Stationery Bike or Regular Bike?

Options
Good morning MFP friends! I need some input. Because of a knee problem I have, I can only do exercises with no impact to my left knee or leg. Bicycling has been recommended to me. So I am planning to buy either a regular bike or a stationery (since I can only afford one!) My old regular bike died and went to heaven.... so right now I have neither.

Does anyone recommend one over the other and for what reasons? I do live in a cold weather state and it gets cold and snowy in the winter, so I'm thinking the stationery bike is probably the better option, but I'm not sure if they both offer the same benefits.

I'd love to hear your take on this! Thanks!

Replies

• funkyed
    funkyed Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I live in Michigan where winter is an issue, so I would say get a stationary bike...Our fitness center has both upright and recumbent bikes...I prefer the recumbent because it is easier on my back...I ride 60 minutes each visit at a light to moderate rate...Generally I burn about 600 calories per MFP...I do it in 20 loops using the computer programs on the stationary bike which is a Matrix brand unit...Have lost 30 lbs. since April...My vote is for the stationary bike.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would vote for the regular bike. it is 10,000 times more fun. You can always go to a gym to use a stationary in the winter. or swim for cross training
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Oh and make sure you keep your gears low, and your cadence high or you will put stress on your knees
  • Huskychemist
    Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'd consider getting a regular bike with a trainer so you can use it indoors in the winter. It's obviously a bit more expensive than the bike alone, but it might be worth considering. Maybe you could buy the bike used from craigslist or the classifieds, or PlayItAgain Sports, and use the saved money to get a trainer.

Good luck!
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Personally I just love my stationary bike......

I've set it up so I can watch either a TV shows on DVD while at it (when doing volume training) or have my music collection booming (when doing intensity training).

I for one am more likely to get my but on the bike once the wife and kid has been sent to bed if it is indoor rather than outdoors. Off course when the weather is good it would be great to ride outside, but when the weather is bad there just is no excuse and I have to go exercise....
  • mrt84
    mrt84 Posts: 1
    Options
    I would really recommend getting a regular bike, I do lots of cycling and you burn lots more calories on a regular bike, It can be hard at first but easy gears spin your legs, build up starting at 20 minutes a day, and slowly increase this over time may be adding 10 minutes each week, make sure your seat is at the correct hight, when you foot is at the bottom of the pedal stroke your knee should be slightly bent, this will help save your knees. I now can cycle over 2 hours, covering 30 plus miles, and I burn about 1200 calories, it really make all the difference in the world, over winter I get out when I can or go to the gym. Hope this helps. but do what best for you, but on a stationery bike you will get board and will not push yourself as much as you would on a normal bike.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help. I really do want a regular bike...... but I think I also want a stationery bike! Maybe I try looking for some good used ones as Huskychemist posted.... then I can have both!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'd consider getting a regular bike with a trainer so you can use it indoors in the winter. It's obviously a bit more expensive than the bike alone, but it might be worth considering. Maybe you could buy the bike used from craigslist or the classifieds, or PlayItAgain Sports, and use the saved money to get a trainer.

Good luck!

^^^^ this! you can usually get good deals on trainers on craigslist!
  • Speedy89
    Speedy89 Posts: 64
    Options
    as far as a workout it's the same thing...but biking for real is soooo much more fun, it makes your workout something to look forward to. I'd say buy a real bike (preferrably a road bike), and put a computer on it to monitor your speed/distance, put the sensor on the back wheel so you can use it with a trainer indoors if weather prevents you from going outside.

I recommend a road bike because it's range of motion for your legs is much higher than you would get on a mountain bike or hybrid/cruiser allowing you to develop longer muscles throughout your leg (even your hip flexors, calves, and hip abductors get toned)...also because you have to stay hunched over while riding it, it works out your core a bit as well (just a bit)

Also road bikes are super fast, honestly nothing feels better.