savory hot cereal

Options
lorindariess
lorindariess Posts: 10 Member
If you haven't tried it yet savory hot cereal is delicious and will keep you fuller longer than one loaded with sugar. This is oat bran cereal with 28 grams of low fat cheddar cheese, 14 grams of bacon (before cooking) a large fried egg and salsa on top.lhwmo77l7o0l.jpg

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,660 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to Chinese congee, which is made with rice and served with salted boiled eggs and pickled turnip.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like savory oatmeal, with a fried egg, bacon, avocado etc. It is so filling. I am stuffed after eating that.
  • lorindariess
    lorindariess Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've also done it with avacado and bacon too but used goat cheese instead
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I love savory oatmeal. With some melted cheese and salt and pepper. I know it sounds weird but it's yummy. I feed it to my 7 year all the time, and I feel it's supporting his growing body's nutritional needs much better than his favorite cold cereal.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I’m going to try this at home too. The only time I’ve had savoury oatmeal was at a fancy restaurant where it had a risotto type texture. Served with pan fried cod, deep fried cod skin crackling and a basil oil. It never occurred to me to make it myself.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I had actually forgotten all about savoury oatmeal, I may have it at home sometime too. Next time we do breakfast for dinner I'm whipping up some oatmeal for myself (not for my husband though, he would be appalled lol)
  • klovesd84
    klovesd84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of savoury oatmeal. I can’t wait to try this!!
  • acpgee
    Options
    I was looking on the web for recipes similar to the risotto style savoury oatmeal I once had at a fancy restaurant from the dinner menu. Probably something along these lines. I think I will serve with pesto and air fried cod and air fried cod skin in an attempt to reproduce what I had at the restaurant.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/11486418/Savoury-porridge-annoying-trend-or-delicious-for-dinner.html
  • acpgee
    Options
    Another dinner time treatment for savoury oat meal. I would consider topping this with nutritional yeast. I think adopting polenta recipes might also yield a lot of ideas.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/this-mushroom-risotto-is-feeling-its-oats/2018/02/22/17552b2c-15b0-11e8-8b08-027a6ccb38eb_story.html?utm_term=.418bb70e9655
  • mightykaytor
    mightykaytor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love savory oatmeal. One recipe I do is flavoured with 2 tbsp of soy sauce, a dash of fish sauce, 1 tbsp of vegetarian oyster sauce, mix in some fried mushrooms, and diced green onions and top with an egg and sriracha. Delicious, filling, and under 350 calories.

Another recipe with a more mediterranean theme: use a chicken oxo packet in the water, mix some dried oregano into the oatmeal, saute some kalamata/black olives, garlic and sundried tomato, then mix that into your oatmeal and top with a bit of feta. So. Good.