Messing up every day

Options
Super tired and stressed about something and I'm eating like crap to compensate. Chocolate, ice cream etc. Any words of wisdom? I know better but I feel like quitting.

Replies

• flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    What are your goals and do you want them bad enough? Exercise is great for stress.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Make a plan that's harder to quit. Stock up on foods your rational mind wants you to eat and reserve treats for special occasions.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't always have to be the priority... maintaining while you have other stuff going on is acceptable too.

But, as the saying goes, if hunger isn't the issue then food isn't the solution.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Address the causes of your stress instead of turning by default to food.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    vinisc wrote: »
    Super tired and stressed about something and I'm eating like crap to compensate. Chocolate, ice cream etc. Any words of wisdom? I know better but I feel like quitting.

Quitting doesn't have to be permanent. It's okay to take a break, but I would still weigh and log everything you eat, so you have a record of what you eat and how much at stressful times. When you're feeling better you can make more informed decisions about the comfort food you eat. You can decide to swap high calorie comfort foods for lower calorie chocolate, ice cream etc for instance, once you're out of this funk.

You also have to try to find non-food ways of dealing with stress, like buying some cheap dishes at a charity shop, finding a quiet wall and smashing them to pieces, punching or screaming into pillows, journaling, shrieking along to loud, angry or sad music, etc. The more non-food coping strategies you can devise, the better. And above all, don't feel guilty or beat yourself up about eating those foods. If you gain a few ounces or a pound or two from eating them, it won't take long to shed as long as you continue with your healthier eating and weight loss after this blip is over.
  • intrigame23
    intrigame23 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Take a break for a couple days.

How often do you exercise?

I began this summer using exercise as a way to destress. Now I rarely miss a day because of the huge difference it's made on my outlook. Things that used to stress me to the point of eating myself into a coma don't phase me at all.

Good luck! I😊