Protein Shortage

Options
Looking at my daily nutrition I am seeing that I NEVER eat enough protein. Any suggestions? I hate protein powders. Real foods that are high in protein without being high in fat?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Lean meat, egg whites, Greek yogurt
    Pretty simple
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Lean meat, egg whites, Greek yogurt
    Pretty simple

Seconded. And actually the egg yolks are just fine too. I always go whole egg.

I aim for about 80 g of protein per day and don't usually have a problem hitting it with minimal planning. I just always make sure I'm getting 3-4 oz of meat in my lunch (or a couple eggs) and 6-7 in my dinner. That gets me to 50-60 g and between cheese and bread at either or both meals I tend to get the rest of the way. If I know I'm going to be light on protein for either meal I will make sure to have a snack of greek yogurt in the afternoon.

**editing to add, don't be afraid of fat. Unless for medical reasons you have been told to steer clear, you should be eating some fat at every meal. If you don't then you will miss out on fat-soluble vitamins and minerals that come in your fruits & veggies. It also helps you feel more satiated.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Real foods that are high in protein are often also high in fat. And you need many other nutrients, not just protein, and balanced meals are delicious, so just balance your meals.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Chicken (white meat), shrimp, and eggs are my go to “real” food proteins. I’ve been known to have shrimp cocktail for lunch with a couple servings of veggies.
  • lyzxyzzy
    lyzxyzzy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Depending on if you are ready to strictly follow a diet, a protein supplement would help. To hit my daily intake of around 150g, I include Silk's high protein nut milk, regular milk, beans (all types), peas, any lean meat, greek yogurt (under 15g protein a serving is not allowed), and a couple scoops of protein powder.
  • cmvanzalinge
    cmvanzalinge Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like chicken breast roast turkey breast, tuna, salmon eggs, lean pork. elk meat is a high packed protein with little fat if you don’t get the farm raised kind.
  • MegaTunez11
    MegaTunez11 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Oikos greek yogurt- 15G a pop
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Anvil already posted the definitive answer. ^^^^

Really. Links to a huge spreadsheet of protein-containing foods, listed in order by protein efficiency (most protein for fewest calories).