How Many calories should I put in each meal?

Options
Ok,

I'm not new to this but I need to know roughly how many calories I need in each meal.
I had a wake up call to how unhealthy I'm being at the moment!
I'm eating only 1200 calories ish and burning 800 on exercise!!

Any way, I want to continue with the exersice but I really need to eat more. I calculated I need about 2000-2200.
Breakfast is the hardest. My usual routine is having a 400 ish calorie breakfast which is usually cereal and a banana and some cranberry juice. Then I would burn 200-300 cals and feel like collapsing by lunch. The rest of my meals are along the same calorie lines and exercise.

Can anyone suggest a healthy meal plan (or only breakfast? :) )

Replies

• raydeb
    raydeb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Natural rolled Quick Oats are good with some fruit Half banana or grapes this will fill you up till lunch with coffee around 250 cals
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    the breakdown of "each meal" is not that important. It's more about the total day. Just aim for your goal. And you are SO right that 1200 is not enough. Good for you for aiming for more. 1200 is disgustingly low.

Protein will keep you MUCH fuller MUCH longer for breakfast. Have eggs or egg whites with some turkey sausage or ham and maybe one little piece of toast, but the carbs get burned through so quick they don't sustain you for long. The eggs and meat will stay with you a couple of hours longer.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I have about 200 at breakfast, 300 at lunch, 400 at dinner and the last 300 I try and save for snacking or wine in the evening.
  • neesono
    neesono Posts: 61
    Options
    As Robin said try to get that good protein early on. When I was trying to figure out how to balance my food intake so I could reach my goals a very wise MFPer told me "Eat like a king at breakfast, a prince at lunch, and a pauper at dinner." Of course you'll have your snacks throughout the day to help keep your metabolism humming.