From 130 to 110 and looking the same.

Options
I've lost about 20 lbs over 5 or 6 months. I'm only 5 feet tall but I really thought 20 lbs would make a difference.

I'm unable to exercise (doctors have banned even yoga until I'm well into physical therapy) for chronic health issues I'm not really interested in debating.

Most of my clothes are loose or stretchy so fit isn't a good indicator. I just would have thought that losing 20% of my body's weight would look different. It's summer here and no one has noticed the loss so have no inductors other than the scale and how I look and feel. I'm at a point of complete discouragement.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Why are you discouraged? The last few pounds take the longest of all. Nose to the grindstone!
  • kew1952
    kew1952 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For me, even though I have lost 25 pounds so far, it doesn't seem that people are noticing except for my face being slimmer. My husband put it into perspective for me.... he said that my shape is the same, just smaller, which is why people probably haven't noticed as much as I thought they would.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Were you used to looking at yourself regularly before, or did you avoid it? If you aren't used to examining your body for signs of change, no matter how small those changes are, you may not have noticed them. Perhaps no one's commented on your weight because a lot of people just don't nowadays. As a shorter person myself, noticeable weight loss can take some time. I've lost 25lbs but until I'm approaching my goal weight it won't be very apparent. But then again, I don't care whether people notice or not. I'm doing this for me, no one else, and even though I don't see huge changes, I examine my body and keep track of the small changes, of which there are many, and that keeps me going. As other posters have said, go shopping. You don't have to buy anything, but it might help to try on different sizes of non-stretchy clothes to gauge where you're at. You can also pick up a couple of cute things at a charity shop that are a size or two smaller than your current size, and use that as your motivation to keep going. When you slip into them a few months from now, you'll be happy you kept striving towards your goal.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds and didn't see a difference, either. I complained to my sister who said, "You totally have body dysmorphia!" Well, I don't have dysmorphia but her point was that weight loss is slow and it's hard to see the progress because the change is so subtle from day to day. She took me shopping for new clothes. My body had changed, and the proof was in the denim jeans. I started with size 12 jeans and had to buy size 8. The real bonus was now that I had the properly fitting clothes, I looked slimmer. Baggy clothing just made me look frumpy.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Losing 20 pounds is 20% of your bodyweight only if you started at 100 pounds. I’m guessing you mistyped or something. Losing 20 pounds, clearly at 100 pounds, would be very noticeable and extremely underweight, even for a short person. If a person was 200 pounds and lost 20 pounds, that would only be a 10% drop. For a short person at this higher weight, that may not be noticed, since 180 pounds would be quite overweight for a short person. I guess I’m saying is, 20 pounds may or may not be noticeable, depending on where you started.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,595 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Losing 20 pounds is 20% of your bodyweight only if you started at 100 pounds. I’m guessing you mistyped or something. Losing 20 pounds, clearly at 100 pounds, would be very noticeable and extremely underweight, even for a short person. If a person was 200 pounds and lost 20 pounds, that would only be a 10% drop. For a short person at this higher weight, that may not be noticed, since 180 pounds would be quite overweight for a short person. I guess I’m saying is, 20 pounds may or may not be noticeable, depending on where you started.

OP is 130 to 110 at 5ft tall.
    From 25.4 to 21.5 BMI.
    Clearly that would be visible to most people who know her and don't see her day to day and would be visible to her in side by side comparisons of before and after pictures that she objectively evaluates.
    Whether people would comment is another story--not always is the short answer.
    Our minds do play tricks and take a while to catch up.
    Go get new clothes and compare their sizing to your previous size: you will be pleasantly surprised when you try a size or two smaller!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Oops! Forgot that the weight was in the title. Her percentage weight loss then is about 15% and yes, I would agree that would be noticeable at her height.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You need some new clothes that are more structured/fitted/tailored - THEN bam you'll see how much progress you have made and wont be disappointed :smile:

I lost 20lbs and 3 dress sizes, I think you will find similar when you go clothes shopping :smile:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Have you compared pictures