Sugar detox (cravings)

Options
SaraRoush
SaraRoush Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2018 in Motivation and Support
How can I do a sugar detox?

Important staff note: We temporarily removed this discussion when it was first posted, given the title and not much extra information, we weren't sure it was legit and we knew it wouldn't go well. We have contacted the OP to get more information which I am including below. Do not use this discussion to debate or argue about the addictive nature of sugar. Please address the OP's desire for assistance in curbing her sugar cravings or move on. Thank you!

I recently lost over 200 pounds and now I feel like I want sugary foods constantly however I want to remove or detox my body from the sugar. I have it's overwhelming the feeling of wanting sweets I don't know what's causing this the first two years to of my weight loss no issues but now it won't stop.

Replies

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @SaraRoush This is where I moved your discussion.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sweet things taste good. Maybe you just feel deprived. Your body produces its own sugar, so it's not like sugar is toxic.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So when I need something sweet but have no or too few calories left, I will have a diet soda, or a mint flavored tea. I'll add a small square of dark chocolate if I'm really "snacky" and need to chew something. Or sugarless gum will work sometimes too.

I eat a small sugary snack almost every day just because I like them and I never have an "overwhelming" need for sugar, so my honest answer is maybe try having a little something sweet every once and awhile, unless obviously you have a health-related reason not to. Single serving chocolates, Fiber One brownies, and popsicles are ways I like to "indulge" while staying low cal. But if that's not an option, maybe my first paragraph will help. Good luck!
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I personally make sure to keep my favorite fruits on hand, so when I get a sweet tooth they are readily available, and as a result are what I go for. Sugar addiction is the worst, best of luck to you. You can overcome it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have you had diet breaks as you've lost weight?
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Whenever I want sugar I have a diet caffeine free coke and that helps me get through the craving.
  • valeriev626
    valeriev626 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I will have a kit kat mini at 23 calories each. Or a mini peppermint patty at 50 calories. I don't normally like mint, so one of those will fulfill my craving but I don't go back for seconds because of the mint. Good luck. I too have sugar cravings.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I rarely get a craving for sweet, but when I do I go for a diet Dr.Pepper soda. To me, it's sweeter than any other diet soda, and kills any sweet craving I had once I drink it. Also, I sometimes will buy a bottle to have so I can have something in place of dessert.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have to keep sweet food out of the house. The exception: I save room for ice-cream every day. If I know I can have that sugar thing every day Im ok.
    Otherwise try cold turkey no sugar. Just make sure you have plenty of fluids and are eating the right foods. After some time the cravings go away
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I save 200-300 calories every day so I can have ice cream or chocolate before bed. Knowing I get to have dessert later keeps me from eating it throughout the day (usually).
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    For me what has worked and keeps from going overboard has been the no sugar jello boxed puddings. I make with 1.5 c of milk so they are much thicker than normal. They are sweet, I add nuts and some types fruit. And keeps from going hog wild, abandoning ship type of events. Maybe if you went and bought just a slice of something sweet it would help, so it takes away the craving. But the house does not have more in it.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Two things have helped me. One was using sugarless products like crystal light and sugarless candy in moderation. It doesn't seem to set me off. The other was to increase protein a bit and lower the amount of refined carbs I was eating. Seems like everytime I start eating mostly carbs I am craving all the time.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I'm trying out reducing my refined sugar intake. Many days would be over 100g. Today I will be having 55g. I've decided that I can choose between goal weight or refined sugar, I can't have both.