DASH Diet

Options
I was wondering if anyone currently follows the DASH diet and what a typical day looks like for you? I am a super busy single mother of two, work full time go to school part time and take care of my grandmother who is also in need to following the DASH diet. I want to be able to meal prep for both of us if possible just trying to get some ideas of what the meal plan should look like. Thanks!!!! :)

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the mayo clinic has a few sample menus
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    My doctor highly recommended the DASH Eating Plan when both my blood pressure and cholesterol levels were unacceptable but I told her I wanted to attempt control through nutrition rather than pills. That said, I'm also using to lose some weight but have just started. It isn't an odd diet at all. Because D.A.S.H. is an acronym for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension, developed through research, isn't flukey sometimes it doesn't get all the accolades that it should. You can google lots of sources (and FB as well) but also include this site in your planning. It gives the background as well as a guide for the diet itself. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/dash-eating-plan

Oh! A typical day includes proteins, vegetables, fruit, dairy products, whole grains. For dieters there are models out there for reduced calories but it will easily work for your family as a very well rounded way to eat.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone currently follows the DASH diet and what a typical day looks like for you? I am a super busy single mother of two, work full time go to school part time and take care of my grandmother who is also in need to following the DASH diet. I want to be able to meal prep for both of us if possible just trying to get some ideas of what the meal plan should look like. Thanks!!!! :)

Hi. Not following DASH, but keep an eye open on intakes esp if high salt, high fat for BP, hypertension etc