Runner's high???

Options
Hey peeps! Okay so I was obese for 3 years (I'm finally overweight as of this week), and it is much easier to run now. I ran for literally only a quarter of a mile (not even very fast), but I felt exhilerated a short while afterwards. Is it even possible to get runner's high after such a short amount of running??? Idk bc I've never run enough to experience this before. Any input would help :)

P.s. I was chubby my whole life and too self conscious to run during my school years. Then I became obese. Now that I'm in my 20s and finallu losing weight, I really really want to become "a runner" as it's something I've dreamt of my ENTIRE life. Alongside being able to do pressups (I still can't even do 1). Any advice or support is welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I started C25K a couple of months ago and definitely felt high after running even though it was only alternating 60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking. I don't feel the high so much any more, but just feel really, really good when I am done. Good luck!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you feel good after a run, then that’s what matters, regardless of whether other people think it’s “really” a runner’s high or not.

If you want to build a long term running routine, then I strongly advise a beginner running program like C25K rather than just going out and running without training. A structured program will help prevent injury and burnout.

Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. Moisture wicking socks are a plus, but proper shoes are a necessity. Invest in a good sports bra if you are a busty person.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    While it's unlikely that the endorphins kicked in after that short of run it is likely that you just really felt good about yourself for the accomplishment (our brains are hard wired to reward us for achieving goals).

The one thing that you'll find is that as you become more fit and more experienced at running that you will have runs where everything is just working right and you feel amazing afterward and runs that are not so good. There are so many variables, quality and quantity of sleep the night before, weather, hydration, nutrition, hormones etc. The real trick is getting back out after a bad run as those are the ones that test our character.

Your story resonates, I was not athletic in my youth and did not like running one little bit. I started in my 50s as I was horribly out of shape and have a family history of heart disease. No one was more surprised than me when I started to actually enjoy running. I did my first 5K race in September 2009, I was slow and it hurt but I've since gone on to half-marathons and triathlons.

You'll be amazed by what you can do with perseverance and consistency. Good luck & have fun!
  • klovesd84
    klovesd84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! You literally took the first step. You are now a runner. Believe it! You don’t have to be running long distances to be “a runner.” Intervals are the best way to start.

I once had an incredible high doing a simple shoulder press at CrossFit. I nearly burst into tears from the rush. Enjoy those good feelings and keep up the good work.
  • hikinggal11
    hikinggal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good for you! If you felt exhilarated afterwards then, yes it was your "runner's high"! Keep it up, as it only gets better.
    BrianSharp and AnvilHead are so right! You will have days were you feel like an under inflated basketball bouncing down the road (that's how I imagine it when I feel sluggish during a run) but tomorrow is another run and another opportunity to have that exhilaration back! I am excited for you on your new journey! Keep us posted.
  • TheHuff_
    TheHuff_ Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Awwww thanks so much for your comments everybody! Sorry, I fell asleep before anyone replied haha. I'm super excited but don't want my enthusiasm to burn out and for me to feel like a failure again when I inevitably have bad days. I'm considering embarking on some sort of couch to 5k plan! Is it also worth practicing sprinting or would you advise against it?

Alsooo, I don't know how to incorporate bodyweight training. I want to build up my strength levels but I'm worried that running 3 times a week and doing bodyweight exercises on my off days with only 1 day leftover to rest will make my body hurt too much :/ I really want to be consistent and not get put off by so much pain. What did you guys do when you literally first started your fitness plans? I am a complete beginner. Thanks! :) also I bought some trainers from a runner's shop where they watched me run on a treadmill to assess what type of shoes I need. So expensive :/ but hopefully the quality, safety and comfort will be worth it
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    TheHuff_ wrote: »
    Alsooo, I don't know how to incorporate bodyweight training. I want to build up my strength levels but I'm worried that running 3 times a week and doing bodyweight exercises on my off days with only 1 day leftover to rest will make my body hurt too much :/I really want to be consistent and not get put off by so much pain. What did you guys do when you literally first started your fitness plans? I am a complete beginner. Thanks! :) also I bought some trainers from a runner's shop where they watched me run on a treadmill to assess what type of shoes I need. So expensive :/ but hopefully the quality, safety and comfort will be worth it
    Start off slooowwwwwlyyyyyyy and gradually ramp it up. Don't treat it like a race. Do one rep of each exercise the first time you work out, do two reps the next time and gradually work up from there.

^ This advice courtesy of a guy who has repeatedly not taken his own advice throughout his life, and has repeatedly experienced being unable to raise his arms high enough to wash his hair in the shower because it felt like somebody was sticking red-hot, dull, rusty knives dipped in acid into his triceps muscles. And for who the simple act of sitting down or standing up from the toilet was like an excruciating journey into the seventh level of Hell because his quads, hamstrings and calves were so sore.

Because he repeatedly went back into the gym figuring that whatever he could do six months ago, he could surely still do now. Yep, jump right back in there at the same weight, same reps, same number of sets - hell, throw an extra set or two in there, feels good! And didn't learn the first time, or the second or third, so got to experience it plenty of times before he finally figured it out. He wasn't a very bright gym bro in his younger days.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, for this distance it’s probably your brains happy “I achieved something” excitement that made you feel so wonderful. But this excitement is equally as rewarding so that’s great!! But just like any new cool thing that is super shiny and exciting in the beginning it will wear off... to an extent. At that point we have to use more effort to convince ourselves.

I read once that the runners high takes 20 min to kick in... no idea if it’s true or not...but ever since, on days I feel super unmotivated or lazy or unexcited about the activity-ie when the excitement wears off- I tell myself “in 20 min I’ll get my high” and make myself reach that point. So far it’s never failed me, and I always end up happier and more energetic as long as I make it past that time. It’s all mental I’m sure, but it works for me lol.

That’s great you got fitted for the right shoes, it IS worth it!

Just listen to your body, do some weights/body weights and see how you feel the next day... extremely sore? Take a day off, not sore at all? Do some the next day or different ones. If you do them on the same days as you run you can still have as many days of rest but be getting in strength too. It’s all up to you and you can just do as much or as little as your body is ready for. When I first started I was so sore the day after, but then the next time i did the work out I wasn’t sore at all... our body’s adjust pretty quick.

Take it slow with running, no need to sprint especially not yet... the couch to 5k is a really good suggestion, it’ll help you avoid unnecessary injury. Feel free to add me as a friend in here I love following other runners :)
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have found that I get something I can only describe as "runner's high" about 7-9 minutes into 10 minutes of HIIT after 50+ minutes of weight training. It is fairly...well you know it happens, there is no maybe. It doesn't happen every time. I haven't tried cardio without the weight lifting first, or endurance cardio.

That have stated recently that runners high is connected to endocannabinoids, not endorphins.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I always say that the "runner's high" is just like what comes after hitting yourself in the head with a hammer over and over again - it feels so freaking good when you finally stop! :D

...The one thing that you'll find is that as you become more fit and more experienced at running that you will have runs where everything is just working right and you feel amazing afterward and runs that are not so good. There are so many variables, quality and quantity of sleep the night before, weather, hydration, nutrition, hormones etc. The real trick is getting back out after a bad run as those are the ones that test our character...
    ^ This is 100% truth. There are days where it feels like you're running on a cloud and could go forever, and there are days when you feel like you're slogging uphill in mud wearing combat boots filled with lead. Don't let the bad ones ruin the good ones.

This.

I came to the conclusion that I hate training runs. What I *love* are races. So I slog through the training runs to get the absolute glee of the race weekend.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm a junkie for runner's high. If I'm going all out, I can get it after a brief period. If you were going all out, maybe that's why you got it quickly, too.

If I'm just taking it easy, then I need to be going for awhile to get it. I only get it after I've really worked myself - either in intensity or in endurance. But even if I don't get quite that high every time, I still like the overall energetic, but simultaneously relaxed, feeling I have in general when I'm active, so I'm active every single day. (Not just in running, but mountain biking, hill hiking, etc.) And I'm a very happy person because of it! I have such a positive mindset when it comes to exercise and I look forward to it. It's one of life's joys! B)

I don't have "bad running days" like some of the other commenters here. I guess I'm lucky. I mean, sometimes I start off not feeling too great at the beginning (and getting started could be a little challenging), but by the time I've warmed up - and especially by the time I'm done, I ALWAYS feel better.

Carry on with your runner's high and enjoy it when you get it! <3
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I read once that the runners high takes 20 min to kick in... no idea if it’s true or not...but ever since, on days I feel super unmotivated or lazy or unexcited about the activity-ie when the excitement wears off- I tell myself “in 20 min I’ll get my high” and make myself reach that point. So far it’s never failed me, and I always end up happier and more energetic as long as I make it past that time. It’s all mental I’m sure, but it works for me lol...

Wow! That's really interesting. I do notice that on days where I'm dragging a bit and feeling like my run might be a bust, that at about the 15-20 minute mark - give or take a few - I usually perk up and start to feel good. I tell myself that I just need to get through that "warm-up" period and I'll be fine. And I'm always fine - if not awesome. Often, I end up really rocking it on those days. Might be mental, might not, but I'm cool with the placebo effect when it works! The mind is a powerful force. :D
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    It's a free endogenous drug that has positive impact on your health & the only drug I am fine with getting "high" off of. Hopefully, you'll make a habit of it for the rest of your life