Macro ratios for lean muscle gain.

Options
Ive been researching timing my macros and macro ratios. Im currently trying to build lean muscle and was wondering, is there a sweet spot when it comes to macro ratios? Ive seen a lot of articles say that a 40c 30f 30p ratio works best, but others say different.
Im male, 165cm, 64kg, eating between 2750- 3000 cals per day and following sl5x5. Hoping to start PHUL after a few more months of strong lifts, to try and incorporate more hypertrophy.
What works best for you? I always hit my protein goal but carbs or fats are normally low. MFP default is 50c, 30f, 20p.
Cheers,
Ste

Replies

• Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit protein the others dont matter.
  • george5911
    george5911 Posts: 3,910 Member
    Options
    stej5639 wrote: »
    Ive been researching timing my macros and macro ratios. Im currently trying to build lean muscle and was wondering, is there a sweet spot when it comes to macro ratios? Ive seen a lot of articles say that a 40c 30f 30p ratio works best, but others say different.
    Im male, 165cm, 64kg, eating between 2750- 3000 cals per day and following sl5x5. Hoping to start PHUL after a few more months of strong lifts, to try and incorporate more hypertrophy.
    What works best for you? I always hit my protein goal but carbs or fats are normally low. MFP default is 50c, 30f, 20p.
    Cheers,
    Ste

I'm certainly no expert myself, and I do agree protien is the most important, but I wouldn't go as far as to say carbs and fat don't matter.

Carbs are important, and you need some for sure. The timing makes a difference here. I try to get mine in mostly an hour or so before workout.

Fat is also important. You need some EFA's not just for burning energy, but healthy joints and such. I try to get mist of mine from nuts like almonds and peanuts.

The macro split that works for me is P50, C25, F25. This is hard to do sometimes, I eat a lot of plain turkey and shakes are a must to hit this.
  • drmohamedrafiq
    drmohamedrafiq Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think your total caloric intake is more than needed, if you are not very physically active during your daily activity try to cut it down. This will help you build lean muscle. your Macro ratio is fine for healthy body 40/30/30.
  • stej5639
    stej5639 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Normally i would eat about 3000 calories on workout days and about 2750 on non workout days. Im very active in work so i do burn a lot off, even on rest days. Ill keep this macro ratio and make sure i keep hitting my protein. Thanks.
  • neilgib28
    neilgib28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to build muscle then I would say your protein is a bit high. High protein macro split is generally recommended when cutting. The recommended protein intake is typically 0.8 to 1g/lb, so at 65kg (143lb) then the high end of protein would be 143g (572cal), fat at around 0.4g/lb so 57g (513cal) and the rest as carbs, making your carb intake at a whopping 397g if your intake is 2750cals.
    In terms of percentages this is approximately P25, C50, F25....

Good luck!!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    0.6-0.8g protein per lb total body weight is sufficient. Like others said, make sure you're at least getting the minimum RDA for fat (which is easy if you're using animal-based protein sources) and fill out the rest of your calories by personal preference.

Meal timing isn't something to get too caught up in either, do what works best for you to hit your calories/macros.

General bulking advice; don't go too overboard on calories, you'll just end up with excess fat gain you'll need to cut anyway. FWIW I'd not go much about +250 over maintenance TDEE.

As far as your programming, I'm a huge fan of PHUL but not nearly as fond as SL. If you've been doing SL for any length of time I'd flip over to PHUL sooner than later.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    0.6-0.8g protein per lb total body weight is sufficient. Like others said, make sure you're at least getting the minimum RDA for fat (which is easy if you're using animal-based protein sources) and fill out the rest of your calories by personal preference.

Meal timing isn't something to get too caught up in either, do what works best for you to hit your calories/macros.

General bulking advice; don't go too overboard on calories, you'll just end up with excess fat gain you'll need to cut anyway. FWIW I'd not go much about +250 over maintenance TDEE.

As far as your programming, I'm a huge fan of PHUL but not nearly as fond as SL. If you've been doing SL for any length of time I'd flip over to PHUL sooner than later.

Agree on all points. Particularly surplus, meal timing and switching to PHUL.
  • stej5639
    Options

Good to hear someone who likes my choice of program. Ive been doing SLfor a few months, but had 4 weeks off with injury. Ive set myself a goal to squat 100kg before changing to PHUL, current PR is 75kg. However, if i plateau before this i will probably change earlier, as squatting 3 times per week at a high weight gets hard, whereas PHUL will whave a heavier and lighter day, plus splits upper and lower, so i suppose theres more rest time. Really looking forward to PHUL now though. SL has been brilliant for strength though, as i have improved a lot since starting.
    Thanks for the input.
  • steveko89
    Options
    That's not to say you can't keep progressing your strength on PHUL, the rep range effect on strength vs. hypertrophy is far too overblown; yes lower reps are going to emphasize strength gains to an extent but it's not like you get zero strength stimulus just because you're doing higher rep work, especially at your lifting experience level. I know part of the appeal for SL is the linear progression but it's not like you couldn't try to ride linear progression on PHUL for a little while or switch to some sort of rep-over-target=weight increase progression scheme.
  • stej5639
    Options
    That's not to say you can't keep progressing your strength on PHUL, the rep range effect on strength vs. hypertrophy is far too overblown; yes lower reps are going to emphasize strength gains to an extent but it's not like you get zero strength stimulus just because you're doing higher rep work, especially at your lifting experience level. I know part of the appeal for SL is the linear progression but it's not like you couldn't try to ride linear progression on PHUL for a little while or switch to some sort of rep-over-target=weight increase progression scheme.

Very true. I think thats why PHUL appeals to me, because on power days i can keep on progressing the way i have been but ill also have hypertrophy days. Also, squatting twice a week, as opposed to 3 times a week will probably help my progression, due to more rest i guess.
  • steveko89
    Options

Very true. I think thats why PHUL appeals to me, because on power days i can keep on progressing the way i have been but ill also have hypertrophy days. Also, squatting twice a week, as opposed to 3 times a week will probably help my progression, due to more rest i guess.

If nothing else I think it's a far better balanced program. There's not enough pressing volume in SL for my taste.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    george5911 wrote: »
    Cheers,
    Ste

I'm certainly no expert myself, and I do agree protien is the most important, but I wouldn't go as far as to say carbs and fat don't matter.

Carbs are important, and you need some for sure. The timing makes a difference here. I try to get mine in mostly an hour or so before workout.

Fat is also important. You need some EFA's not just for burning energy, but healthy joints and such. I try to get mist of mine from nuts like almonds and peanuts.

The macro split that works for me is P50, C25, F25. This is hard to do sometimes, I eat a lot of plain turkey and shakes are a must to hit this.

Man you must get gas on that split
  • george5911
    Options
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    Cheers,
    Ste

No actually, veggies give me gas. I was worried about digestive issues of all kinds when I first tried, but none so far at all. I get hungry a lot more, but that is a result of the lower fat I believe.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Cheers,
    Ste

Haha. Yea that would have me at 438g protein on a bulk. Yeeeouch
  • george5911
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Cheers,
    Ste

Oh god no! 205g to 210g on an accurate day. I'm at 1900 cals and should specify I am not bulking but more in maintenance. I don't think I could tolerate much more just out of taste. I eat at least pound of turkey a day and it is boring and bland AF. It's also super easy and convenient and readily available.
  • george5911
    Options
    4b1tninfjt95.png
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Cheers,
    Ste

Oh god no! 205g to 210g on an accurate day. I'm at 1900 cals and should specify I am not bulking but more in maintenance. I don't think I could tolerate much more just out of taste. I eat at least pound of turkey a day and it is boring and bland AF. It's also super easy and convenient and readily available.

you must be short to maintain on 1900 cals?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Cheers,
    Ste

Oh then that is pretty close to where I am, except my protein is around 160g and I'm cutting.