Needing to lose 100lbs

Options
Looking for others just starting out that need to lose 100lbs or more. To support and motivate each other...

Replies

• georgiesalas77
    georgiesalas77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same here. Already lost 40 but have about another 100 to go
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose weight, you're already motivated, and you're here, so you've taken the first step. Now don't get lost. The best support you can get, is to learn what you need to do and understand what you don't need to do, and then figure out your own way forward. Too often people join in to share how much they struggle, and it's very hard to get out of that rut, because it feels so good, paradoxically, to think about your suffering.

I really really encourage you to look for and listen to people who have lost a lot of weight and kept it off.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Me too. 120 lbs to go.
  • doodleb54
    doodleb54 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have 100 pounds to lose. This is one of the hardest things I have ever done. Not only do I have the pounds to lose, I am lacking in motivation to exercise. I am great at planning and staying on track, but with exercise I really have a hard time. My schedule is terrible. I am either at work (9 hrs.) or commuting (2 hrs). So, 11 hours of my day are either working or commuting. I am exhausted when I get home, and at work, if I have a lot to do I am chained to my desk. So, working out is difficult. I really need to start getting out of bed when the alarm goes off at 4:15 a.m. and getting a workout in. Any suggestions?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    @doodleb54 Lots of benefits in exercise. But it’s vastly overrated as a weight loss tool. A food diary seems to be the best weight loss tool. So if that’s going well, keep at it.

To the extent that I denote a little kick in trying to get up at 4:15 to exercise, maybe you want to rethink. I’m retired now. But when I was working I had years of an awful commute. Looking back, it’s something I regret.

But based on my experience, I’m wondering if you’ve considered yoga? Yeah, it’s not a cardio calorie burn or an iron pumping muscle builder, but it pushes back against modern life. I look at it as trying to undue those years of commuting to my office job. You might find you can do a wee bit to start the morning and more after work to wind down. If you’re working that hard do you really want to be trading sleep for exercise? Give yourself a break.

As to weight loss, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    doodleb54 wrote: »
    I have 100 pounds to lose. This is one of the hardest things I have ever done. Not only do I have the pounds to lose, I am lacking in motivation to exercise. I am great at planning and staying on track, but with exercise I really have a hard time. My schedule is terrible. I am either at work (9 hrs.) or commuting (2 hrs). So, 11 hours of my day are either working or commuting. I am exhausted when I get home, and at work, if I have a lot to do I am chained to my desk. So, working out is difficult. I really need to start getting out of bed when the alarm goes off at 4:15 a.m. and getting a workout in. Any suggestions?
    I get the impression that you feel stressed and frazzled and maybe a little "coming apart at the seams." If that's the case, then I think might be good to concentrate on taking care of yourself. Things like making sure you have nutritious & tasty lunches and snacks during the long stressful days at work, even if you have to go to a little extra effort and expense to make that happen. Insisting on taking a least half an hour for lunch so that you can eat peacefully and maybe take a quiet stroll around the building before you put your nose back to the grindstone. And taking the time for grooming and personal care so that you can look and feel kempt and cared for.

It could be that a few smallish things like this will help you to feel more energetic and motivated towards making bigger changes in your life. (And, you know, it's like chicken soup - it couldn't hurt.) (Come to think of it, a nice bowl of chicken soup could be good for you, too ;) )

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    @melissathompsonphotog

Sorry. Didn’t mean to hijack your thread. Something hit a nerve.

I know you’re looking for folks who are losing, but add me if you’d like. I’ve lost 100lbs. And kept it off for years. I can say for a fact it can be done.
  • GeauxL
    GeauxL Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 100lbs with about 10 to go, Welcome Aboard!
    First things first, you have made the decision to do this, that is always the hardest/scariest part. What worked for me is/was pre-planning meals, grocery lists, even outings, & logging foods on MFP. Never be unprepared; if you can help it. It takes a while to get the planning part down but once you get your routine down, it’ll be easier. Don’t allow yourself to get in a rut, be adventurous with your meals/snacks; boredom will be a trap. And, something I’m still struggling with; don’t feel guilty when you slip up; just start fresh the next day. Also, try not to categorize food as “good vs bad”. You may have to stay away from some foods at first but ALL food is good, it’s the portion sizes than can be bad. After a bad couple of weeks of “diet burnout”from being so strict, I finally took the advice of everyone here & allowed myself to indulge, with portion control, in things that I really craved. It has made a world of difference in my attitude towards this weight loss journey & new healthy life style. I don’t feel punished anymore & it’s teaching me how to eat like a “normal” person. Also, it’s not about what diet you follow, choose the one that satisfies YOU, don’t worry about what diet your friend is on, what supplements your friend is taking, do what works for you. Remember it is all about calories in vs calories out. One last thing, come here & ask questions & just look around the message boards; I’ve learned so much from people here. Someone on here has been where you are, had the same issues you have, had the same questions, & has advice for you. Good luck!
  • Chelsi1028
    Chelsi1028 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 with another 80-85 to go! I'm always looking for more support and willing to give support. Doesn't matter if you're just starting, or at the end, or kept it off. Support is support in my book. And I guess I believe in a blance of exercise and eating. With more emphasis on the eating. The more muscle you have the more it boosts your metabolism. Or so they say. So go ahead and add me!
  • Pixiepower1
    Pixiepower1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    me too
  • ladyethorne1
    ladyethorne1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, have fun with whatever program/method you follow. I have 70 - 90 lbs to lose, and one of the things that keeps me inspired is literally "playing" with my food (i.e. creating new recipes and trying to come up with alternatives to some of my favorite and less healthy foods). Whatever inspires you, let it be your focus at first. Be it cooking, exercise, some new activity, whatever strikes your fancy that makes you feel good about your journey and takes you in the right direction. For me, I found the rest of me followed where my heart led in the beginning, and all those doubts and struggles melted away under the fun.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    @melissathompsonphotog @doodleb54 The good news is that with 100lbs or more to lose exercise is not your top priority. No matter your schedule you can control your net calories. Follow the MFP guidance and you will see the scale drop. Enter a virtuous circle in which weight loss leads to lower joint pain and increased energy. When you feel able you add more walking to your daily routine. Exercise will improve your frame of mind and keep you out of the kitchen. Look for mini goals (a change in the tens digit of your weight is always an nice one). Take pictures today to capture the "before". Take measurements now to capture the "before". Take note of the small but measurable improvements. Celebrate each little victory (without chocolate cake!) and keep going.
  • sophipattersonx
    sophipattersonx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have around 130 to lose. Serial yo-yo dieter over the years. Anybody feel free to add me who has a lot to lose
  • Jade0147
    Jade0147 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have 150 to lose! I’ve been on here a while now but really wanting to stick to it this time! Good luck! I’m more than happy for people to add me, the more support and help the better ❤️
  • bethhagan
    bethhagan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Day One...I want to lose 100 pounds.
    I saw a full body photo of myself this weekend and was horrified. I have lacked motivation to get started until today. After sitting at a desk all day, I have no energy to exercise when I get home. My weakness is diet soda and chocolate. Any suggestions as to a first step?
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    🙋‍♀️
  • dlarsen1313
    dlarsen1313 Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I'm recently back on the bandwagon. Goal is 100 by end of 2020. I have a bucketlist item that is my motivation. So, here we go!!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    bethhagan wrote: »
    Day One...I want to lose 100 pounds.
    I saw a full body photo of myself this weekend and was horrified. I have lacked motivation to get started until today. After sitting at a desk all day, I have no energy to exercise when I get home. My weakness is diet soda and chocolate. Any suggestions as to a first step?

This sounds familiar. I had a "last straw" moment that went beyond motivation, it was more profound than that, it changed me some how. Getting my weight under control became a core value (the negative spin on that would be an obsession). Today I saw another person in the F2F Weight Loss Challenge Group (which I recommend) said that motivation can come from the act of doing it. So, in exercise, if you exercise one day, the next time it will be just a little bit easier to muster the energy to go do it. It can snowball from there. Same effect in diet control. Passing on that chocolate (or that movie popcorn) once will make it easier to pass on the next time. Setbacks, absolutely. Getting back on the wagon is always the key for success. It too follows the pattern, get back on the wagon once makes subsequent remounts easier and easier. Those add up to consistent weight loss over time. Also, each 5 pounds you lose will give you a boost of energy and ability. First step? Use the MFP tools to develop your calorie limit and then log your food like a scientist (honest measurements!). Net calories is your lodestar.
  • SandyH2015
    SandyH2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 49, an empty nester and have 100lbs to lose. I started back on MFP about a month ago and am down 15lbs so far. Also, I have an open diary and am very interactive with my MFP friends. Anyone can add me!