what's better?

Options
what's your opinion of what's better? low calorie stuff or organic?
see, when watching your calories, low cal seems like a good option, but does it make a difference?

Example:
40 calorie bread verses a no hfcs, hearty whole wheat bread.
which is better for losing weight?

Opinions?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is better. Organic, natural, no hfcs, whole wheat. The closer to the source the better quality nutrition, the more of it your body can use. Sure low calories is good but eating clean is more important for your body and health.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I prefer to eat whole wheat bread. It's better for you. Organic doesn't technically mean healthy. You just have look at the fat and calories too.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Indeed organic will always be better. Food is medicine for the body!
  • lisahightower2
    Options
    Whole, clean food is always better for you.

Read "In Defense of Food". It will really open your eyes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is better. Organic, natural, no hfcs, whole wheat. The closer to the source the better quality nutrition, the more of it your body can use. Sure low calories is good but eating clean is more important for your body and health.

100% agree. Low cal stuff can actually be really bad for you, depending on what it is.
  • lisahightower2
    Options
    Think about what they take out to make the food low-cal, then what they have to put back in to make it taste good. Then read the ingredient label. More than 5 ingredients? Things you can't pronounce? Put it back.
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    Organic, hands down.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Neither is better or worse for losing weight. Losing weight is about calories in versus calories out, and hitting your protein and fat macro minimums as well as getting your micro's for general health.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I don't think we can say that one piece of bread is better than another for losing weight. That's just silly.

But, in terms of health, I tend to think one made of actual plants is better than one made from processed lab-created food-like substances.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Cleaner is always better. You don't always need organic. A good rule of thumb is if the food needs to be peeled, it may not need to be organic.

http://greenopolis.com/myopolis/blogs/aresende/what-you-should-shouldnt-buy-organic
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    With organic you are less likely to consume added chemicals, and hopefully not become sick with cancer. If you are counting calories then fit whatever it is you want to consume in.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Eating crap makes you crave more crap. Eat clean and you'll be more satisfied on your alotted calories and healthier, too.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Neither is better or worse for losing weight. Losing weight is about calories in versus calories out, and hitting your protein and fat macro minimums as well as getting your micro's for general health.

Not true and ironically enough this was just posted on the forums here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/293097-not-all-calories-are-equal-says-harvard
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    I think the area where people mess this up the most is with calorically dense stuff. I personally think those DIET fake ice-cream treats taste like air + chemicals. I'd rather have a little bit of full-fat awesome ice cream or frozen yogurt (ciao bella is the bomb yo) than that fake-*kitten* stuff that just makes me crave more. ie: the McDonalds Effect
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'll play devil's advocate. It depends on your goal. If you're looking for ways to lower calories to lose weight faster or so that you can eat bigger quantities, go for the low cal. If you're looking to be healthy, go for the regular, whole grain bread. Personally, I usually go for the regular, whole grain because flavor is important to me - it's not worth putting in my mouth if it's not yummy. My husband just found these wonderful pseudo-rolls called Deli Slims that are only 100 calories each that you might want to try if you have them in your area. They're a Market Basket brand. Fewer calories, great taste, but not low fat or organic.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Organic.

Low-cal is a sham.
  • Godsflower1789
    Options
    just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were :) thanks!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    HFCS will likely increase your appetite.

"real food" is generally more satisfying.
    But be careful and READ LABELS there is a lot of sugars and other bad things snuck into to that I once considered "real food"