feels, the sky’s the limit!