Who has used MFP only for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    MFP logging got me from 173 to 140 in five or six months. I'm 5' 6". Frankly, I lost too fast and lost some muscle tone in my arms, despite some small bit of weight lifting. So don't necessarily set your daily intake at the bottom 1200 calories! I started the Couch to 5K program and worked up to being able to run a 5K last summer. I also took Zumba classes and walked a lot. The exercise was great because it earned me some more calories to eat. Yum! My hint is to include a "treat" most days. I would log in a cookie or piece of pie, or a square of Ritter Sport chocolate, so that I didn't feel deprived every day. Sometimes it was a choice between some avocado or a cookie, and I didn't beat myself up for choosing the cookie. The MFP approach was sustainable for me because I didn't feel like I had to suffer to be successful.
  • FrostysHouse
    FrostysHouse Posts: 20 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    ...it also encourages excercise as the additional calories can be regarded as an immediate 'reward' for the effort at the end of a day. ... Easier said than done but finding a sport or activity which burns calories and is really enjoyable is much more sustainable than simply controlling intake. (Which EVERYONE gets fed up with eventually!!)

These are good and useful points. I like that exercise reward, too!

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I've done WW and Atkins.....lost weight on both but didn't keep it off.
    WW is an expense and Atkins meant limited carbs.I need accountability and connection to a site for questions as well as tracking and food search site.
    MFP is perfect for me with my loss of 27 lbs.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I am so glad a friend told me about MFP because I was way out of control and disgusted myself :s
  • BoterhamMetPindakaas
    Options
    Me. I saw myself on video with my oldest daughter (she's 5) and I saw a fat mom. That's not what I want to be, it's not what I want to teach my children. That was my aha moment. It was 5 months ago, I have lost 46 lbs since that day and went from a BMI of 28 to 21.5. Lost it all by tracking my calorie intake using MFP, and walking a little more often. And I am never going back.
  • DefinitelyDoingThis
    Options
    Wow! All your journeys are amazing and inspirational. I just start on MFP 7 days ago and am loving it. I would be thrilled if you would add me to your circle and keep each other motivated. Blessings to you from the Pacific NW
  • randielizabethwatts
    Options
    Me! 🙋‍♀️ I just finished a small bag of chips and it’s 7am. No I can’t do that all the time and choose lower calorie/ nutrient dense food most of the time but when I really want something I make it work. And I don’t plan to go over my calories today :)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting only here, it's the simplest and kindest to the self I think! I work out a lot and did mostly cardio to pad my cals when losing, but in maintenance for 18 months or so now and the fitness has become its own thing, for the fun/because I can and for the aesthetic benefits.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Having grown up with a morbidly obese mother, I've always been paranoid about my weight. I've been dieting on and off since college (Atkins, keto, paleo, going vegan), but it wasn't until I had a car accident with a head injury in my early 30s that things got out of control. It caused hypothyroidism, weight gain, and much angst, until my nurse MIL, listening to me complain about how I couldn't lose weight and I was always cold, told me to get my thyroid checked. I love that woman.

After my diagnosis, I discovered MFP. Between keeping my calories in check and taking my Armour, I went from 160# to 130#, but I still didn't get it. I started eating all the things as soon as my weight was down, and put myself almost right back to where I started within a year. Because I suck like that.

I came back to what I knew worked, but things are different for me. I can't say when or why things changed, but I don't care about the number on the scale anymore. I still watch my calories, don't get me wrong. But I've gotten into working out, and my goal has changed from being the weight I was when I graduated college (HA!) to being fitter than I've ever been. Or at least fitter than any other chick at my high school reunion, my bodybuilder friend excepted. :p
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Me.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I only use MFP. I count my calories and log in my exercise, it helps me be accountable for what I put in my body and helps me drop the ten pounds or so that slowly creep up every couple of years. It helps get me back on track. Don't diet, change your habits and make it your life style. Eat healthy, exercise and live life!
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I'm doing only MFP calorie counting, nothing else, and no exercise.

Today is my 77th day. I had originally set up to lose 0.5 lbs per week, and I've lost 5.2 lbs which is slightly behind the 6 lbs I should be had I stuck with the plan for the past 77 days. I didn't, I took a 10 day break on Day 62 (but still logged everything even though I ignored the calorie goal) and resumed 5 days ago on day 72.

The calorie deficit works. I've also been regularly consuming chocolate, cookies, and wine.
  • counting_kilojoules
    Options
    I'm only using MFP for calorie counting. In the past when I've wanted to lose weight I've just eaten a bit less/exercised a bit more. This time I was having more trouble and heard about MFP through someone on the internet. I'm really glad I did as it's made life a lot easier.

I didn't have an "aha" moment as such. I'd put on weight because of medication and illness and was feeling pretty helpless about it as I was having so much trouble taking it off. I didn't even think of other diets such as weight watcher and the rest. The thing that drew me to MFP and puts me off other diets is that with MFP you chose what you eat. You don't have to restrict anything or cut out food groups. I think that's much healthier (both mentally and physically [not that I'm always the healthiest eater around!])