Recommend vegetarian salty snacks.

Options
I struggle so much with snacking! Because I feel so hungry between meals, I end up binging on unhealthy stuff(read: CHIPS) Help please! I tried nuts but they just weren’t filling.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're eating enough? Having a realistic calorie goal is important for controlling hunger.

Some of my favorite salty foods that are lower calorie: Pickles, sauerkraut, roasted seaweed, popcorn, cucumber slices dressed with rice wine vinegar and soy sauce. Or if chips are what you want and you find them filling, plan to have just a serving of chips. I'll frequently measure out how much I want to eat and remind myself I can have more tomorrow if I still want some.

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is a somewhat passable filling alternative to chips.
  • Dhawa74
    Dhawa74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you tried fruit like apples or grapes? Protein bars or shakes, vegetables n hummus, popcorn, multigrain crackers with skim cheese. There are a ton of healthy snack options that are filling. Along with drinking plenty of water. Unhealthy snacking is a struggle for most, so youre not alone.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 3 celery stalks and a small packet of hummus (Costco). About 165 kcals.

Or skip the hummus and just add salt to the celery as needed to suit your taste.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes are kinda chip-like. You can even get mini and flavored ones.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Pretzels and hummus is nice and salty and you get a reasonable serving for under 200 calories. String cheese is another good one, reduced fat is usually around 50 calories but even the regular ones are only 80 calories a piece.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    what about the pop corners chips- I think they are alright-
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i agree with the Popcorners, also there are Plentils if you can find them and I like Biena roasted chickpeas. (the ranch flavor is the best)
  • AuroraGoryAlice138
    Options
    Roasted edamame (I buy the frozen stuff mix with a bit of oil, salt and pepper and bake them), roasted chickpeas are another option. Again I make my own plain, but you can get some that have different seasoning, or add spices to yours. I usually pair them up with a fruit (like half a cup of grapes, blueberries) or veggies (like a cup of carrots). Edamame has a lot of protein, and I roast them until they are really crispy so I get that nice crunch. I even sneak some in my purse for when I go to the movies and chew on that instead of popcorn.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you often feel hungry between meals, then I would recommend addressing that rather than seeking out more snack options.

First, make sure you have a sustainable and realistic calorie goal. Set MFP to lose 1 pound per week, or if you have around 20 pounds or less to lose, set your rate of loss at 0.5 pounds per week.

Second, look at your macros for protein, fiber, and fat. These are the nutrients that usually make people feel full. People vary in terms of which of these nutrients work best for making them feel full, but usually at least one of the three will help. If you eat relatively low amounts of one or more of these nutrients, then try increasing it.

Third, make sure that if you are exercising, you're eating back exercise calories. MFP intends you to eat your exercise calories. Because exercise calorie burns are usually exaggerated, we recommend that people start by eating half their exercise calories.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I agree with the others on the roasted chickpeas. I'm eating some right now. Also, kale chips. Very easy to make. Just put a bit of olive oil on kale leaves over parchment and season with whatever you like. I like just some salt or nutritional yeast. Bake on 300 until crisp. You can get these really crispy if you're patient enough.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas
    wasabi peas
    Seasoned Nori
    Cello Wisps (parmesan crisps)
  • anonuser369
    anonuser369 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas
    wasabi peas
    Seasoned Nori

Wasabi peas are very high calorie.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas
    wasabi peas
    Seasoned Nori

Wasabi peas are very high calorie.

So are nuts, but OP mentioned that as something she'd tried but didn't find filling enough. There is no indication she's only looking for low calorie options.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Agreed on roasted chickpeas and seasoned nori. Also Skinny Pop popcorn, Simply Protein "chips" (the salt and pepper flavor, specifically). Sensible Portions veggie straws work too. And you can spray flour tortillas with cooking spray, season with salt and pepper, cut them into 8ths, and bake them until crispy.

I sometimes snack on cold veggie dogs or string cheese, too.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Zucchini with salt & pepper, red peppers with hummus
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    * Raw jicama or kohlrabi slices with seasoned salt (really any crisp veggies, but these two are especially crisp even salted);
    * sauerkraut, kim chi, pickles;
    * crispy broad beans;
    * puppodums (microwaved without oil);
    * crackers (usually Suzies Flax & Spelt Thin Cakes) with fromage blanc and seasoned salt;
    * Popcorn (this is good: http://naturalchow.com/2014/03/healthy-dorito-flavored-popcorn/ , though I wouldn't say it actually tastes like Doritos)
    * very spicy, salty homemade roasted squash or pumpkin seeds (with the shells)
    * Feta cheese
    * Big greens/veggies salad dressed with vinegar and coarse sea salt

I'd second the question of whether you're eating too little, and suggest experimenting with your macros or food choices/timing if you're persistently hungry.